-9

I will not give one penny to help animals. Until every child is fed, until everyone has unfettered access to news and education, until no mother needs to worry about her sons and daughters fighting in wars or for their own survival on the streets of our cities, my charity will always go to help humans not animals.

VicZincs avatar Religion
3 80

That's a whole lotta "untils" there, for sure. Ah well...I'm just grateful that many people don't have an all or nothing attitude like that. Not just about charity for animals, but other things, as well.

I'm also grateful, that many people have enough caring and compassion for other beings, to extend it to both human and non-animals.

@2698092

That's the beauty of Amirite. We can have very different opinions and I can still respect that yours is a valid and heartfelt opinion.

Disagreements are OK!

@2698137

Exactly. My reply is one of the last ones.

I honestly don't know how anyone can think that MAN will continue to survive, if we keep killing off other species.

I find animals more palatable than most humans.

@2698321

"If you meant financially helping in the aid of animals over financially helping the people who are abusing/taking advantage our country's welfare system THAT I can relate to."

Leave it to you to make this about politics.

@2699833

LMAO!!

Now we have gone from saving animals to Flynn? Only you.

You remind me of Mike56. Are you sure you aren't him?

@2700944

Mike56, not Mich54!!! Mike was a hard core conservative so he would have definitely agreed with you. Mich was a liberal.

Photos don't say anything when it comes to the internet.

I didn't say he would be impeached or resign. That dirty old man is going to have to be hauled out of there, kicking and screaming.

@2701234

I can't find Mike. When SH rudely crashed on us, there were a lot of people who were lost. Mike was one of them.

He was from Russia, lived in the states, and was good friends with 'dublin'. And they both were good friends of mine.

I beg your pardon. It is not just any animal, it is of a white tiger, who looks quite dapper in his tie and eyeglasses. :)

It was "white panther's" avatar (another conservative), and I augmented it a little.

My animals have done more for me than most humans.
So...my choice is to help the four legged beings.

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +7Reply

Do you feel better now Vic?
I mean now that everyone assumes that you give to charity and all.
Oh wait, that's not really what you said. It was more like when all these impossible circumstances happen - then you might give a penny to help animals.

Thanks for helping me sort that out.

For everyone else you can help animals here
https://secure.humanesociety.or...BoCgyAQAvD_BwE

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree +6Reply

What's the matter Vic? Someone pee in your Cheerios this morning?

@2698139

Are you planning on becoming a vegetarian? Unfortunately animals are raised for our food supply, others provide a host of things for us, such as comfort and unconditional love. We must provide for our four legged friends. I my opinion, is to enjoy all the joys these furry friends provide.

I can understand that sentiment. My wife is a veterinarian though. Our charity to animals goes through her vet practice. It's local, free food that has passed the expiration date, an occasional injured animal fixed up for free and such. People come first.

Wow, that is some messed up reasoning, and I am surprised it is coming from you, Vic.

Every species needs the other to be able to survive. You keep throwing one specie after another off the cliff and we will see just how long humans thrive.

@dru18 Wow, that is some messed up reasoning, and I am surprised it is coming from you, Vic. Every species needs the...

That would be some experiment. I just don't think we will be running out of dogs and cats anytime soon.

@VicZinc That would be some experiment. I just don't think we will be running out of dogs and cats anytime soon.

First of all you didn't specify.

And secondly your reply lacks in moral judgement, which is rare for you.

We should ignore the sufferings of two animals that we domesticated thousands of years ago?

We have tamed those animals to the point that they rarely can survive without us,(without them asking us to) so we OWE them.

@dru18 First of all you didn't specify. And secondly your reply lacks in moral judgement, which is rare for you. We...

We should prioritize the suffering of humans above other species, yes.

When humans are not suffering we can then relieve the suffering of nonhumans.

That is how I feel. I don't see that as immoral. I see people who help animals while turning a blind eye to human suffering as immoral.

@VicZinc We should prioritize the suffering of humans above other species, yes. When humans are not suffering we can then...

Actually, there have been studies done on that last part. And they have found out that people who feel for animals, are more likely to help other people.

It's called having compassion for any living creature.

@dru18 Actually, there have been studies done on that last part. And they have found out that people who feel for animals...

Well then those people are not turning a blind eye. I am aware of some people (some on this thread even) who do care more about animals than they do about people.

@VicZinc Well then those people are not turning a blind eye. I am aware of some people (some on this thread even) who do...

Probably because companion animals give unconditional love. Humans don't.

And wild animals ask very little of us, except to be left alone.

Wether you help animals or not..
All those things you've mentioned, will never happen for Everyone.

That's just the plain reality of it..

Helping some, is better than helping none.. no matter what choice you make..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Disagree +3Reply
@DandyDon Wether you help animals or not.. All those things you've mentioned, will never happen for Everyone. That's just...

I think another thing to consider is that there are so many things we could help with, fucktonnes of causes. For me, I have chosen a few that I can support passionately, rather than spreading myself thin. Others can take those fights up.

It means that there is a fair contradictory nature to me, but I am ok with that :)

@AliceD I think another thing to consider is that there are so many things we could help with, fucktonnes of causes. For...

Not many people can give to everything..

But if everyone can give a little, it all adds up smile smilie

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Disagree +1Reply

Animals and children have no way to help themselves.While Most humans are too lazy to help themselves.

@2698316

Certainly.

About as insane a someone who leaves a $million to a cat while children are starving.

@2698343

I couldn't agree more. I don't tell people where to send there money. I simply choose where to send my own.

Animals have no (or VERY little) control over their environment - unlike humans. Most of the people who are starving or without medical care or education - it is due to another person's greed. Usually their government. So giving more money to their cause won't really help them, because their corrupt government gets the money rather than the people it would help.

I agree with this. It's a value I learned a long time ago. I love many animals, but not one of them is more valuable than a human life. If there is a fire in the house, get the people out.. but don't ever go back in to get your pet.

@2698172

I assure you that that was my intent.

After re-reading what I wrote that last sentence does seem like a command, but that is what my parents taught me, and that is what I taught my daughters.

Sorry for the confusion.

@2698180

I respect that. To each his own.

I find what you wrote interesting because my parents instilled the exact opposite in me. That's not to say that they were pro-cruelty to animals. It's that, if a push ever comes a shove, we were told to always favor a human life over an animals.

And my parents were huge dog people. After the aforementioned German Sheppard they switched to Black Labs. We often had two and three Labs at a time, had a couple litters of pups, and so on.

Side story: My wife is dead-set against dogs. I knew this before we were married and begrudgingly accept it. However, when my daughters were very young I taught them a little trick. When I asked them, "when can we have a dog" they responded enthusiastically "when mom dies.. yay"!
biggrin smilie

@PhilboydStudge I agree with this. It's a value I learned a long time ago. I love many animals, but not one of them is more...

I'm going in to get the dog right after I get the respirator from the shed. Fire extinguishers inside the entry doors will help. The cats are out of luck.

No, we should if at all possible, save any living creature that we can.

Who is to say that MAN is more important than any other living creature. Who wrote that rule?

@dru18 No, we should if at all possible, save any living creature that we can. Who is to say that MAN is more important...

Who is to say? You and I. If a loved one's life could be saved by taking the life of an animal, would you not do it? And would you say that a mosquito's life just as valuable as that of a human?

@PhilboydStudge Who is to say? You and I. If a loved one's life could be saved by taking the life of an animal, would you not do...

I don't think we are talking mosquitoes here. But a environmentalist might actually say yes, because we are all part of a chain, and if one link is broken, the whole chain suffers.

It's your choice of course and I think it's unfair for anyone to be upset with you for what you choose to be charitable with, however you do realize you just caused a negative reaction from the people towards yourself for basically no reason.

@Sunny_the_skeptic It's your choice of course and I think it's unfair for anyone to be upset with you for what you choose to be...

yep. Well not toward me, toward my opinion.

And, there was a reason.

This place has been dead as heck for the last week. I wanted to bring out the big guns.

@2698396

Well there goes Serenity's only thing in life.

@VicZinc yep. Well not toward me, toward my opinion. And, there was a reason. This place has been dead as heck for the...

No wonder, this site needs some advertising most of the world doesn't even know about this, while people are using other sites the same way that werent made for opinions

Both are very worthy causes. It's up to you as to what you want to donate your money to. Any help to any charity is a good thing.

Gypsys avatar Gypsy Agree +1Reply

Despicable.

BTAs avatar BTA Disagree 0Reply

I am disgusted

Trishs avatar Trish Disagree 0Reply
@Trish I am disgusted

About kicking animals to the curb?

Yeah, I am a little dismayed as well.

Anonymous