Have or Had You Heard of 'Swatting', Before This Tragic Incident?

"Pranks" are often cruel, I've always thought. Obviously, this swatting BS goes way beyond a mischievous joke or trick. I was surprised to find no record of family dogs being killed yet, since that happens so often in police raids. So damn sad, that this time a man lost his life.

Swatting case poses legal challenges for police, prosecutors - CNNThe 911 call was fake, authorities said, but the bullet was very real.http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/31/us/swatting-legal-ramifications/index.htmlImage for post Have or Had You Heard of 'Swatting', Before This Tragic Incident?
Piper2s avatar
9 46

No, I never heard of this horrid "prank". I believe it should be a serious felony even if no one is injured .... and a capital crime if someone is killed.

@JanHaskell No, I never heard of this horrid "prank". I believe it should be a serious felony even if no one is injured...

It will be interesting to see what the suspect ends up being charged with, if it can proven that he's responsible for the definitely horrid "prank".

@2708796

I wonder too, but I can imagine feeling disoriented, when surprised by an armed Swat team yelling orders at you.

@2708818

Yes, most of the sources I've read say something similar about Andrew Finch's hand movements.

One thing I wonder about though, when I hear of unarmed suspects being killed in Swat team raids. Officers sent to scenes like this one supposedly was, are presumably trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations like they thought this one was.

Marksmen, and negotiators. It seems like when they perceive a threatening gesture, they could shoot, say, in an arm or leg, as opposed to a fatal shot.

I don't blame the police officer for this tragedy , and I realize that reality isn't like an Alex Cross novel. Still, I do wonder if the officer who fatally shot Mr Finch, was too quick on the draw.

@2708896

I do understand, that they have to make split second decisions. It sickens me just as much, when a police officer is killed, almost always.

From what I've read and seen videos of, SWAT teams very often just go storming in without any warning. In this case of course, Mr Finch opened the door.

I would think that a marksman could disable a 'potential' shooter, without a mass center shot.

@2708796

I wouldn't blame the man because he had no idea what's going on, I dont blame the cop because he was expecting violence but the punk who caused this must be locked for a long time so no other braindead moron gets the same idea.

@2708803

I hadn't either. I've heard of numerous nightmare Swat team and 'regular' police raids though, often over a drug 'tip' that turned out to be false or exaggerated.

Yep, some loser who cant stand getting beat crank calls the GODDAMN S.W.A.T. team on this streamer and they cuff him right there. This idiot needs to be punished in the most harsh way as an example to others who think of doing it.

@2708845

I doubt if his sentence will be that long, but I certainly agree that the guy should get serious prison time.

Yeah, the cop killed an innocent person. Considering the situation the police thought they were facing, I'm not sure what I think should happen to the quick on the draw officer. If he's a "good' guy, he is likely feeling agonies of guilt for what he did.

The whole thing is just so wrong, and disturbing.

@2708872

It's not as "rare" as I first thought, but from what I've read about this particular kind of so-called prank, this is the first fatality.

It's hard to be very surprised anymore, by the horrible things some people do. It's not like that's a new thing, of course, but we hear about more of them these days, I think.

@2708878

I hadn't thought much about the other gamer, until you mentioned it. I agree with you, that the guy who posted the address shares some culpability. He had to know the danger he might be putting someone in, by posting an address online that he claimed as his own.

You know I share your feelings, concerning your last sentence.

Yes, I knew it existed. This man shouldn't have lost his life. Horrific.

Sad story. :(
No, I've never heard of swatting before. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't surprise me that some people would do that.
It's pretty sad and also strange. I mean, they had to actually shoot him to kill, only to go and find out that it was all a lie and he didn't even have any gun after all. Shouldn't the police have means to disable a person, that don't require killing? It definitely feels like they should have some plan for this kind of situation.

@primeiro Sad story. :( No, I've never heard of swatting before. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't surprise me that some...

It surely is. I would think they could shoot to disable too, Primeiro. Especially when faced with a suspect and situation based on nothing but a 911 call not traceable to the address.

I hadn't until the law enforcement official defined it during his report to the media - how they came to use that term for that offense is beyond me.

@PartyOfOne I hadn't until the law enforcement official defined it during his report to the media - how they came to use that...

I guess because the nature of the these malicious, spiteful calls, is usually the kind of situation that results in a swarm of police descending upon the target....often a "SWAT" team.

If you mean the mean the "prank" part, I agree that is too mild a term for it.

@Piper2 I guess because the nature of the these malicious, spiteful calls, is usually the kind of situation that results...

Oh... yes, I was addressing the use of the term "swatting" - sorry about the confusing way I put it :)

Yes, swatting happens all the time, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Anyone who does shit like this needs to be severely punished.

@Thedudeyouhatetomeet Yes, swatting happens all the time, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Anyone...

I had no idea, how not rare this kind of call is. Knowing that now, I am also surprised that this seems to be the first time someone lost their life as a result.

I couldn't agree more....

@2711577

Yes and yes.....

Yes, I've heard of it before.
Seems to be getting more common ... especially among people playing online games against each other. (just another reason NOT to play those games)

Personally, I believe if we are going to look at America's "gun culture" - we have to take a HARD look at the militarization of police departments, which has been going on since the 1960's. Not to mention the encouragement of the Us vs Them mentality, common to nearly all police departments. We need to go back to "peace officers", and less "law enforcement officers". We need less "wars" on our own people, under the names like "war on drugs" or "war on poverty".

@Walt_OReagun Yes, I've heard of it before. Seems to be getting more common ... especially among people playing online games...

Not playing those online games doesn't make me feel any safer from such police swarms, though. It didn't make any difference for Andrew Finch.
I appreciate your reply, and very good points.

Piper I have never heard of it did you include a link to explain the swatting?? I don't see it

I had not heard of this before I read about it. But I see quite a few posts in this thread demanding that the perpetrator be punished. Do we know in fact that he was not punished? It is already a crime to make a false police report, so I would think that the authorities in this case would be justified to charge the perpetrator under that statute.

Anonymous