Louie CK accused of sexual misconduct. Do you think it's a bit odd that so many accusations are surfacing up?

Louie CK, a comedian I really like has been accused of sexual misconduct, unlike others however he has admitted to the claims and as expected his movie project is pulled out.

Image for post Louie CK accused of sexual misconduct. Do you think it's a bit odd that so many accusations are surfacing up?
34% Yes 54% No 11% Other
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar People & Celebrities
12 93
@2691271

Wasn't there something similar once but with rich athletes?

It isnt odd.
When people with public faces have come out and told what happened to them, and others have seen their harrassers held accountable, it has emboldened them.
The #metoo thing has shown just how many are out there.

The louis ck thing? He, like spacey admitted to his actions. But, he never apologiged, and he waited till someone stepped up. We will see.....

@Carla It isnt odd. When people with public faces have come out and told what happened to them, and others have seen their...

What do you think about accusations in general? Do you tend to believe them or disbelieve them when there are only claims?

@Sunny_the_skeptic What do you think about accusations in general? Do you tend to believe them or disbelieve them when there are only...

I believe them.
These women, in spaceys case, men, have nothing to gain. And their stories are very specific.
It is humiliating for a person to admit that he/she was sexually manipulated. And it usually happens to young people.
Having the threat of powerful attornies, public scrutiny, etc., is a great repressor.
That is why it has gone on so long, largely, unchecked.

@Carla I believe them. These women, in spaceys case, men, have nothing to gain. And their stories are very specific. It...

I notice that most men would favor the men and most women would favor the women in any similar case, I think the problem is victimization since women feel sympathy to being sexually assaulted while men feel sympathy to being unjustly punished for a crime they did not commit. I admit that in absence of proof I'd want to take the men's side for the same reason but prefer to stay neutral because I want to see things from both sides and it would be just as unfair to either side to believe one or the other without proof.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I notice that most men would favor the men and most women would favor the women in any similar case, I think the...

After many years, proof only lies in the stories told. Most of these women, told the stories to others in those earlier times. But, im sure many didnt.

I know way to many women that were harrassed, sexually. And im not talking about mutual flirting.
I will bet there are women, here with stories, true stories.

@Carla After many years, proof only lies in the stories told. Most of these women, told the stories to others in those...

So it goes down to experience and I'm sure the same goes for the men's side too, we are indeed shaped by our own life story.

@Sunny_the_skeptic So it goes down to experience and I'm sure the same goes for the men's side too, we are indeed shaped by our own...

Indeed.

Because of the "not any longer" attitude of many strong women, other, younger, womens life stories may become very different.

@Carla Indeed. Because of the "not any longer" attitude of many strong women, other, younger, womens life stories may...

Have you tried looking at it from the other side? In the end these cases bring out the men vs women mentality pretty heavily.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Have you tried looking at it from the other side? In the end these cases bring out the men vs women mentality...

Its difficult to imagine why a woman would lie. Maybe for monetary gain, but that would be done at the time of the alledged incident.
I thought mike tyson was railroaded.
But guys like oreilly, 32 million, speaks volumes.
This moore thing...too many people were told of his penchant for teenagers, when the teenagers were wooed, touched, by him. But...only one we know of was under the age of consent. And she told people, her story is specific. Look at the accusations of deception she is facing. No women in her right mind would choose that, for a lie.

And look at people, in general. When a person aquires power over others, through business, religeon, politics, many tend to weild that power, in many ways. Often sexually. Even clerics. And its mostly men, because it is mostly men that are in those positions. But...women do it too.

Sunny...i can only see it from a womans view. I have been put in uncomfortable positions in my years. From the time i started working, through my few years in the usaf and into the time i worked for someone else.
Fortunately, i had a strong shell, and a quick lip. Being gay helped and hurt. But...many women arent that confident.
So yes, it is difficult to look at it from the mans view. Because so many men have or had tried to do that exact thing to me. And i am only one person.

@Carla Its difficult to imagine why a woman would lie. Maybe for monetary gain, but that would be done at the time of the...

And yes...once when i was very young, 12 or 13. This is the only place ive ever talked about it.
Because it is just not something we used to talk about.

@Sunny_the_skeptic You don't have to open old wounds.

Wounds turn to scars, sunny. Scars and mended bones are stronger than the original.
But, thank you for your concern.

If men like yourself, can open your mind for discussion, that discussion can turn to understanding:].
If enough of that happens, a stop or at least a slow down, can be put to this kind of treatment towards women, and some men.

@Carla Wounds turn to scars, sunny. Scars and mended bones are stronger than the original. But, thank you for your...

I don't really think it works that way, no one who does this is unaware that it is wrong, if a person intends to do bad things knowing that they're bad doesn't seem to be a concern, this is not an "uh-oh I didn't know" situation like accidentally getting in the women's bathroom.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I don't really think it works that way, no one who does this is unaware that it is wrong, if a person intends to do...

Oh, you're right. They know. But it is much easier to do something you know is wrong, if you also know there will be no consequence to your actions.
For each person who is exposed, that may be one other person who may think twice before they sexually harrass another.
People are rightfully loosing their jobs. That is strong motivation to do the right thing.

@2691407

What's your theory which side to choose in event that there is nothing but an accusation, not talking about these recent ones but in general.

@2691422

I was just trying to confirm something i noticed here, that women favor women and men favor men in these situations when there is big uncertainty.

@2691433

It's good that you look at it from both sides.

Not so odd, no. As others have mentioned, people are feeling more empowered to speak out about the "sexual misconduct" they have experienced.
I have always found it troubling though, how easy it is for a person's reputation to be forever sullied by accusations that are false.

@Sunny_the_skeptic A sullied reputation is not the worst consequence of being accused falsely I'm afraid.

I am aware of that, Sunny. In this case and several others concerning very inappropriate sexual conduct, though, the accused have been unable to deny their guilt as charged.

@2691288

Those who have actually assaulted or blackmailed women into this should very well be punished for their crimes. But you know human nature and how do we separate the true claims from the false accusations?

@2691299

Why are you talking about Trump? I was asking about your opinion on how to separate true accusations from false ones.

@StarzAbove If you don't like what I had to say, block me.

...... I don't understand why are you acting this way, I didn't like your Trump answer because I don't really know a lot about him nor am I concerned about his presidency and simply asked you to answer my question. In no way did I provoke your behavior.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I don't understand why are you acting this way, I didn't like your Trump answer because I don't really know...

And I don't understand why you are being so rude. Trump was accused of assaulting women, but you seem to think his name shouldn't be brought into this conversation.

I gave an opinion which you didn't like or agree with, I post a lot of posts, and they go off in all directions, that's what makes a post interesting.

I have manners, which evidently you are lacking in.

@StarzAbove And I don't understand why you are being so rude. Trump was accused of assaulting women, but you seem to think...

I am being rude? I ask you a specific question and you blurt some random stuff about Trump and then snap at me for no fucking reason. I don't know what your deal is but I won't tolerate this bullshit, first of all don't fucking tell me what " I seem to think " Yeah, this is what being rude actually is!

You think that spewing random things about your Trumpophobia is making a post interesting? No, you make it boring and mundane as hell! Trump this Trump that ENOUGH ALREADY! Is this the extent that your creativity goes? Complaining about the same fucking thing over and over again? Do I look like I care about Trump over here thousands of miles away? Do I have to?

YOU definitely have no manners, I didn't provoke you yet you snapped at me so take your bullshit and put it elsewhere, block me if you want see if I care!

@2691299

Yeah, so Hillary would have been a better choice than Trump, because she was the one who ruined the lives of all the women who dared to come forward to talk about what St Bill Clinton did to them?!6 smilie Or don't you remember the special Bimbo Eruption cabal she led to slander all those victims of Bill?

@goblue1968 Yeah, so Hillary would have been a better choice than Trump, because she was the one who ruined the lives of all...

Hillary would have been a much better and knowledgeable president than the moron we have in the White House now.

Hillary never ruined anyone's lives, but Bill Clinton paid a heavy price for his actions....IMPEACHEMENT. Evidently you've forgotten that.

And yet Trump has done much worse, cheated on all his three wives, doesn't respect women, grabs women by their genitals and brags about it and you give him a pass.

The Clintons are old news now, you need to open your eyes, take off those hateful blinders and see Trump for what he really is. A corrupt, bully, who is unfit and unstable to be the president.

Have you read Gladwell's Tipping Point? I suspect we are there on this issue. For 10,000 year men have felt and acted the same way about women. I have (and do). But the women has reached their tipping point and aren't going to take it anymore.

@2691322

I was surprised too, instead of saying that he's gay or outright denying any claims we went up and owned it. He's a smart man.

@2691330

I love how we just blurts it out as he sees it, it's somewhat teachable, depressing and funny how life kicks your ass and have related to a lot of the things he talks about which is strange because i'm a lot younger.

@2691436

Yep, I watched a few more, he masturbated in front of other women who weren't ok with it which is very weird but is definitely less bad than rape.

@2691445

I agree, it is very in fact.

@2691436

He did admit to it but I'm not sure to exactly what the charges were in the first place something about masturbating in front of them, not sure, the videos weren't very clear.

It's a welcome reveal - about 6M years too late - to see sexually-bullied males and females being confident enough to speak-out against the assaults they've been made to endure when the risk to shame has, until these past few decades, kept them behind a cloak of silence - a cloak of shame - even at the demand of the victim's' parents. It's incredibly good to see this recent wave of empowerment... I hope to see it continue!

It's not really surprising. The populus seems to roll like a band wagon. The issues have always been there and most of the time visible. People that think this is a political party thing are wrong. It is strictly a power thing that has been abused for centuries. I don't know if this revolution will last or not because the American public has the attention span of a nat, but hopefully the power people will learn a lesson about boundries that will keep them in check for a while.

@Will_Janitor It's not really surprising. The populus seems to roll like a band wagon. The issues have always been there and...

Yeah, it's good that men in power won't use the "tickle my pickle" tactic when some young actress wants a part.

It's not odd at all. One of the main problems with victims of harassment is that they don't feel safe to speak about it. For what I've noticed, most tend to think no one will side with them, or believe them, especially in cases like this, when the harasser is someone with "power". But when one victim comes forward and others pay attention to what that person is saying, the other victims will start thinking "maybe they'll hear me too", so they speak up.

Being the first to speak is hard as hell. Some of these harassers have had people speak up about them, but until now, it was all ignored or pushed aside. Turning a blind eye is getting harder to do and I'm liking that change.

Edit: About CK? I'm disappointed. I liked his stuff.

@Sofia It's not odd at all. One of the main problems with victims of harassment is that they don't feel safe to speak...

Interesting, whenever I hear a woman accusing a man of sexual harassment or rape the public sides with the woman and the man is considered guilty and harassed until something that proves otherwise comes out, sometimes this happens after years when the man has been in jail.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Interesting, whenever I hear a woman accusing a man of sexual harassment or rape the public sides with the woman...

That is not common for what I've seen.
Public reaction means nothing when things are kept quiet, which tends to be the norm. The "don't let the public know" happens a lot, in all kind of places. In 7th or 8th grade, one of my best friends that was in a sports team was being harassed by her coach. She didn't want to speak about it because he was a teacher in our school and she was afraid to speak against him. I went to our arts professor and told her about it, and she talked with my friend and convinced her to speak with a superior in our school. The bastard wasn't fired. He was transferred to another school in the Continent (we lived in Madeira Island), still allowed to be around students. Not many know about it even today. The Administration in our school made sure of that.

Personally, when it comes to harassment, I tend to believe in the victim until proven a lie. But then I'm not one to go on a vengeance against the creep. I don't like the mob mentality and I think public crucifying should only be done with proof.

But if it ever comes to light that the "harassed" was lying? Public crucifying seems fitting for such people.

@Sofia That is not common for what I've seen. Public reaction means nothing when things are kept quiet, which tends to be...

Yes it is common for the abused to keep quiet for some reason, probably due to the mental trauma, but what I meant was WHEN the news is out to the public and that does happen, I understand why you favor the women it's normal that you sympathize with your own sex as well as the false accusations that were at least proven to be false are not as common as the real ones if they come out at all.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Yes it is common for the abused to keep quiet for some reason, probably due to the mental trauma, but what I meant...

Yes, I know it happens. I didn't mean to say it didn't. I only said that's not as common as the story being buried, which was what I spoke in my first comment (on the second paragraph). Sorry if I didn't explain right.

Not to sound cliche, but this is not about gender to me, at all. I'll sympathise with a man as quickly as with a woman, not because of the gender, but because of the abuse. I've seen what harassment and abuse does to someone, I've also seen how not being believed or taken seriously affects someone. I didn't like the results on either.

@Sofia Yes, I know it happens. I didn't mean to say it didn't. I only said that's not as common as the story being buried...

And I didn't mean that you'd only support women because you're a girl, it's just what I noticed on majority of comments here. I just wish people could stand up to this sort of thing and for there to be better ways to find out the truth (if the victim is not believed or if the accusation is false) There are some very absurd situations like a genuine case in the UK where a man claimed he fell and thus in the fall his junk went inside a girl's junk and it was believed which makes me think what kind of morons decide these things.

@Sunny_the_skeptic And I didn't mean that you'd only support women because you're a girl, it's just what I noticed on majority of...

Ah, the rich guy? I'm pretty sure the public didn't support that bullshit. But I'm gonna take a leap here and say his money had a lot of say in how he escaped that one.

@Sofia Ah, the rich guy? I'm pretty sure the public didn't support that bullshit. But I'm gonna take a leap here and say...

He was a saudi I think, in UAE I wouldnt doubt for a moment that he'd get away with it but in a modern country like the UK? Come on.....

@Sunny_the_skeptic He was a saudi I think, in UAE I wouldnt doubt for a moment that he'd get away with it but in a modern country like...

It's not the first time someone rich got off easy because of their bank account. Sadly, I really doubt it will be the last.

On a side note - the chorus of "Money, Money, Money" by ABBA popped into my head just now.

No, I don't think it is odd. And he has confirmed them.

@dru18 No, I don't think it is odd. And he has confirmed them.

And it turns out that he masturbated in front of women who didn't like that which is not a serious crime but is.....really weird.

@dru18 Power went to his head. It is a power game, not a sexual one.

He did say that he took advantage of their admiration for him. But sleeping with fans would ruin the magic for me, it's pathetic, well he didn't sleep with them actually but yeah.

It is not unusual to see a cascade effect in these situations. One woman brave enough to come forward can give others the courage to come forward. It also may give some who have a grudge a chance to make accusations. I think these cases are far fewer. Many women can go years without naming their sexual assaulter. Fear of not being believed and stigma keep women from coming forward. And often a sexual predator counts on this.

fu CK

@VicZinc fu CK

You don't like Louie I take it?

@Sunny_the_skeptic You don't like Louie I take it?

I think he's hilarious.
I just think it is also hilarious to say f u CK.

@VicZinc I think he's hilarious. I just think it is also hilarious to say f u CK.

I'm going to miss his standup specials. I doubt that anybody will televise them any more. I couple of nights ago I watched one on Netflix that he did at the Beacon Theater.

This kind of thing has been SOP in Hollywood since the beginning. This is a backlash that has been a long time coming. It is just the beginning.

Yes, but then again, I was never a victim of such offenses, so I cannot say how I would react. If I remember correctly it took decades for many of the people molested by Catholic Priests to come forward. I have read that it's likely most abuse is never reported.

@2691368

I am honestly surprised that you did not take the women's side despite you being a lady yourself, for the reasons that I explained in a reply to Carla. Of course all those who have indeed committed a crime must be punished for such disgusting behavior, however things get really difficult and conflicted when it's merely an accusation with no proof and people dont know what to think and instead start to feel.

its about time

The women are finally getting brave enough to punish these pig men. I expect more every year as women win cases and a younger generation of men come to power they will be more aware they are not gods over women any more

I don't think it is odd at all. The fall of Bill Cosby has unleashed the flood gates of sexual accusations. Hollywood put Roman Polanski on a pedestal and he is the poster boy for child molestation. Him and Cosby used drugs for their attacks.
Then you have the very false Duke boys accusations that ruined those boys lives. The peanut gallery has to sit these accusations out until the reality of the situations have been uncovered.
I'm not a fan of LCK but I do give hime credit for stepping up to the plate and admitting his guilt.

Freeranger, yours was the most sensible (and most accurate) post in this thread so far. Sort of reminds me of how they changed the definition of the word "gay" so that the homos would be more comfortable about coming out of their closets.

hornets nest

Why is this OK?

@Hunkie Why is this OK?

Because Ellen's a woman, even if an open lesbian.

Yes, I do find the sudden wave of sexual accusations peculiar. Maybe Hollywood and political elites have experienced a sudden wave of morality. (That's a joke.) As far as missing Louie CK is concerned - Go to a local live comedy show . There are road comics that blow a "A" listers away.

First off, I want to make it very clear that I am against sexually inappropriate behavior, I hate pedophiles and what I think should be done to rapists isn't PG-13.
That said, the way things are going, it's a damned if you do and a damned if you don't scenario for many people. Common sense has left the station. When it comes to sexual relations between people, there are no guidelines that make any sense. On one hand, one person will say that any inappropriate touching is wrong. What the hell is inappropriate touching, or at what moment in time is such "touching" appropriate? I'm not talking about celebrities or the wealthy or the powerful here. I'm talking about the average man and woman.
We might go on an on about how touching a woman's breast without her consent is wrong. (I've never been with a woman who told me it was now time for me to touch her breasts) Let's say I am a 21 year old male on a 1st, 2nd 3rd or 50th date with a 21 year old woman. Let's say I put my hand on her breast while we are making out in a car. She removes it. (I understand that no means no) Now lets say I don't touch her breast. She wonders what the hell is wrong with me, do I think she isn't attractive? Am I secretly gay. What's wrong with this guy?

What I want, is for women to write a frigging pamphlet on themselves and present the thing to a guy before they go out together. 50 years ago, I thought most of us knew the boundaries when we got to them. Today, nobody has a clue because common sense has left the building.

You never know when the consequences to your actions in life....will come back to drop kick you in the groin..

Choose wisely Grasshopper..