-2

The End Of Net Neutrality Is Here! - Why This Is A GOOD Thing

[Jeffrey Tucker] It sounds good, "net neutrality," and people like it because they think it means that they're not going to be charged for using high bandwidth services like Netflix and so on, or torrenting files or something like that. And people think that they're fighting for lower prices. What they don't understand is that net neutrality is really a massive government regulation that benefits the large corporate players, essentially the ruling class of the internet, which means large service providers like Netflix and Yahoo and so on, all of whom want to force their way on ISPs and prevent ISPs from charging them for their consumer usage. It would be like if the government said "you're going to get $1 gas," consumers would go "oh that sounds great," right? So of course people like it, but they don't understand is that the large ISPs like Comcast, Verizon and AT&T also favor net neutrality. What's interesting about this is people think they're lying, that they're just SAYING they favor net neutrality, no they really DO favor net neutrality because they figure they can absorb the higher costs and thereby keep competition at bay. That's really what the goal of the large ISPs is - to stop startups, innovative small companies that can come into your community and offer new alternatives to old technology like cable modems and so on. They want to lock down the sector to progress, essentially, so you've got the ISPs working with the large content providers to create a kind of "Federal Reserve" for the internet, that's really what net neutrality is. So don't let them lie to you, I mean, net neutrality is a really nice sounding term that really means a corporate ruling class is going to have permanent control over the internet. So, I mean look, I'm not a fan of the Trump administration, I hope I don't have to tell you that, I've written against the ideology I consider to be Trumpism, I wrote, you know a hundred articles against this guy, but you know, I also want to be objective. This is a heroic and strong and powerful, principled move on the part of the Trump administration to come to the defense of freedom against government control. That's essentially what the repeal of net neutrality has done, and it's great because it's overcome all the special interests, it's economically informed... and you see on the internet, like I had the only article for about 48 hours that seemed to be in support of what the Trump administration did, but it's a great move.

The END Of Net Neutrality Is HERE! - Why This Is A GOOD Thing (with Jeffrey Tucker)Josh Sigurdson talks with libertarian superstar Jeffrey A. Tucker of Liberty.me and The Foundation For Economic Education to talk about his recent article 'G...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMIq98ydZk
Mazes avatar Politics
4 12
@2699520

I don't know about that Logan. My Internet speed is far better than when first installed. Infrastructure across the vast country has been established, and remember, the Internet isn't that old. Al Gore invented it somewhere in the 90's.

Free market influences are far more likely to produce a bigger array of offerings at better prices than a boatload of federal regulations.

@Budwick I don't know about that Logan. My Internet speed is far better than when first installed. Infrastructure across...

How many different high speed ISPs do you have access to?
There's a reason things like water, electricity and phone are title 2. They are necessities and essentially monopolies. The Internet is no longer a luxury. Many businesses depend on it and it's not a boatload of regulations. It's basically one which says they can't discriminate or censor websites. I thought you guys were against censorship or is all that talk about free speech just hot air?

If you want it to continue to be free and open it needs to remain under title 2 "Protection".
Are you willing to trust the truth to Verizon & Comcast or would you rather decide for yourself what's BS and what's not?

This is the last open exchange of information we have left. Why would you want to give control to the same people that own all the other sources of information?
Don't corporations have enough power?

@urwutuis How many different high speed ISPs do you have access to? There's a reason things like water, electricity and phone...

Easy does it Urwut. The very reason the Internet has been able to explode in technical development is because it has not been regulated. Nerds and geeks have come out of the woodwork and made the Internet what it is today.

If it had been government regulated we'd still be on dial up modems and communicating on BBS.

Why would you want to give control over to the government? The fuck up everything they get their hands on!

@Budwick Easy does it Urwut. The very reason the Internet has been able to explode in technical development is because it...

It's not govt control. It's protection from corporate control. Title 2 only means ISPs can't throttle websites. Why is that a problem?

The reason tech exploded is because govt funds R&D.

It's funny you think the govt can run the military but nothing else.

Smart explanation of why dumping Net Neutrality is a good thing!
Thank you.

I don't know much about Net Neutrality, but from what I've read..

Power will be shifted from content providers to ISPs. Content providers like Netflix and YouTube might be okay. They have a huge customer base that could influence ISP decision making. Can you imagine the uproar if an ISP were to throttle down Netflix or YouTube to the point where their customers could not longer watch their content? (Of course, ISPs do not have any real competition in many markets).

The next potential content startup, however, will likely face insurmountable barriers to entry. Such innovation could take a serious hit.

@PhilboydStudge I don't know much about Net Neutrality, but from what I've read.. Power will be shifted from content providers to...

Don't you remember? They already did throttle Netflix. It's part of how it got put on title 2 to begin with.

This is the most ignorant and misinformed thing I've read in a long time. Don't you get it??? Net neutrality is what keeps corporations from censoring your information. Why do you think telephone, water and electricity are title 2? They're monopolies and left to corporations would be treated just like Martin Shkreli treated life saving medicine.

After all the corruption and the suffering corporations have inflicted on Americans while posting Record Profits and paying little or no taxes why would anyone with two brain cells to rub together trust them with control over information???
By what distorted logic would that be considered even acceptable much less good?

I'm not sure why but conservatives seem to come down on the wrong side of virtually every issue? Citizens united, trickle down, one term agenda, debt ceiling, climate change, George Zimmerman, Clive Bundy you name it. They're wrong almost every time.
Do they want corporate control? Have they been so indoctrinated into the neoliberal agenda they no longer see reality? It sure sounds like it. Probably because along with all the other other bullshit, they also believe the invisible hand, market fantasy.

Net neutrality is necessary to keep corporations from doing what they do. Increase profit regardless of consequences. To allow them to filter information and access speed is about the dumbest thing that could be done especially when coupled with the upcoming tax disaster.

Killing net neutrality will give corporations the ability to decide what information you have access to.

The reason the Internet was put under title 2 to begin with was because Comcast throttled Netflix because Netflix wouldn't pay the extortion Comcast wanted.

The Internet is no longer a luxury. Putting it in private hands is beyond stupid. It's criminal.

Don't let corporate crooks steal the last source of independent news and media.

If you want a free and open Internet support net neutrality.

@urwutuis This is the most ignorant and misinformed thing I've read in a long time. Don't you get it??? Net neutrality is...

The net neutrality rules that were just repealed were enacted in 2015. Virtually the entire development of the internet happened before they were brought in. Why do you believe they're necessary?

This situation is a perfect example of how people feel all smart for believing the line fed to them by the media, a group they should know by now doesn't have their best interests at heart. I mean, who owns the media? Massive multinational corporations. Yeah, you can trust them, they'd never fill you full of bullshit. I mean come on, you don't even have to study history, just look back at recent history. Iraq wars 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria all based on LIES. Lies that were sold to a gullible public by the same lying sacks of crap that would now like you to believe you need rules that didn't exist until 2 years ago to preserve something that developed without them. Come on, think about it.

It's necessary because corporations will use any means to increase profit. If they have the power to throttle websites what do you think will happen? The media that you think is bullshit is who you're giving power to.
How does throttling load speeds help anyone but the throttlers?
You think Comcast or Verizon has your best interests in mind?

It wasn't developed without govt. Who do you think funded all the research?