+11

Happy Veterans Day to Those Who Served

Image for post Happy Veterans Day to Those Who Served
JustJimColos avatar People & Celebrities
19 56
@2690402

Excellent post. A confederate soldier didn't choose which side he fought on. He fought for where he was born.

@2690301

My brother is out in DC for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball right now. It's something he has been attending for about 20 years. He was in 68-69. The Marines do a good job of having events for those who served in the past.

@2690335

They can be formal, but then, any military ball is going to be that. I'm sure anyone who served is welcome though. I've been to a couple Army ones. Did you know that about 30+ years ago, when I was first commissioned, they thought about teaching ball room dancing as a requirement during OBC to bring back a "traditional" element to the balls?

@2690340

Most of us knew how to slow dance but there weren't many of us back then who knew how to do a formal waltz. LOL I sure didn't. (And still don't)

@2690350

I'm impressed. I don't personally know anyone who knows how to waltz.
Remember at those school dances when a teacher would walk around and make sure peoples hands weren't too low? :)

Thanks, jim.
To you also.
But to you and to all those that served during combat...it is you and those that went before you, that have given us the freedoms we have.
Im sorry that we all dont seem to appreciate that fact.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

I have mixed feelings about this... Does this mean only US troops?

@2690393

Well said.

@ZonkeyBalls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...eterans%27_Day

Zonk, A little history on our Veterans Day. Veterans Day is a U.S. legal holiday dedicated to American veterans of all wars. In 1918, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, was declared between the Allied nations and Germany in World War I, then known as “the Great War.” Commemorated in many countries as Armistice Day the following year, November 11th became a federal holiday in the United States in 1938. In the aftermath of World War II and the Korean War, Armistice Day became legally known as Veterans Day.

@OzSurfer No, one's a disease and the others a cure

I still have that date with your sister, right?

@ZonkeyBalls I still have that date with your sister, right?

Yes I called her and she said she's coming around now.... not sure if that meant she's nearly in Finland or if she fainted... still I did my bit

@JustJimColo Zonk, A little history on our Veterans Day. Veterans Day is a U.S. legal holiday dedicated to American veterans of...

Yes, I know.

Surprise me for X-mas, ol' Jimmy boy, although I will be off for at least a week and not on the site. ;o) Not because I couldn't be, but... Hey... It's family time. Not time for stupid people complaining about my questions, saying: "I was here, when Falklands were still called Malvinas"... etc.

@ZonkeyBalls Yes, I know. Surprise me for X-mas, ol' Jimmy boy, although I will be off for at least a week and not on the site...

Yeah, I'm taking a couple weeks off around Christmas and will be away from any computer or internet access as well.
I remember the "incidents" in that area around 1982 but had forgotten a lot of it? I think we have a lot of shit in our heads and as we get older some of it leaks out. Like my thing about the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. I remembered it when I read it again, but just can't pull shit like that out of memory anymore.

Interesting to know. Wish you'd have posted that on April 27th for all to know.

@JustJimColo Interesting to know. Wish you'd have posted that on April 27th for all to know.

Unlike you, we don't want to put stuff up.

When asked, we boast and brag our shoulders off.

@ZonkeyBalls I have mixed feelings about this... Does this mean only US troops?

You KNOW it doesn't Zonk. White it's a the official day we honor American Veterans in this country. It's also a good time to reflect and honor veterans of other countries who have served. We all understand that the wars we have fought in, we weren't fighting alone.

NWO FREAKS CAN GO FUCK THEMSELVES

I solemnly declare and promise to exercise in all loyalty, discretion and conscience the functions entrusted to me as an international civil servant of the United Nations, to discharge these functions and regulate my conduct with the interests of the United Nations only in view, and not to seek or accept instructions in regard to the performance of my duties from any Government or other source external to the Organization.

“I also solemnly declare and promise to respect the obligations incumbent upon me as set out in the Staff Regulations and Rules."

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Jim, it's appreciated :) Best wishes to you, as well.

We have three versions of the same movie... Based on the same bloody book, which was first condemned to be too "anti-soviet"... The latest one, the trailers of which I have shown here, has just come out. I want to go the movies and see it, not just download it, I only download the movies I know that will never come to such a small town as this one. This one will be here. If not right now, then at least, when we hit 100. Then, this picture is probably the only flick they are going to show us for the day. Everywhere...

I'm offering a link to the 1955 version - we have a 1985 version, but it's not that much different, apart from better effects, obviously, as well. I have no idea, what the 2017 version will be like, but I guarantee, that we Finns know our special effects, even when they are not just special effects.

No subtitles, sorry:

To all who served their country...Thank you.

@2690794

Since it's Veterans Day today, and some people may not know the significance of the coins on military headstones, I'll give a brief description.

While visiting some cemeteries, you may notice that headstones marking certain graves have coins on them, left by previous visitors to the grave. These coins have distinct meanings when left on the headstones of those who gave their life while serving in America’s military, and these meanings vary depending on the denomination of coin.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier’s family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited.

A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with them in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the solider when they were killed. According to tradition, the money left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected and the funds put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

The practice of leaving a coin on a grave goes much further back, with other various reasons as well.

The serious tone in this post is fitting, of course, yet I think a little light humor wouldn't be a bad thing, either. Though I was in combat situations, not all of us had it bad as this one image confirms :)

This comment was deleted.
@2690326

You have that right. Just remember that the military paid for your right to say it.

@LeftyGrossman thru violence. Violence never solved anything. Love is the answer.

Lefty...love is the answer.
But remember...walk softly, but carry a big stick.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply