FCC Chairman Mocks Those Concerned About the Repeal of 2015 Net Neutrality Regulations

I don't know about you guys, but I do not "gram" my food, or share selfies online. Not even with cute animals. I've read a LOT about the supposed pros and cons of this latest deregulation, and I'm still not entirely sure how "bad" or "good" it might be.

FCC Chair Ajit Pai 'Shows Just How Dumb He Thinks Americans Are' With Video Mocking Net Neutrality"And no this isn't fake. This really is the chairman of the FCC in a video created by a clickbait journalism site."https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/12/14/fcc-chair-ajit-pai-shows-just-how-dumb-he-thinks-americans-are-video-mocking-net
Piper2s avatar Politics
9 62
@2704279

Net neutrality is not govt control. I don't know where you guys get this stuff from. It's govt protection from corporate censorship. The FCC just gave control of the Internet to the mainstream media.

@2704671

You'll need to do some research if you want to discuss this because it's clear you don't know what neutrality means or what a title 2 common carrier is.

Millenials have no common sense? Is that an excuse?

Obamacare? Really?

RW policy is turning this country into a Fascist , third world dump and the right either can't or won't see it.
Now they can plug the final hole in the propaganda bucket. Repeal of neutrality gives corporate media total information control.

@2704279

what was your point this whole time? you just asked a bunch of questions, answered them weirdly then got angry about the left political wing and google... and this site gets WAY less traffic than pornhub and doesn't deserve what pornhub has earned in any sort of way.

also google doesn't cater to the left, it caters to whatever is searched most often so people can more easily find the questions they're most likely to ask. That dumb article didn't cross check the results for bing's or yahoo's suggestions (neither of which reflect the most common searches for the specific searched terms, but rather recommend things somewhat similar to what you type). If you wanna change google's search suggestions, search terms you want to see. Youtube kevjumba told all his fans to search "Is kevjumba a heterosexual bear wrestler?" and it was the first suggestion for the word "is" for years.

@2704279

Nah, not "broke". I do believe there were legitimate concerns leading up to the 2015 Title 2 regulations, however. It remains to be seen what impact repealing them will have.

This issue has nothing to do with anyone demanding overnight shipping.

@2705009

I'm just about positive that no one has claimed, or thought, that the repealed 2015 regulations would "equal the playing field called life".

Our government represents the donors who get them re-elected - not the people! This much should be clear to everyone. There's no call for them to be flippant and insulting about it.

I definitely see the possibility for issues but there's two reasons why it might be possible that things may not turn out too badly for the average consumer... and i'm no expert at all, this is just an observation.

One is that before net neutrality laws, the internet was pretty much run the way it is now so maybe the ISP's don't want to start making certain sites "user pay". But then who knows what may have transpired in their business plan since then? or who is really pushing an agenda and for what purpose?

The other thing is that assuming all the ISP's start to really mess with consumer services in the way some have said could happen, surely one enterprising ISP would offer a "net neutrality" package which means open use as there currently is now. They would clean up and all the other ISP's would lose business.

Hopefully it won't develop into something as bad as predicted.

@urwutuis How many cable companies do you have access to?

There's about 15 that I can think of, but probably more smaller ones.

@OzSurfer There's about 15 that I can think of, but probably more smaller ones.

You have 15 cable companies to choose from? That's hard to believe because most places have one. Do you have 15 cables coming into your house?

@urwutuis You have 15 cable companies to choose from? That's hard to believe because most places have one. Do you have 15...

We used to only have one, but a few years ago the Government deregulated the industry now they're everywhere. No there's only one cable per house hold... only needs to be. All the providers connect to a local node then whoever you choose gets access to your specific cable from that node.

@OzSurfer We used to only have one, but a few years ago the Government deregulated the industry now they're everywhere. No...

Interesting. Where I am there is no choice.
I was considering the possibility of organizing locals to get a community ISP.
I heard they did it in Chattanooga and it's supposedly cheaper and faster.

@urwutuis Interesting. Where I am there is no choice. I was considering the possibility of organizing locals to get a...

It sounds like a great idea if you are able to do that. I thought that the US had over 400 cable internet providers? I must look that up again, but I thought that there was heaps of competition? If so, you'd only need one of those to decide to keep the internet service the way it is now and they'll get a lot of business. But definitely a community (not for profit) ISP would be ideal to have anywhere if it could set up.

@2704530

Wow, I would have thought that in the US you guys would have so many choices. How come other companies don't start up there and offer competition? You will really need that if the changes to net neutrality have an adverse effect.

@2704542

Yes I see, that makes sense. In fact it's the same here in remote areas and often some can only get very slow satellite internet which is also expensive. Small towns like I'm in have quite a few choices but as you said, cities are the best place to live for internet choice and speed.

@2704546

That's good to hear. Our speeds used to be terrible but recently the Government invested 50 Billion upgrading the connecting infrastructure for the ISP's to use, so it's pretty reasonable now.

@2704530

In other words you have one.
I don't even have cable. I'm about 1/2 mile from where it ends so I'm satellite and it sucks. I know what being throttled is all about.

@OzSurfer It sounds like a great idea if you are able to do that. I thought that the US had over 400 cable internet...

There are a lot but almost all are owned by one of six conglomerates. There is no competition.

I've heard Europe has faster speeds at lower cost

@urwutuis There are a lot but almost all are owned by one of six conglomerates. There is no competition. I've heard Europe...

Ah I see. Yes I’ve heard that too about Europe. They also have the advantage of a small physical land mass compared to the US and Australia. The main problem with speeds is that it decreases the further away a house is from the transmission point, unless you have fibre optic cable to your home but that’s expensive and most of us don’t have that

@OzSurfer Ah I see. Yes I’ve heard that too about Europe. They also have the advantage of a small physical land mass...

I could be wrong but I don't think it's the distance. I think it's the Milton Friedman business model. Provide the worst service you can get away with at whatever the market will bear.

@urwutuis I could be wrong but I don't think it's the distance. I think it's the Milton Friedman business model. Provide the...

Maybe there's truth to both. Yes I've heard of that business model. All our ISP's here seem to have adopted that. Sure they can have good products, but try phoning support, changing plans, changing addresses, changing contact details etc, and it's like talking physics with someone from the flat earth society.

@urwutuis You're crackin' me up. The flat Earthers are definitely an odd bunch

Haha thanks but seriously those people are the only nutjob group that really scare me. The first thing they all say as a qualifier is that they don't believe in regular science or physics... that way they go on and on with their own brand of logic lol

There are a lot of cable companies ... and Internet Providers ... in the US.

HOWEVER - the vast majority of communities only issue operating licenses to 1 or 2, to come into their jurisdiction. (they do garbage service the same way)

So really, the problem the problem is that municipalities are allowed to regulate the market ... resulting in less competition and higher prices.

@Walt_OReagun There are a lot of cable companies ... and Internet Providers ... in the US. HOWEVER - the vast majority of...

Yes I see, thanks for explaining. Here there's less competition in smaller remote areas but at least it's open to any provider who wishes to offer a service. Still, remote communities usually get a sub standard service due to the lack of competition.

@2705486

How about that....so did I and many others! Before I acquired my very own computer though, when I was 48, access to and knowing how to use the internet was crucial at my workplace.

IF the internet got "broke" or compromised these days, it would undoubtedly cause much chaos. Since this post in no way implied that would happen because of the repeal of the 2015 Net Neutrality rules, I'll just say great, good for you! eyes smilie

@2704262

Not everyone, but I do have some concern about behemoth internet service providers and 'entities', taking advantage of this recent deregulation.

It's hard to believe that this douche managed to pull it off, how do the voices and opinions of most Americans go on unnoticed. I'm really glad that in the EU there are solid laws to protect net neutrality.

IDK what the result will be, but you can tell where everyone that commented gets their news from.

I figure I had no control when Obama put it in and I had no control when Trump took it out. I try to only worry about things I have some control over and I never blindly believe what "chicken little" medias profess on a daily basis.

@Will_Janitor IDK what the result will be, but you can tell where everyone that commented gets their news from. I figure I had...

Neither do I. As far as being able to tell where everyone who commented gets their news from, I can only speak for myself, of course. Most sources I've found concerning the net neutrality rules repeal, have indeed leaned towards "pro" or "con".

Yeah Will, there are many things we have little control over. At least fighting legislation in our various ways, isn't one of them.
I don't hear or read any "chicken little" medias on a daily basis....

@Piper2 Neither do I. As far as being able to tell where everyone who commented gets their news from, I can only speak for...

You wrote - "Most sources I've found concerning the net neutrality rules repeal, have indeed leaned towards "pro" or "con". " What does that mean? Most sources lean pro or con?

@Budwick You wrote - "Most sources I've found concerning the net neutrality rules repeal, have indeed leaned towards "pro"...

What does it mean? It means that most sources I've found concerning the the repeal of the net neutrality rules, do lean towards pro or con. That would be towards the repeal of the rules, and whether they feel it's more of a positive or negative move.

@Piper2 What does it mean? It means that most sources I've found concerning the the repeal of the net...

OK, so 'most sources' you've consulted are either for or against the repeal of Net Neutrality.

That's what I thought I read in your initial comment. I questioned it because I didn't understand why you would bother to point out something so obvious. I still wonder - but I don't think I care anymore, so if you don't want to answer, I'm perfectly OK with that.

Have a Merry Christmas Piper.

@Budwick OK, so 'most sources' you've consulted are either for or against the repeal of Net Neutrality. That's what I...

I "consulted" many sources, online, to read about the issue. Some are fairly neutral, most lean towards either pro or con about how the repeal of 2015 rules may impact internet users.

I was responding to Will's comment, obviously, about the comments on my post.

Thank you, Budwick. If I'm not mistaken, Christmas is 5 days away. Merry Christmas to you, too.

Weird - I can still access the Internet!

When government takes stuff over, stuff gets eff'd up. Fortunately Net Neutrality was nixed before that happened.

I don't expect any big changes, except maybe more competition, lower prices, improved service.

The Internet grew at exponential speed because there was no government regulation. The last 15 years or so have shown us incredible technological innovation. With government paws off it, I expect that will continue.

@Budwick Weird - I can still access the Internet! When government takes stuff over, stuff gets eff'd up. Fortunately...

It is my understanding, that the Title 2 Net Neutrality rules simply sought to keep the internet an open and level "playing field". To prevent the increasingly powerful internet service providers from blocking or slowing down content at will.

I don't expect any "big" changes either, at least not right away. One thing I do not expect, is lower prices or improved service.

https://www.popsci.com/net-neutrality-lies

@Piper2 It is my understanding, that the Title 2 Net Neutrality rules simply sought to keep the internet an open and...

No, of course you wouldn't expect lower prices or improved service. That would be an admission that the left was wrong. Can't have that!

@Budwick No, of course you wouldn't expect lower prices or improved service. That would be an admission that the left was...

I have no reason to expect that will happen, Bud. If it does though, I'll be just thrilled to pieces!

@Piper2 I have no reason to expect that will happen, Bud. If it does though, I'll be just thrilled to pieces!

Interesting sidenote;
In a conference call with it's investors a FedEx spokesman said that they have expectations of increased growth in GDP in 2018 and they as a result will be hiring people and acquiring more trucks and facilities to better handle the increase in business.

Probably just a coincidence. After all, CNN didn't report it, so it probably never even happened.

It's OK Piper. Even when America is flourishing you are welcome to enjoy the benefits of the Republican passed tax bill - whether you are told to like them or not.

@Budwick Interesting sidenote; In a conference call with it's investors a FedEx spokesman said that they have expectations...

That's great, and not surprising, considering the already steadily increasing number of people who do their shopping online.

I would love to see America "flourishing" more, Budwick. It is clearly too much to expect, for you to drop the condescension every now and then.

@Piper2 That's great, and not surprising, considering the already steadily increasing number of people who do their...

I'll tell you what Piper, when you find a way to muster an 'atta boy' for the work Trump and the republicans have done I'll reverse course.

Even this FedEx thing, you already have your own explanation that counters what the FedEx guy himself said. No recognition of what someone counter to leftward thinking at all. I mean, how does increased online shopping going to impact the GDP?

Sorry, you don't get a pass when you push back - even passive aggressively.

@Budwick I'll tell you what Piper, when you find a way to muster an 'atta boy' for the work Trump and the republicans have...

I'll reserve that 'atta boy', for when I see how this flurry of deregulation that partially led to the speculation that has increased the GDP, impacts the environment, workers, and all those little people who won't be getting any tax breaks.

Of course I am welcome to enjoy any benefits of the Republican tax bill, Budwick. That goes without saying, really. One of those pointing out something so obvious thingys.

I'm was neither asking or expecting a pass from your consistent condescension. It is predictable.