Jaxxis avatar Life
5 44

Pardon me. Why do adults pretend there is no Santa? Why do they take such great joy in trying to convince kid that it is "a huge whopper"?

@2706942

Didn't that get a bit confusing sometimes? I mean, in the most widespread version of story, Santa is explicitly the one who brings the presents (at least in my country) - So, when seeing references to it elsewhere, wasn't there any conflict with your parents' claim? :P

It's a wonderful fantasy for children. I don't call them lies at all. It was a wonderful experience for me and my kids.

@StarzAbove It's a wonderful fantasy for children. I don't call them lies at all. It was a wonderful experience for me and...

I agree too, I love fantasy, even as an adult I love to read books, watch movies and play games that are. As a kid I was very sensitive to lies but I never felt that later on I had been lied to. It was a great time being a kid then.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer So that when kids find out Santa isn't real... +5Reply
@OzSurfer I agree too, I love fantasy, even as an adult I love to read books, watch movies and play games that are. As a kid...

I don't remember my parents ever telling me about Santa, it was just something I thought was real, and I don't remember feeling sad when I realized he wasn't real. It was a fun time in my life growing up and it was when my kids still believed.

@StarzAbove I don't remember my parents ever telling me about Santa, it was just something I thought was real, and I don't...

That's really great, I'm especially glad you didn't feel sad when you found out. That suggests you had a lot of normality or stability in your life as a child. I think my sadness was more to do with fear and loss.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer So that when kids find out Santa isn't real... +2Reply
@OzSurfer That's really great, I'm especially glad you didn't feel sad when you found out. That suggests you had a lot of...

I did have a stable childhood....but coming from a large family, Santa never left much anyway. But Christmas was always fun for us, even without a lot of gifts. And for our birthdays we usually got a box of candy. lol And that was great.

@StarzAbove I did have a stable childhood....but coming from a large family, Santa never left much anyway. But Christmas was...

I understand that. The thing I loved most about it was that everyone in my family was happy and there was no anger. I think that’s why I was sad when I learned there was no Santa as I thought I’d lose that family happiness.

@StarzAbove You were a deep thinker, I never even gave that a thought.

Yes, whether or not I came to the right conclusions, that's always been an issue for me. The only time it was in my favour was when I worked in IT but outside of that, people just keep telling me not to over think things.

@OzSurfer Yes, whether or not I came to the right conclusions, that's always been an issue for me. The only time it was in...

Maybe you should take their advice. Overthinking can cause a person to come to the wrong conclusions a lot of times. I know I've done that before myself. I try to analyze things a lot, and have come to the wrong conclusions and found out later how wrong I was..

@2707767

And I'll bet you learned to skate on one foot, and pushed with the other one. lol lol

@2707800

hahah but it was fun, wasn't it? lol

It's all a mystery to me. I remember when I was about 7 my parents telling me that there was no santa, easter bunny or tooth fairy and i said so you mean there's no religious things either? oh no they said, that part is all real, just the fun things without the pain and suffering aren't. We make that up just for children. I found it really hard to take an adult seriously after that.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer So that when kids find out Santa isn't real... +6Reply

I know Santa origins is related with religion, so I'm guessing people just followed what religion said - I guess when no one showed with presents year after year, people started to realise he's not real, but still kept saying he was to children, since it's a "nice lie".

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +6Reply
@Sofia I know Santa origins is related with religion, so I'm guessing people just followed what religion said - I guess...

Perhaps but I know some children are frightened to know there are things sneaking around the house, making them feel never safe.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Perhaps but I know some children are frightened to know there are things sneaking around the house, making them...

I don't know any kid that is bothered with Santa entering their house to leave presents. I do know adults that find the whole Santa thing creepy though.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +5Reply

I've met someone who felt that way when they were a kid. My guess is that it's about the way the idea of santa etc is presented to their kids and the trust they have in their parents. I had a weird childhood but the santa part while it was going, was great and it's one of the few parts of my childhood that I miss.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer So that when kids find out Santa isn't real... +4Reply
@OzSurfer I've met someone who felt that way when they were a kid. My guess is that it's about the way the idea of santa etc...

Hey OZ glad you did enjoy it. I know I was learning santa wasn't real and my parents didn't want me to say that to my 4 years younger sister, so one year they dropped some things in the fireplace and put boot prints in there too. My sister being pretty grown up started saying dirty santa because she was sure he threw things into the ashs and got himself dirty too. roll smilie

We lie to them so they have an additional reason to be happy.

@2706983

After I came to realize there was no literal elf in a red suit, I understood that he was an allegory for my parents giving me their love.

We aren't big on Santa Claus but we do believe in the goodness, the kindness and the spirit of the season. When our kids asked us if Santa was real we told them the idea of Santa is carried in our hearts all year long, we just celebrate on Dec. 25.

Because being a child is fun.
You remember fun, right?

I'm not sure why we do it but the realization that your very own parents have not only been lying to you for years but they had enlisted the aid of relatives, neighbors, TV, shopping malls, and movies to do it is a bit of a shock.
The weirdest part is, once the charade is exposed, they want to you to be an accessory.

My pearents never did.

Anonymous