+11

Life is not fair. Inequality of wealth is a manifestation of humanness and it is not clear that societies can or should do anything to change that. It is clear to me however that inequity is not a paradigm of virtue nor a source of pride. Human beings have failed to rise above the level of common beasts and this brings mankind shame not honor.

Image for post Life is not fair. Inequality of wealth is a manifestation of humanness and it is not clear that societies can or should do anything to change that.  It is clear to me however that inequity is //not// a paradigm of virtue nor a source of pride.  Human beings have failed to rise above the level of common beasts and this brings mankind shame not honor.
VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
9 25

I fully believe that humans are born with the traits of selfishness and greed. We have to be taught to be generous and fair. Some are just more prone to learning those lessons more easily than others.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply

It seems to me that deep down we're still insecure animals. We instinctively hoard things. Indeed this ability is should not be equated with virtue.

In a fair system, outcomes will never be equal, because people aren't equal. Some of that is the result of our personalities and our choices, and some of it is a result of our circumstances, but those things will never be truly equal. Whether that's a source of pride, shame or indifference for you is irrelevant, that's how it is and it will never change.

You can help people, or offer them the tools to help themselves, that's virtuous, so is being fair, but you can't make people equal. Like animals, we may look similar, but we are all unique.

Well, I don't think seagulls beat us to it, either.

Recently I saw a video on youtube where it was suggested what if Earth was just one giant country, with all the continents and all the countries under 1 union, I immediately brushed off the idea. The problem here is not that we can't think of a system that can be fair to everyone where people can live well and happy. The problem is that humans are easily corrupt and unreliable, so many have fallen into the trap of greed for power and wealth. Just look at the world now, there is so much hatred that even countries have trouble staying as the same country.

@2710507

Precisely

Equal opportunity does not mean equal wealth. Everyone should have opportunity to do well but do not expect to do as well as others.
Look at the fortunes made - and lost- by NFL players, musicians, actors, etc. Some average hard working joes are doing better than some of the "elite" because they know they have to manage their funds better so they can be stable in life.

Animals fighting for resources (food typically) is not at all uncommon.

Inequity is not a paradigm of virtue.
OK. Government taking from one to give to another isn't either.

Screw socialists and communists. Those who know how to make money should, and have good right to, go out and make it. It’s your own fault if your not in the big bux.

@2710927

We eat other species. Dogs don't eat dogs very often either.

@VicZinc We eat other species. Dogs don't eat dogs very often either.

Well, there is that rumor that, after being starved, ate the uncle of that little guy in NK.