+11

Archaeology Magazine, a publication of the Archaeological Institute of America, is reporting that a site has revealed a box which appears to contain the cremation ashes of Siddhārtha Gautama. The stories of the Buddha are at least as credible as the stories of the Christ or Mohammed.

Buddhist Monastery Site Uncovered in China - Archaeology Magazinehttps://www.archaeology.org/news/6098-171114-china-buddha-monks
VicZincs avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
7 20

I can and do believe these people existed. Just like the ceasars and pharoahs. It is the idea that they were gods, or chosen that i have difficulty with.
Just curious, but wasnt buddha a teacher, not a god or chosen by one?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +7Reply
@Carla I can and do believe these people existed. Just like the ceasars and pharoahs. It is the idea that they were gods...

That's my understanding. Siddhārtha Gautama was the son of a king. He ended up leaving this life behind and became an ascetic. He wanted to understand human suffering. As the story goes, he eventually mediated under a tree for days until he finally had the answers he had been looking for. At that moment of enlightenment he became of the Buddha ("he who is awake"). He spent the remainder of his life teaching others what he had learned.

@VicZinc Not sure. He certainly has many people who call themselves Buddhists.

But...i dont think they pray to him or do things in his name.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla Read those prayers. Thank you, tink.

YW, Carla. I think different sects might have different ideas about praying directly to Buddha.

Not sure, but the last time I checked,
There's agreement in this one respect:
Too much straying from Dharma
Will lead to bad karma,
No matter which ashram or sect.

I'm here.

Now, worship me, before I crash and burn.

Sure I can't believe any of it, stories upon stories all written by men.

I don't know. Were the people of Nepal in the 4th century any more literate than the people in the Middle East when Jesus and Muhammad lived?

I think much of the stories from all three were originally oral stories only later written down. I am skeptical of all these stories.

Since you don't believe in any deity, what's your point?

@JustJimColo Since you don't believe in any deity, what's your point?

It is an opinion. [This is an opinion site]

The way it works is someone (in this case me) posts their opinion and others (n this case you) vote "agree" or "disagree".

My opinion is: "The stories of the Buddha are at least as credible as the stories of the Christ or Mohammed."

Now you get to agree or disagree.

That's how this site works.

It is an honorable philosophy without wars and martyrs. Hard to argue with the middle path. JMHO