+11

People say there is too much hate when discussing politics on here. So what?

Of course there is hate when it comes to politics, but who feeds that hate? The media, the political parties, and nut cases on all sides who demand their extremist agendas be followed. Some people get angry when arguments and disagreements get heated here or on other sites. Personally, I think heated debates serve a purpose. Why do we get into a heated debate to begin with? It's because we are frustrated and powerless to change anything. (Anyone who believes their rants or raving actually changes anything is kidding themselves) Where else can we go and vent our frustrations and anger? I think it's better to have a place to blow off a little steam now and then, than to keep it bottled up inside. When I get into a heated debate with someone, I can still keep it all in perspective that this is a safe environment to say what I want to say. (Zonky isn't going to come to Colorado and hunt me down for something I said <s>) If someone pisses me off, that's OK. If I piss someone else off, that's OK as well. Next week we might give each other a thumbs up on story posed about a dog and a child. If we don't, that's fine as well. Keep it in perspective.

JustJimColos avatar Politics
9 46

I came to this site to vent my frustration with last years election. My very first post was filled with anger.
I have had many debates, some have turned to mud slingling rants. Because of my views i have been called very ugly names, been wished dead and threatened. But, really, who is going to harm me? But, those interactions have compelled me look at people in my real world somewhat differently. Im not certain how i feel about that.
But then, too, i have had conversations with people like you, jim, where we may not agree but i have learned things. Come to an understanding as to why you believe the things you do. And i respect and appreciate you for that.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +12Reply
@Carla I came to this site to vent my frustration with last years election. My very first post was filled with anger. I...

You and I have agreed to disagree on a number of things Carla so it's been easy for us to banter around a little bit while knowing when to switch the topic to puppies. If the discussion turns more serious, we take it off line and chat privately. We've never belittled each other no matter how far apart we are on politics. (I have really valued our chats and interacting with you and learning more about how you see things has been insightful to me)
I think some of the people on the internet are somewhat timid in the real world and learning to stand up for what you believe in here, helps people stand up to people in the real world.

@JustJimColo You and I have agreed to disagree on a number of things Carla so it's been easy for us to banter around a little...

I enjoy our talks, too.

I hope this kind of forum helps people. I also hope it doesnt embolden people to be outwardly unkind in life, as it at times, does here.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +6Reply
@Carla I enjoy our talks, too. I hope this kind of forum helps people. I also hope it doesnt embolden people to be...

I would hope it emboldens them enough to speak up Carla. It seems to me that we have a very loud and vocal, small minority of people who we always hear from and get a lot of media coverage. The silent majority has become too afraid to stand up and say enough is enough. (I really think that is what happened during the last election. The majority of people were fed up with the government on both sides and corruption as a whole) This country has gotten to the point where it is becoming "illegal" to vocally oppose something.

If I ever had the chance to discuss both sides of US politics with anyone it'd be with you and Carla. If only more could be like you two.

@Carla I feel certain jim would welcome that discussion, as would i:)

Thanks! :) It's a subject which I have a lot of questions about as it seems quite foreign to me reading the many posts on here but I never feel confident asking publicly as my knowledge is probably on par with an average US 5 year old lol

@2709611

Thanks! I have always had some pretty general questions and asking them wouldn't be about taking sides, more about processes. I guess I've been reluctant because they always seem to divide people online, but I might give it a try.

@OzSurfer Thanks! I have always had some pretty general questions and asking them wouldn't be about taking sides, more about...

I wouldn't worry too much about dividing. Most people already have their lines drawn on where they stand.

@2709611

So true Linn, but people learned from that and he is out of office now. :) :)

@2709836

LOL... May be true, may not be. I guess we'll find out. The last one was sure full of Sh%&* when it came to promises. Maybe we should just eliminate the government altogether, start over and make Mighty Mouse, King.

@2709951

I agree. Marijuana is a good example. Decriminalize it at the federal level and leave it up to the states. The same with many other things. I wish I could say they should use common sense, but we both know that doesn't and hasn't existed with either party since before we were born. I think the Federal government should have and enforce 27 laws/rights which are known as the Constitution, and the states should also be bound to those 27, as well as the authority to create other laws as long as they do not infringe on the 27. The problem has come in when each of the constitutional amendments has thousands of federal laws that they claim are part of it.

@2710011

Politicians have been playing Santa Clause to countries that hate us since before we were born Linn. What's one of the first things we do after we are at war with a country? We rebuild their country, including their infrastructure. Not until now, has anyone in Washington said "no more". (I know you don't like Trump, but at least someone is finally saying, we should come first. Every politician should be saying that.) <s>

@2710030

I was mainly referring to Europe when I mentioned the rebuilding.
You are correct about the Middle East. I've had the dubious "pleasure" of spending a lot more time there over the past 28 years than I wanted.
When we talk about Trump, I'm not talking about supporting or not supporting his methods here Linn. Only time will tell how effective or ineffective he will be. I'm simply supporting the "mindset" that America should come first when it comes to our priorities. I'm not saying we should be isolationists either. I just want an even playing field.
Remember the Bill Cosby skit when he was talking about fighting the British and the toss of the coin? "Settlers, you won the toss. Settlers can hide and shoot from behind rocks and trees. British must wear red and march in a straight line."

@2710091

The flip side of that Linn is, how many people don't listen until someone sticks a boot up their behind?

(Come on..... I know you know some... LOL)

@OzSurfer If I ever had the chance to discuss both sides of US politics with anyone it'd be with you and Carla. If only more...

I'd be happy to discuss politics off line. This is the only place I can really discuss politics since it is illegal for me to discuss them with co-workers and peers.

The what appears to be "hate" and or contempt for others simply because of differing political views often displayed here, does get disheartening.

Still, I think heated debates are fine, and if people wish to engage to in personally insulting back and forths....I figure it's their business. It really bugs me, that some people here try to get other members kicked off the site, just because they don't like what they have to say.

@2709549

I'm not surprised. Yesterday, I saw someone laughingly agree with a former mod who commented that those who blocked him were "fragile snowflakes". I know for sure, that the member who laughingly agreed, blocks people all the damn time. biggrin smilie

I doubt that to be true about one of the former mods, MonaLea. I'm pretty sure he he's no more a 'fan' of unwarranted online censorship, than I am.

@2709919

Although I've never blocked anyone myself, I can understand the urge to.

@2709928

Many people here do "hit below the belt".

@2710123

Ah well...some internet tough guys do get their panties in a bunch when they get blocked. smirk smilie

American politics is like watching Al Bundy fitting a shoe to a very fat lady.

Embarrassing and not really as much fun as the product itself suggests.

I do like the red, though. Great voice actress and nice titties on SOA, as well.

Great post Jim.

I believe political debates are healthy. People's frustrations and heated, emotional arguments come with the territory. That's to be expected.

My concern is that the online vitriol is just a symptom of more than frustration. I have never seen such contempt between us citizens. Perhaps we should be trying to better understand each other first. I believe I could have a beer with any member here and we'd walk away with a better understanding of each other, and any lingering anger would be tempered by a mutual respect.

@PhilboydStudge Great post Jim. I believe political debates are healthy. People's frustrations and heated, emotional arguments...

Thanks Phil. I agree with you. It's not just contempt between people. It's the groups of people who are outraged at others in their "groups" if they don't always agree with 100% of what they say or don't defend that agenda. Look at what happens to a prominent black, or gay, or muslim, or Christian, or woman, or actor, speaks out against what is happening within the group they are associated with. They are ostracized, called a traitor, and blackballed. Too many people not only don't want an "open" discussion, but don't want anyone else to have an open discussion either that may end up getting people to think. I think Antifa is one example of that. I've had a few "beers" with Carla and others on here and we have a mutual respect for our opposing views. There are also some on here (as in real life) that are impossible to have that beer with because they just don't want to have any discussion with anyone that does not support their viewpoint 100%. I really enjoy those I can have mutual respect with, while still have opposing viewpoints. Those kind of people I can learn something from, and hopefully, they can learn something from me. Too often, all we do is bitch about something but don't do anything constructive about it.

I wrote a novel about people and their need to prove what they say, then I deleted it because I just can't be fucked. The thing is, and this echos what others are saying, is that this forum is the product of the membership. It is really that simple. Everyone has a choice.

Anonymous