What do you do in stressful times when you have deadlines, how do you organize yourself, how do you keep yourself disciplined and most importantly how do you reduce your stress?

As always as it happens to me I get stressed out even before I study. The fear is causing me to create a self fulfilling prophesy to fail. Sometimes I cant even focus on studying because of the fear of failing or when I can't comprehend what I'm reading. Nights don't go well either as I often can't sleep and end up sleeping till noon and waste precious hours.

Image for post What do you do in stressful times when you have deadlines, how do you organize yourself, how do you keep yourself disciplined and most importantly how do you reduce your stress?
50% Anything practical goes, really. I'm open to any opinion. 50% Other
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
6 20

The first thing I do is to prioritize. Getting the most important thing done first always reduces the stress on the "smaller stuff".

@2710547

If I want to go out to take a walk or go to the gym it feels wrong, like I'm wasting even more time

@2710549

It might also be why I cant sleep, my mind is exhausted while my body is not

@2710547

Yes, I think that's also huge, knowing how you work. As we're all different, some work better under stress, some work worse.

Personally I need some stress to really kick a big project into gear. But too much stress can be bad too and need a distraction like MonaLea talked about, with a little walk or mini project, like I talked about in my answer below, putting a letter on something smaller that's not really a time thing.

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Anything practical goes, really. I'm open to... +2Reply
@2711099

Yeah I need some of that adrenaline or excitement to get motivated to tackle a big project. So if I'm not excited about a project, I tend to procrastinate on the project until the deadline starts creating some stress/adrenaline.

When I talked so an advisor about it, they suggested that I might be a bit addicted to that adrenaline... but it has almost always worked for me, and I've been successful with it. So if it's not broken and it's lead to success, then maybe keep going with it.

What other people already said: I usually try to prioritize and focus on each task at a time. Sometimes I start with the ones that are bothering me the most and that I want to get out of my way ASAP.
Sometimes I also switch between tasks. When I'm happy with the progress in a task, even if it was just partial, I may switch to another one, and continue the first one later, and so on. THat's helpful, for not getting too mentally tired by the same thing.
Also, it's important to set up reasonable goals and expectations for yourself, and try to feel confident that you're doing what you can. I know the feeling, by the way - I understand this fear/stress all too well. When I'm feeling that way, it sometimes helps to think of all the effort that I'm putting into what I'm doing and to realize that I'm doing what I can, and that any further drilling down is not very likely to change whatever outcome I will get. That way of thinking helps me to take a break without feeling guilty.

primeiros avatar primeiro Anything practical goes, really. I'm open to... +4Reply

What has worked for me is to remind myself that I can only do my best. If I try my best and fail, then so be it. There's nothing more I could have done.
Internalizing this thinking allowed me to dismiss the "what if I fail" type internal dialog. I'd worry about that later. Right now it's balls to the walls time.

Once I'm in this state of mind it's much easier to decide upon my plan of attack. I then can focus on my first task pretty much to the exclusion of all else. When that task is done, I move onto the next. If constrained by time I will sometimes set limits on the time I spend on a task.

Good luck.

If it gets too stressful, I've found for me, that it helps to write everything down.

Get a physical hand written list of things I need to do, and then put a number next to them about priority order, starting at one and keep going (some will get a letter, if it's not really on a time deadline, like just need to check the results of something, or run to the store and get certain items).

Then I start at #1 and start working on the list...

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Anything practical goes, really. I'm open to... +4Reply
@Sunny_the_skeptic Interesting, I've never actually written down my priorities, might try that too.

Yeah, one of the problems I have, that causes more stress, is that I'm trying to remember all the things I've got to get done... and then my mind will be racing trying to remember and keep up with everything.

That mind racing is HORRIBLE for me trying to get less, and less/worse sleep = more stress...

But writing it down on paper into a list then lets my mind relax more (not trying to remember as much) and then I get more things done (including sleep better which also helps get rid of the stress).

For me, making a computer list does NOT work as well as making a hand written list though.

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Anything practical goes, really. I'm open to... +3Reply

It depends on what's going on. If I'm trying to work and my depression or anxiety kick in then I spend a lot of time not working then stressing about all the work that isn't getting done. Making achievable goals is key, but sometimes life gets to be a bit too much and you just need to take a break. When that happens I turn to Netflix or Skyrim.

Anonymous