Net Neutrality: For or Against?

Are you for or against net neutrality? On what do you base your decision??

Image for post Net Neutrality: For or Against?
78% For 11% Against 11% Other
urwutuiss avatar People & Celebrities
6 16

It should be treated like a utility. That is what net nuetrality does. Im for it.

I'm in favor of net neutrality as a concept, but when it comes to legislation, the devil's in the details. When the government wants to regulate something, they usually use the "just the tip" argument, in this case it was "we just want to keep the internet free." Really, you needed to introduce legislation that gives you control so you could maintain the freedom that already existed without your involvement? Yeah, that sounds plausible... not.

How Net Neutrality Is Already Ruining the Internet
May 24, 2015

"Obama and other supporters of Net Neutrality promised that it would bring a “free and open” Internet."

"In effect, government has chosen winners and losers. The losers, so far, are the smaller companies..."

"The winners of Net Neutrality? Certain larger companies who benefit from the regulation."

https://drhurd.com/2015/05/24/53806/

@2699189

Probably the same reason the banks were publicly against the Federal Reserve Act, they know the lay of the land and they use it to manipulate people.

If you're a big bank or phone company, you know people basically don't like you and don't trust your motives, so whatever you're "pushing so hard for" is likely to draw increased opposition from the public, as it has from you. "If they say they don't like it, it must be bad for them."

Manipulation isn't about getting what you say you want, it's about getting what you actually want, and saying what you need to say in order to get it.

@Maze I'm in favor of net neutrality as a concept, but when it comes to legislation, the devil's in the details. When the...

The only thing net neutrality does is keep ISP's from throttling sites they don't like. Telephone, electricity and water are all title two because it's essentially a monopoly and so is the Internet.

The reason it was put into title 2 is because of corporate misdeeds.
Govt has not chosen winners or losers. That's right wing propaganda.
Corporations will benefit from the END of neutrality. It will make it easier for them to stifle competition as smaller comp[anies won't be able to afford the expense of faster loading.

Ajit Pai was an attorney for Verizon and they're largely the reason for T2 rating

That link is from 2015. It was BS then and it's BS now.

@urwutuis The only thing net neutrality does is keep ISP's from throttling sites they don't like. Telephone, electricity and...

We're talking about the repeal of FCC rules that were brought in 2 years ago. Was the internet more free or less free prior to that? Because that's what they want to put it back to in terms of the rules.

@Maze We're talking about the repeal of FCC rules that were brought in 2 years ago. Was the internet more free or less...

Ending T2 rating would allow ISP's to slow loading times of whichever sites they choose.
You don't see a problem there?
If you want corporate control of your information then killing T2 would be the ticket.

Verizon and AT&T built their wireless networks under T2 and did just fine.

In answer to your question I don't think the Internet is any less free than it was 2 years ago. There's more bullshit but I don't see sites being stifled except for on youtube and they aren't throttling them just
de-monetizing to make it harder for them to operate because they don't like the sites content and BECAUSE THEY CAN. What do you think would happen if they controlled your information?

It would all be mainstream. That may not be a direct issue for you but the majority will buy whatever they're fed. We're so heavily indoctrinated now that it's hard to resist being manipulated by the daily barrage of bullshit even when you're aware of it. Keep in mind we live in the largest, most prolific propaganda machine on the planet and they've gotten very good at it over the years.

When you give up the club as a means of societal control you have to control how and what people think.

@2699265

That's just not true. I guess you don't remember AT&T monopoly trials.

@2700064

I didn't have to look it up. Remember a guy called Telsa? If you're referring to cell phones it was the break up of AT&T in the 80s that opened the door. The technologies and hardware incorporated in cell phones were developed in the 60's and 70's by the military using public funds.
When AT&T was broken up it gave way to wireless phones. The turning point in the trial was AT&T would not permit any type of electronics or even a speaker in front of a handset on their equipment.

@2700619

It wasn't govt stagnation it was the AT&T monopoly. Besides, we know corporations own the govt. and if needed is more than happy to step up and screw the public. It's the system.
Capitalism dictates the suppression of technology just like it dictates perpetual war. Increase the bottom line regardless of external consequences.
Standard oil and Ford could have ended WW2 anytime they wanted. Standard was the only company capable of processing the fuel they used and Ford kept them in truck parts. DuPont was another one. They supplied Hitler right up to the end. Prescott Bush handled their funding.

That's why 80% of the tax cuts will go to the 1% and 90% of the population has no influence on govt policy.
Welcome to the Fourth Reich.

I'm no expert on this subject, but it's my understanding that without net neutrality, the internet would essentially be like cable or satellite TV packages. Who the hell wants to deal with that?? It'd be like buying a package of a thousand webpages you'll never visit just to get the 5 you do frequent. You may be familiar with the term 'cutting the cable'. It's people who are tired of shitty TV packages and just using an antenna for basic programing and online video services for the rest. It's all you need. Getting rid of net neutrality takes that away.

@StickCaveman I'm no expert on this subject, but it's my understanding that without net neutrality, the internet would...

I'm no expert either but I think it has more to do with website loading speed so they'll have their own products or whatever they're pushing load fast while your site will take forever unless you pay the ransom.

I don't know if you remember a few years back when Netflix was at war with Verizon or Comcast or ??? and it became all but impossible to watch Netflix.

Killing NN will, I think, do a lot more than cost more money.
We're already the most indoctrinated people in the OECD. We get bombarded with propaganda from dawn to dusk and cradle to grave by the most prolific propaganda machine on the planet. It's hard to resist even when you're aware of it. It would be something of a brave new world, if you catch my drift.