Santa.At what age did you stop believing and how did you find out?

Image for post Santa.At what age did you stop believing and how did you find out?
ThePrinceofWaless avatar Language
11 41

When i was 7, i questioned my parents about santa. Just thought it implausible. That year, on christmas eve, as on all christmas eves before, my father let the fire go out in the fireplace. He took a pair of my uncles boots (big feet) imprinted them in the ashes and tramped a bit across the floor.
I was a believer again:).
But...the following year, we had a split class, half 3rd grade, half 4th grade. One of the 4th grade boys teased me for still believing, so of course i stopped.
So, at eight years of age, i stopped believing in santa.
When i think of it now, i wish it could have gone on until i was nine. It would have been great to allow my dad to keep up the illusion, as that was something he enjoyed and it was his last christmas.

Seven, I was about to start elementary school and my mom just dropped the bomb. "You really think, that the Santa Claus is real? How stupid is that?" Well, yes, quite stupid, I assume.

You mean there isn't a Santa?

My sister found our presents in the wardrobe, some said "From Father Christmas," on them.
I quite liked the idea of putting a mince pie, a glass of milk and a carrot out for them. I didn't like the idea of a strange man being in the house. I remember saying "He won't come upstairs will he?"

I always kinda knew. In slavic countries Christmas looks like you didn't even put much effort to keep the lie. I remember my dad took me to a toy shop and asked which one I liked, then the next day some guy in a weird looking santa costume (that you all as adults here would get nightmares from) gave those very same toys we chose with our parents. It was kinda like, no one cared about santa it was just a jolly time you get toys.

To give you a better idea, pretty much every santa in a ex USSR country looked this way, which is why it's not uncommon for some toddlers to cry in these photos. Just show this to any slavic person and they will instantly relate.

@2695930

You'd be used to it if you were slavic biggrin smilie

@2695935

It's good intentions with horrible and poor craftsmanship. That's the USSR in a nutshell :D

@2695941

It was fucking weird, we were aware of it, but we got presents and we were thankful of the efforts, in a way things still had their charm.

@2695941

HAHA! The evil bunny would of scarred me for LIFE!!!
乂^◡^乂

@2695999

Jeez Ser I'm off to bed in like half hour I'm gonna have such sweet dreams haha! 乂^◡^乂

Six or seven. My cousin and I found the Santa suit in my grandparent's basement.

I can't remember ever believing in Santa. 乂º︵º乂

@Ada I can't remember ever believing in Santa. 乂º︵º乂

Awww
You and tiffanee both...
That just sucks.

@Carla Awww You and tiffanee both... That just sucks.

What I said to Ser, I hat repeating myself ha.

I hope you are well love? 乂º◡º乂

@2696048

Spent too much of my life drunk, I probably did believe in Santa once, I just can't remember. 乂º︵º乂

Never stopped believing smile smilie

WHAT????

I have no clue. I don't even remember believing in Santa. My oldest memory of Christmas was of me and my sister sneaking to the tree, so we could open our presents, play with it, then put everythinh back together as it was. For what I remember I was already aware where the presents were coming from.

Years ago I hired myself out as Santa for private parties. It was a great gig. Good money at a time of year when money was needed.

One evening my daughter, maybe six at the time walked in as I was getting dressed for my Santa gig. My heart was in my throat - I did not want to be the one that blew it for my little angel. She looked at me, wide eyed and confused, and she said,

"You're Santa? Oh Daddy, I promise I won't tell anyone! I love you!"

Problem solved!

I was 7 when I stopped. I wrote a letter and it didn't get picked up. I knew then Santa wasn't real and it was my parents the whole time.

🦋

never really believed. parents where truthful from early on. never took the joy from christmas