+12

Many of us have a less than favorable opinion of the so called millennial age range, but I didn't realize they have evidence to support these feelings. I have noticed a lot of the entitlement issues with new hires throughout my company over the last 5 years. It's not all people in that age group but evidently a significantly larger percentage than in the past.

I just thought the article was interesting and wondered if other people on here agree with the conclusions about millennials.

Psychologists say more and more young people are entitledResearch has discovered that large amounts of young people are developing an entitlement complex. The psychological trend comes from the belief that you are superior to others and are more deserving of certain things. This form of narcissism has some significant consequences such as disappointment and a tendency to lash out.https://www.indy100.com/article/young-people-entitlement-disappointed-narcissism-psychology-research-7867961
Will_Janitors avatar People & Celebrities
10 37
@2690185

Hell, I'm a millennial and I hate the millennials you're talking about.

@2697607

I know, I hate many of the self absorbed fragile minded millennials nowadays, I'm kinda down for being born the same time with such people

@2697634

Right Boz, Blame parents and schools for saying everything they do is so good, getting a prize for just showing up isn't gonna cut it in the real worldpce smilie

@2697740

They will of course blaime others for their own shortcomings, but hey they will be out of luck. Problem is older taxpayers will have to support them with property taxes increasing to take care of them. I feel so bad for the older people who always get the shaft for kids problems.

@2690186

Lin I agree with you, , the stupid kids can't even walk across the street without looking at the phone. I am so tempted to tap them with my bumper.

@2697822

Lin I am not better just don't want to damage my car or bother with the olicesmile smilie

I dont know many in that age group. But...i watched them being raised. And i understand how so many turned out as they did.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +10Reply

I prefer to judge people individually rather than lump them altogether. Makes me less

I agree with Linn, Boz, Synyster and Carla.
I do not agree with Rooster about handing the levers of control over to them until / unless they prove worthy.

As a millennial, I agree. We're spoiled. My general philosophy is that parents of any generation want to provide their children with things they didn't have or to not be so hard on their children as their parents were to them. Therefore, each generation will likely have it easier than previous generations... like how baby boomers had it easier than their parents who grew up in the Great Depression.

I do like to think I'm not so spoiled as my millennial peers. I was taught to have a strong work ethic and got to experience (optional) hard manual labor growing up by helping the family asphalt business. Yet still, there were many instances in which I actually wanted to face bigger responsibilities but was not given the opportunity. Any moment I implied that I showed interest in the family business, like offering to obtain my license to drive a dumptruck, my dad would tell me to stay in school and get a nice office job with a pension. He did so because he knew the struggle of owning a business. The odd part is that I've grown to embrace and almost desire struggle. In recent years I've grown to inderstand that struggle promotes growth. Mistakes form life lessons. When our parents hover over us, trying to keep us from making mistakes, they're taking away those valuable moments in life. I appreciate everything my parents have done for me. But when I imagine myself raising kids, I imagine myself being harder on them then my parents were. I sometimes wonder if any other millenials feel this way.

While we're on the topic, when the hell is this generation supposed to end? I know it starts somewhere with kids born in the 80s but it seems like it's being stretched a little far. I mean millenials are having kids now. They can't be considered millenials too, right?

I think the entitlement generation, which includes more than just millennial's, will continue as long as there is the current older generation who is stuck paying the check. When the teat runs dry, there will be riots in the street but the cash cow will be gone.

Makes me wonder how many of them people are on prescribed and/or unprescribed drugs...Some antidepressants make people act like wild animals.

I've heard this said a lot although I can't say I've noticed it with those I'm friends with or work with. My experiences might be fairly selective though.

Hey Will. They are not entitled they FEEL they are entitled, for whatever reason. Real life will knock them around until they get over themselves.

I love the Millennials.

@LeftyGrossman I love the Millennials.

I would imagine in your field they could be a lot of fun. If you were trying to hire people that come to work everyday you might not have the same feeling. :)

Good song though.