Carlas avatar Animals & Nature
11 28

This morning we woke up to a light frosting of snow.. maybe a half inch.

@PhilboydStudge This morning we woke up to a light frosting of snow.. maybe a half inch.

I think we have about 4 or 5 inches.
Icicles from the eaves....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2690007

Lake effect....
Starting to pile up.
It will melt, but...it will be back

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2690147

Your ground must still be warm.
It's 13 here. But going to get back into the 40's, next week.
This is just a preview.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

Rare we get snow these days. I remember as a kid the snow would pile up the side of the door and fall in on you when you opened it. 乂º◡º乂

@Ada Rare we get snow these days. I remember as a kid the snow would pile up the side of the door and fall in on you...

I will gladly send you some of mine. Right now, im looking at about 6 inches:[.
It will melt next week, but later we can build up as much a four feet. More in drifted areas
Some years, i have to shovel it off my roof for fear of collapse.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla I will gladly send you some of mine. Right now, im looking at about 6 inches:[. It will melt next week, but later...

It use to be the same here love. Now what usually happens is we'll get a really light sprinkle of snow that will then freeze into a solid sheet of ice a few hours later.
Neck breakingly slippy. 乂>_<乂

@Ada It use to be the same here love. Now what usually happens is we'll get a really light sprinkle of snow that will...

I fall at least once a year. You would think after so much practice with snow and ice, i would pay better attention. I can be a bit absent minded, at times.

But....you be careful!!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

We are having some snow since November; the snow cover is melting away after some warmer days and all is white again, a few days later. The snow cover is back since days, but they informed about warmer temperatures within soon.

But it is Saint-Nicholas Day today, and snow is normal for the season.
smile smilie

@Marianne We are having some snow since November; the snow cover is melting away after some warmer days and all is white...

It is normal here, too.
It is coming much later than normal. The snow that fell when i posted this is long gone. But this morning, we have gotten about three inches, so far.
It was 50 degrees f three days ago. Very uncommon.
But...you are in the land of white, i expect you to be buried in it:].
Happy saint-nicholas day. Going to have to google that, as i dont quite know what you are celebrating....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla It is normal here, too. It is coming much later than normal. The snow that fell when i posted this is long gone...

Oops, I forgot about the snow; formerly, it was normal here to have snow from late November / early December on. But in the past decades, we had repeatedly "green Christmas" and "white Easter", and temperatures went up and down more sharply and at a higher frequency.

No, I wouldn't like to be buried in the snow - it is not so easy to get around ...

@Marianne Oops, I forgot about the snow; formerly, it was normal here to have snow from late November / early December on...

No, not easy. Getting around here in the winter is often an adventure.
Last year was a very mild winter.
The year before the cold was severe. Temperatures dropping well below zero, staying there for weeks. We lost many young trees and established bushes.
The previous year it snowed in mid october and we didnt see the ground until may. At one point the snow from the ground, met the snow from my roof. I had to remove the roof snow three times that year. Many lost barns and homes to the snow weight.
Being buried is very common, as we get what is referred to as lake effect snow.
That's what we are getting now. If lake michigan doesnt get cold enough or freeze, the cold air that circulates over the lake freezes and we get dumped upon.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Marianne Yes, indeed, we heard often about the blizzards on your side. The climate on our side is a mixture:...

How uninfirmed i am.
My memories are photos of switzerland, coverered in snow. While reading, i see that the days of long term heavy snowfall is no more.
The same can be said for downstate michigan, where i grew up.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla How uninfirmed i am. My memories are photos of switzerland, coverered in snow. While reading, i see that the days...

Well, no, you are not so uninformed. The rougher climate is observed above 1000 - 1500 metres.
And we had a series of dry periods and winters with much less snow. The glaciers are melting much faster than previously:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aletsch_Glacier

No snow for us...we are to busy having tornadoes ono smilieomg smilie

On the first of November we had the tornado sirens going off like crazy. I had just made it to my driveway when they started. Today we are under a severe thunderstorm watch. Think Mother Nature is slightly confused in these parts

🦋