+6

We can't know the secrets of the universe, all we can do is make observations and write them down for future generations to ponder. Think of it likes this: science is just adding comments to sloppy code.

Image for post We can't know the secrets of the universe, all we can do is make observations and write them down for future generations to ponder.  Think of it likes this: science is just adding comments to sloppy code.
VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
7 22

Science is supposed to be the objective documentation of real phenomena and we do our best to explain it. It's good to write down our own history so future generations know the past and do not repeat its mistakes.

We may not know all of the secrets of the universe, but bit by bit we've been advancing our understanding. We stand on the shoulders of giants, but it's not built into our DNA, it's contingent upon us compiling knowledge and handing it down to successive generations for them to carry forward. Should the chain be broken, we could easily fall back into ignorance in a generation or two.

Some things change, some things don't. Scientific understanding and the technology it generates constantly expand, but there are things that were said thousands of years ago that are just as true today as they were back then. I think it's good to be familiar with both. The unchanging truths help you navigate the evolving ones.

.

This was written a little over 3000 years ago by King Solomon:

"Happy is the man that finds wisdom, and the man that gets understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things you can desire are not to be compared to her."

(Proverbs 3:13-18)

.

How true is that statement? We have technology today that people back then had never even dreamed of. And these advances did not come by way of wealth or power or any of the other things people desire, it came through the pursuit of knowledge. So how valuable is knowledge? More valuable than anything you can desire, because the pursuit of knowledge will lead you to things you've never even dreamed of.

It's true that God's creation is beautiful and complex beyond our understanding.

Consider taking a quiet moment and thanking God for sharing the Universe with us. And, keep in mind that God may want to keep some things to Himself.

@Budwick It's true that God's creation is beautiful and complex beyond our understanding. Consider taking a quiet moment...

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.

Proverbs 25:2

Which is why I say we cannot know. We are human, we don't have the capacity to know (100% for sure) what will happen next.

Agreed. The scientific method is a way of trying to falsify, not prove, ideas. Thus all scientific knowledge is provisional.

science is just adding comments to sloppy code.

^ lol. I like that.

"We can't know the secrets of the universe..."

Is that another one of those absolute truths that don't exist, Vic? biggrin smilie

@VicZinc Not sure why you think my opinions are "absolute truths" but thanks (I think).

I didn't say it was an absolute truth. I asked you a question.

Your post pontification was not, I remind you, prefaced by "in my opinion...". biggrin smilie

@Thinkerbell I didn't say it was an absolute truth. I asked you a question. Your post pontification was not, I remind you...

So is that the new policy on this opinion site, when you post under the heading "opinion" you have to state that it is an opinion? Or is that just your opinion?

@VicZinc So is that the new policy on this opinion site, when you post under the heading "opinion" you have to state that it...

Then is it your opinion that it is an absolute truth that "We can't know the secrets of the universe...", when on other occasions you have expressed the opinion that there are no absolute truths? biggrin smilie

@VicZinc That is one of the secrets of the universe that we cannot know

Then on what did you base your opinion that we cannot know the secrets, if it is your opinion that one of the secrets is that we cannot know whether or not we cannot know the secrets? biggrin smilie

Anonymous