Travelling long distances by train: Yay or Nay?

I'm in a train to Leeds and there's nothing much to do... I could read, but I make strange faces while reading, so I avoid reading in public. I don't wanna fall asleep either.

38% Yay 29% Nay 8% I don't make long trips by train 8% I've never stepped inside a train 17% Other
Sofias avatar Travel
10 34
@2697216

Ah, yeah, that's why it's a good idea to take some food from home.

Don't you have the quiet carriages, or whatever? I think you would like that.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +3Reply
@2697386

Good choice :D

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +2Reply

I don't get those thankfully, my hometown is around 150km from the city I study in. I went on a few trips to the other end of the country, imagine holding number 1 for 7 hours

@2697197

I didn't try the food. I took sandwiches from home. But the space wasn't that different from TAP. It's when I use EasyJet or Ryanair that I feel like a sardine.

It's way more affordable, though. No doubt on that.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +4Reply
@2697203

Ah, that's true, the price isn't that outrageous. When I was buying the ticket, I noticed it.

With planes, it's either expensive or are you trying to starve me for the next two months?

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +3Reply

I always liked taking trips on trains when I lived in Germany. You could go anywhere. Not so much here in the States. Here, I have to drive.

@Piper2 I did too, Jim. Where were you, when you lived over there?

The first time, 72 -75, I lived in Bamberg. The next time, 90-92 was in Frankfurt. When, and where were you?

@JustJimColo The first time, 72 -75, I lived in Bamberg. The next time, 90-92 was in Frankfurt. When, and where were you?

I was just a kid when I lived there. The first time was 59-61, when my dad was stationed at Ramstein. The second time we lived in Mainz and then Wiesbaden, from 66-70. Plenty of train trips to Frankfurt, though. :)

I've done so several times, and I liked it just fine. I've always had kind of thing for trains, actually.

I would love to try a long train trip on one of those deluxe sleeper carriages with dining and lounge car etc, but as far as regular inter city trains go where you sleep in your seat, they aren't fun at all for the reasons Linnster said.

@2697389

Exactly! That’s been my experience too.

Only way to travel.

The price they would've charged for the trip I was making cost more than the airline I looked into in addition to the train's longer schedule.

Depends on the distance.

I've never been to a train. But I guess it sounds like it would be a fun experience.

primeiros avatar primeiro I've never stepped inside a train +3Reply

They stop ever 5 miles.

No - if you're in a hurry. Yes - if you have time for the scenery

not likely

BTAs avatar BTA I've never stepped inside a train 0Reply

I've never rode on a train.

Unless you count the train at the zoo, when I was about 5.