What don't you see anymore?

From the world of everything.

Image for post What don't you see anymore?
ThePrinceofWaless avatar Law
16 54
@2703186

I miss the relative convenience of public payphones - portable phones aren't cost effective for my situation. Your other items are also excellent choices.

@2703239

Thank you. It's true that people are putting pen to paper and calculating almost by rote but both skills seem rare which, admittedly, isn't the same as not seeing "it anymore" - the issue with high-quality items: same thing - my bad... twenty lashes with a wet noodle.

@2703391

Why thank you :)

@2703239

Oh yes the older things were better. When I am out at a store and notice someone with nich clothing I always know it is something old because nothing made today looks as nice.

@2703397

me too it is too cold and I always wonder if i am doing it correctly.

@2703390

We have some left although the one close to me went out of business. Seems cars like mine a prius just don't fill up enough to pay for pump attendants. One other place the owner an older man pumps the gas to save money.

@2703186

Boz you got them all. Wind up clocks.

Public drinking fountains, police patrols on foot, letters written by hand, high-quality man-made goods, U.S. textiles made from the ground up, simple adding and subtracting in one's head.

@PartyOfOne Public drinking fountains, police patrols on foot, letters written by hand, high-quality man-made goods, U.S...

I wonder what ever happened to police patrols on foot? We don't have them here either. I'm guessing policing has become reactive rather than proactive as that makes it much easier to assign a dollar value.

@2703331

There once was a gent known as JD,
  Who said, to a well-bred young lady,
" 'Tis sad, website planners
  Can't legislate manners;
  The trolls are so crude, rude and shady!"

@2703378

Indeed; you were the inspiration for many of them. biggrin smilie

Kids delivering newspapers on their bicycles at 5am, schools full of skinny kids, diving boards at public swimming pools, topless bathers at regular beaches, cops that would pull you over for speeding and give you a warning, affordable electricity, a single rubbish bin per house, and Elvis... he's left the building.

@2703327

I wonder what kind of songs he'd be doing now if he was still with us?

@2703254

Yes, now it seems to be all about fines and convictions.

@OzSurfer Kids delivering newspapers on their bicycles at 5am, schools full of skinny kids, diving boards at public swimming...

You can still find payphones here-
Usually in shopping malls and bus/train stations.But not that many really.

@OzSurfer Payphone booths here have all been converted into internet wireless hotspots.

I know pay phones are important especially in places there are no towers no cell service. Lots of places like that on coastal Maine. They ought to put up a windmill with phone tower out there someplace. We really need both phone towers and electricity sources. mario8 smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I know pay phones are important especially in places there are no towers no cell service. Lots of places like...

I think the reason they don't here, is because where there is no towers or cell service, there is also no phone cables to run to pay phone, so instead the the Government provides a remote area subsidy for satellite phones. But tourists have to be careful when they go into these remote areas as they can find themeselves without phone access very easily if they are not prepared.

@ThePrinceofWales I have my newspaper delivered.The paperboy is 60!

Yes probably the same here, the guy delivers them in his car and unlike the paper boy that put them in your letter box, the guy just throws them in the general direction of your house with getting out of the car.

Funny only older people want to work now, the kids think they deserve to sleep all day and live for free. ono smilie

Civil discourse, smoky bars/pubs, floppy disks, Jarts, and console TVs.

@PhilboydStudge Civil discourse, smoky bars/pubs, floppy disks, Jarts, and console TVs.

I forgot about the smoke in public, that was a huge issue when I was a kid, even my doctor would smoke when I went to see him about my asthma.

Trees taking children hostage, non-reality television, people reading actual books.

That we are all the same. Only through the eyes of a child is there such hope and innocence.

@2703610

We still play with the lincoln logs but have added legos to the mix.

@2703610

I got lincoln logs as a kid but they didn't help play with dolls. biggrin smilie

CUTE GUYS!! :P well not entirely there just are less. What with such travesties as the hipster beard trends and the fedora vest combo look there really isn't much for me to look at there that doesn't scream "crazed eastern european ventrilloquist from the 20s"

Most of the rotary phones are gone and a stewardess (see how old I am) remarked on a flight I was one years ago that she had not seen anyone play solitaire with a real deck of cards in ages. I don't leave home without a book and a deck of cards.

Also steam engines

Common sense think smilie

🦋