-7

Vaping, is it a good replacement for smoking?

I quit smoking and have found vaping to really help, anyone else here into it?

Image for post Vaping, is it a good replacement for smoking?
AliceDs avatar Language
7 59

Are you vaping with nicotine?
I am trying (again) to quit. I have quit, but restarted. It is the hardest thing for me, and ive quit many things.
I have tried the vape thing, but it tasted so bad that i went back to tobacco. But...i was vaping with a percentage of nicotine. The oil that is without the nicotine isnt too bad.
Im pulling for you aliced. As a matter of fact, i think i will stop at the vape store tomorrow when i go to town. Try it again. Maybe this time i will go with non nicotine oil.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply
@Carla Are you vaping with nicotine? I am trying (again) to quit. I have quit, but restarted. It is the hardest thing for...

I have had a vape for pretty close to a year or so, like you when I first tried it it was pretty shit to be honest. I soldiered through and just kept at it for a week or so and found the vape i bought kept breaking down and didn't work and just generally sucked (mind the pun :))

About just over a month, six weeks ago, I turned back to it with a vengeance, at first it was crap, so I started to do a little research and fond that other people as uninformed as I too had this issue when they started.

I really advocate that you go into your vape shop and tell them of your previous experience, if they seem not to care and only want to sell you shit, go find a passionate vaper that truly wants to help, I can tell you it will make all the difference!

Yes, I have Nic, started @ 18 and am now down to 6. The six is way better but it was a weening process because I was just coming off the cancer sticks.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, although we are just random names on the interwebs it does help!

Feel free to ask me any questions about it and I will answer them as best I am able to :)

@AliceD I have had a vape for pretty close to a year or so, like you when I first tried it it was pretty shit to be honest...

I will do that.
I applaud any and every one that has success with the quit.

Favorite flavor?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@AliceD Called Smurf Blood :)

Ha!
Smurf blood.
I will seek out something similar.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

It's worse in a way. You get people blowing huge clouds of quite often noxious smelling smoke into my face, and the number of customers who I've argued with at work because they've been puffing the things when they shouldn't is beyond me

Fortunately, I've never smoked. Hope it does help you, though

@StarzAbove Fortunately, I've never smoked. Hope it does help you, though

Thanks, yes it has. Being a chain smoker for many years trying to quit this certainly seemed to be the magic bullet for me :)

@StarzAbove It would be very hard to break that habit. Good luck.

I have used most drugs in my time, some being slated as the very worst to get addicted to, although none of these have me in their grasp, my honest truth is that the ciggerettes just about had me for good. Thanks for the moral support :)

@AliceD I have used most drugs in my time, some being slated as the very worst to get addicted to, although none of these...

Most cigarette smokers started when young, and I know it would be very hard to break a long time habit. I've never smoked because I can't stand the smell it leaves on clothing or someone's breath. lol

You're welcome, hope you can overcome the habit.

@StarzAbove Most cigarette smokers started when young, and I know it would be very hard to break a long time habit. I've...

[Quote] " I can't stand the smell it leaves on clothing or someone's breath."

That's exactly why I quit - that bothered me more than the cost or risk to health.

It seems like one of the most promising alternatives to me. So far, the only thing I've tried is an inexpensive "e-cigarette" I purchased on a road trip. I have a friend who has discussed the vaping and various options with me. It's interesting hearing your and Carla's experience with this...

@2695726

Yeah, I was always of the opinion that I would be the same, until I actually tried it. My view has done a 180 on that :)

Gotta be in to win :)

It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this irreversible disease called "popcorn lung".

Young people who vape are typically more obnoxious than young smokers. Somehow they're under the impression that everyone in their proximity wants to smell their stupid candy flavoring. Thankfully though, older vapers aren't so obnoxious.

@StickCaveman It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this...

Yes, I have read this, could you please link to the studies? All I have been able to find are dubious internet rumours :)

The other thing I find quite often is people making claims about how bad it is and all of these studies that prove it and how they are ever so legit.

I have also noticed that not one of them anywhere on the net has come back to me with these studies they talk about.

@AliceD The other thing I find quite often is people making claims about how bad it is and all of these studies that prove...

I'm not saying it's worse but it is relatively new. We'll see what the studies say when we have people who have been vaping for 40+ years. If there are never any negative effects to be found then great. But it'd be naive to make assumptions.

To reiterate my point:

"The information learned from these studies is limited at best. So, what makes a vape pen dangerous? It is the unknowns:
1. The fact that there have not been sufficient scientific studies done on them.
2. Vape pens are relatively new to the market and kids are crazy to get their hands on regardless of the health risks.
3. We don’t know what the long term health risks are. This unknown makes every teenager with a vape pen a lab rat!"

So in other words, just like with cigarettes, teenagers are incredibly susceptible to doing "cool" things like blowing smoke. The difference, is that just because a product has very few studies done on it, doesn't mean it's completely safe.

http://www.teentherapycenter.co...e-pens-dangers

@StickCaveman To reiterate my point: "The information learned from these studies is limited at best. So, what makes a vape pen...

"It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this irreversible disease called "popcorn lung". " is a little different to "teenagers are incredibly susceptible to doing "cool" things like blowing smoke"

You see I am still waiting for the information that backs up your statement that it causes popcorn lung......

@AliceD "It's still too new to know about any negative long term effects. Some studies have shown vaping can cause this...

My original statement about popcorn lung was more so a generalization that something may be in e-cigs that is harmful. Not necessarily about how risk of getting popcorn lung specifically is irrefutable fact.

You see, like most people, I'm not looking through page after page of peer reviewed studies or medical journals. I'm not studying what chemicals do what to the body. I'm relying on journalism (which I am also skeptical of, mind you) to summarize and report. And several links have crossed my newsfeed and suggested that popcorn lung is a risk. I've also seen the ones that have debunked this claim. In case you're waiting for me to say, "I don't know of any studies," then, "I don't know of any studies."

Nevertheless, I maintain my original point. It's still a new product that we don't have many studies about and we definitely don't know very much about the long term effects. I think it's great if people are using them to stop smoking cigarettes. But I think at some point, people should ween themselves off of vaping as well.

It's more expensive than smoking regular cigarettes, and it's banned everywhere just like regular cigarettes, so I don't think it's worth it.

@Thedudeyouhatetomeet It's more expensive than smoking regular cigarettes, and it's banned everywhere just like regular cigarettes, so I...

I don't know that I agree with that, there is an initial outlay which is modest, and if one does not get to far down the rabbit hole then the ongoing cost of purchase is less. There is also the health benefit, which at this stage is largely undertested, but for me I can see it seems greater.

Perhaps ciggerettes are cheaper where you come from, we pay about $30 for a pack of 20's over here.

@2695628

Yes, much of that cost is government tax. Also of particular note the government is saying New Zealand will be smoke free by 2025. Lofty goals indeed. Not to mention many political and fundamental ramifications of such a proclamation.

It works; it's far less expensive. It's been about 5 years since I've switched and now smoke 2-3 tobacco cigarettes a day instead of a pack.

I've tried the cheap refillable vape sticks which I found either started steadily leaking smurf blood everywhere from the tank, or start glugging oil that hadn't been vaporised through into the mouth tip...

So I was wondering what kinda vape system you've found works the best in your experience Alice?

Image in content 乂º◡º乂

@Ada I've tried the cheap refillable vape sticks which I found either started steadily leaking smurf blood everywhere...

Hey Ada, yeah, my first experience was very similar and really put me off.

Honestly, I am so fucking tired my eyes are just about closed, but I will answer you propper like in the next few days :)

@2696941

I am not surprised in the least that you can prove to be the exception to the rule :)

Disagree, vaping in of itself appears to be a new trend. Vaping also has possibility of causing upper respiratory cancer such as oesophagus cancer. So it still causing cancer, except it's higher up the respiratory system.

@AliceD If you are around water there is the possibility of getting eaten by a shark.

But there's a difference between swiming in certain waters where shark attacks happen and are warned about, and deliberately going into those waters and inhaling a shark into your lungs. Cancer kills more people than sharks do, passive smoking kills more people than sharks do. Your reply has no common sense. It was an NHS nurse who told me about the oesophagus and upper respiratory cancer.
My hubby calls the vapes dummies/pacifiers.

@Creamcrackered But there's a difference between swiming in certain waters where shark attacks happen and are warned about, and...

Vaping is not smoking. Saying that there is a possibility that something happens does not mean it does. So when you say there is a possibility oesophagus and upper respiratory cancer that really doesn't mean much apart from pulling out the C word for a bit of shock value. In my opinion an NHS nurse telling you this doesn't really add any weight to your argument. Hey, cool, you know, believe what you wish. I don't agree with you although :)

@AliceD Vaping is not smoking. Saying that there is a possibility that something happens does not mean it does. So when you...

E-cigarettes contain the same chemicals as cigarettes but at a lower dose, hence common sense would predict that e-cigarettes can still cause cancer because they contain the same chemicals. It is also noted that e-cigarette users actually take more lugs on vaping devices and so they may have a lesser amount of chemicals, but users are taking more inhalations. Hence this is not shock value it's common sense, noted by those looking into the affects of vaping, since these products are relatively new, no one can state for sure the long term affect but with them containing the same chemicals, they can predict. E-cigarettes are not 100% safe.
Secondly, some of the flavours contain the chemical diacetyl, which can cause "pop corn lung" bronchiolitis.
Diacetyl was detected in 39 of the 51 flavours tested, ranging from barely measurable levels to concentrations of 239 micrograms per e-cigarette.
Finally, in tests mice that were exposed to human levels of vaping daily over a "two week" period sustained mild lung damage and reduced immunity to infection. This is because e-cigarettes contain free radicals. The mice experienced increased levels of macrophages in their lungs. Macrophages are a type of white blood cell that remove damaged and dead cells, and are evidence of cell damage. These mice also had a worse response when infected with either a bacteria that causes pneumonia or the flu virus. As a result those suffering lung conditions and ocpd are advised against using vaping. The best way to give up smoking is to give up smoking. Here's the nhs warning links, and studies, suck it up, just don't blow it in the passive smokers direction.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-a...-to-infection/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-a...-popcorn-lung/

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/15-10185/

@AliceD Excellent response! I shall have a look over the material you provided.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1...acco-marketing

Here is a further link which also reveals the damage e-cigarettes can cause and the people (tobacco industry) who stand to gain financially as this is big business, hence why you get two sets of data as the tobacco industry are trying to squash the studies into e-cigarettes that are discovering they are harmful.

@Creamcrackered https://www.theverge.com/2017/1...acco-marketing Here is...

Interesting stuff. I will try to get a reply to you in the next few days :)

Of the people I know who vape, I haven't heard any complaints.

Vaping is for hipsters! SUCK A REAL PHAG!

Just give it up there are many harmful chemicals in that stuff.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Just give it up there are many harmful chemicals in that stuff.

Hey, Ok. Do have anything but unsubstantiated words to back that up? You see I hear that thing much of the time and no one has provided me with anything concrete.

It would be fair to say that you might be right, I don't actually know. I would be willing to bet it is doing less damage to me than smoking has though.

Perhaps you might be the lucky punter that actually has some answers hmmmm?

As the research evidence increases, it shows that vaping is harmful to your lungs. Maybe not as bad as smoking, but what idiot wants to harm their lungs if they can avoid it?

No friggin idea, some say it's a lot less bad than smoking others say it's even worse although I don't believe it, never really cared enough to do my research.

Earlier, we had no conclusive proof that vaping was any better than Conventional Cigarettes.

2016: https://blogs.nejm.org/now/inde...es/2016/10/06/

January 2018, Quote :

-“There is conclusive evidence that completely substituting e-cigarettes for conventional cigarettes reduces users' exposure to many toxicants and carcinogens present in conventional cigarettes.
-There is substantial evidence that completely switching from regular use of conventional cigarettes to e-cigarettes results in reduced short-term adverse health outcomes in several organ systems.”

http://www8.nationalacademies.o...RecordID=24952

March 2018

E-cigarette flavorings may be toxic.

https://consumer.healthday.com/...ource=facebook