+305

People who claim to be Agnostic/Atheists should first learn about religions before they deny them. (I'm Agnostic by the way). Amirite?

Assuas avatar
2 64
The voters have decided that Assua is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Most atheists and agnostics I know seem to know more about religion then religious people do. I'm an atheist and I went to catholic school for several years. The more you learn about religion, the harder it is to explain away all of the huge holes in the stories.

@Most atheists and agnostics I know seem to know more about religion then religious people do. I'm an atheist and I...

I've noticed a similar pattern. I'm an atheist, and I find it both interesting and relevant to have a solid background in major religions. It helps you understand current events, etc. and it's simply good to know where others are coming from.

@yddraigarian i'm sure people could go on for hours about this.

exactly. Neither side can win because the Bible will never be proven, likewise, it can never be disproven.

The average atheist knows more about religion than the average Christian. Weird.

@LAKERSoverHEAT The average atheist knows more about religion than the average Christian. Weird.

I think it's pathetic that someone would affiliate with a religion without knowing A LOT about it.
I seriously know more about Christianity than most of the Christians I know.

Im agnostic, and yes I have studied various religions

@Im agnostic, and yes I have studied various religions

That's a good thing you did! I read both the Bible and Koran.

Assuas avatar Assua Yeah You Are 0Reply

I believe everyone should have to know about the major religions.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible
gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

I'm Agnostic as well. I was brought up in a Catholic family, even went to Sunday School for 8 years. But the whole time through it, I'm sittin' there thinkin' it was all bull shit.
I believe there's a higher power, but I think the bible is complete bull.

People who claim to be religious should first learn about their religion before following it.

Although I agree, I also mildly disagree. The morals shouldn't matter. It's about the deity you're believing in. And all deities are similar in many ways. So most of the time it isn't necessary to look at the morals since you can create your own anyways. It's all about the deity(ies).

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +3Reply

Agnostics don't deny religion.

@Agnostics don't deny religion.

There are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists.

@Agnostics don't deny religion.

@163644 (Anonymous): Agnostics all have individual belives and not "no beliefs at all". Some deny religion and believe there is something out there and some are not sure wheter religion/God are real so they are debating. Just because you don't deny religion doesn't mean every other Agnostic person doesn't deny religion. I deny religion but I believe there is a Godly entity. If there is somene like me then you cannot generalize like that.

Assuas avatar Assua Yeah You Are +1Reply

Especially Christianity, the more you hear about it, the more incredulous and doubtful you become. You really start to question a lot of the Bible's contents, and it makes it harder to believe. It's really hard for me, but I haven't given it up quite yet.

Do you have any idea how many religions exist? Or how many have existed for that matter? Studying any less than all of them would basically be pointless. I really don't see why this should be a requirement.

@Do you have any idea how many religions exist? Or how many have existed for that matter? Studying any less than all...

I think the OP meant the big religions (i.e., Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.)

@vondahl I think the OP meant the big religions (i.e., Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.)

Why should the bigger religions be viewed as more valid than others? There's nothing to suggest that Christianity is any more likely to be real than some small tribal religion in Africa.

@Why should the bigger religions be viewed as more valid than others? There's nothing to suggest that Christianity...

My post didn't have that implication at all.
In my opinion, it might be somewhat more relevant to current events to be well-acquainted with major religions, but there's nothing wrong with knowing about the "little" religions too.
As an atheist, I don't believe any of them to be necessarily valid.

@vondahl My post didn't have that implication at all. In my opinion, it might be somewhat more relevant to current events to...

Yeah, but OP basically wants it to be REQUIRED to know about religions if you're atheist/agnostic, where's the logic in that? Sure, it's always a good thing to know something about literately anything no matter who you are, but that's not what OP is getting at.

@Yeah, but OP basically wants it to be REQUIRED to know about religions if you're atheist/agnostic, where's the...

Do you have anything intelligent to add to the conversation? Or would you rather misinterpret everything we're saying and split hairs? Would you rather read things out of context and put words in my mouth?

@855350 (Anonymous): op never said to study all religions. Also vondahl never said that the bigger religions were "more valid" just bigger. Your very ignorant.

@Nicole_Anonymous @855350 (Anonymous): op never said to study all religions. Also vondahl never said that the bigger religions were...

I can't be sure what OP means by "religions they deny" but it seems like he's saying any religion you don't believe in. And yes "vondahl" IS saying they're more valid otherwise why should you know something about them but not any other religions. By the way it's "You're" as in "you are". How the fuck am I being ignorant?

@I can't be sure what OP means by "religions they deny" but it seems like he's saying any religion you don't believe...

Okay, listen. I understand it's hard to hear with your head so far up your ass, but please try.
1. I did not say one religion is more valid than the other. Need textual support?
"In my opinion, it might be somewhat more relevant to current events to be well-acquainted with major religions, but there's nothing wrong with knowing about the "little" religions too."
I never once said you should know about major religions but not small ones. I just said it's more relevant to current events. Which is inarguably true.
2. It's obvious you're out of ammo if you're going to start picking at people's grammar.

@vondahl Okay, listen. I understand it's hard to hear with your head so far up your ass, but please try. 1. I did not say...

It's obvious you're out of ammo if you make an entire comment just insulting me. "In my opinion, it might be somewhat more relevant to current events to be well-acquainted with major religions, but there's nothing wrong with knowing about the "little" religions too." came from a comment you made AFTER, I repeat AFTER I asked why they should be viewed as less valid. I didn't even specifically say that that was what you thought. And the thing is knowing about current events is NOT what the original post was about. OP basically said that before you can even call yourself an atheist/agnostic ("People who claim to be Agnostic/Atheists should first") you HAVE to know a certain amount about religions. If it was just "Even if your an atheist it's always a good thing to know something about important religions" I'd have absolutely no problem with it. Get where I'm coming from yet? Or would you like to continue accusing me of being "unintelligent/ignorant/a troll"?

@DanielJames Should = suggestion, not a requirement.

The post still implies that if you don't you're not worthy of calling yourself atheist/agnostic. If you don't believe in any god you are an atheist, period, there is no "claim to be" about it.

@The post still implies that if you don't you're not worthy of calling yourself atheist/agnostic. If you don't...

I am not going to argue semantics with you. I suppose the post could have been worded better.

@DanielJames I am not going to argue semantics with you. I suppose the post could have been worded better.

The post says that if you don't know anything about religions you're only "claiming" to be atheist/agnostic. I don't see how it could be understood any other way. But you don't have to reply if you don't want to argue about it.

@The post says that if you don't know anything about religions you're only "claiming" to be atheist/agnostic. I...

I understand your argument fully and accept it. The post should have been worded differently. I AGREE with you, but I just think semantics is too petty of a reason to disagree with a post.

@DanielJames I understand your argument fully and accept it. The post should have been worded differently. I AGREE with you, but...

Until I saw the other comments I thought that was the only way anyone could understand it. If I am only disagreeing with it because of semantics, you're only agreeing with it because of semantics. So in other words; no, I am not.

No she said BIGGER not more valid! And you are being ignorant because you are misinterpreting everything that is being said!

@Nicole_Anonymous No she said BIGGER not more valid! And you are being ignorant because you are misinterpreting everything that is...

Misunderstanding =/= Ignorant. I assumed she thought they were more valid because she said they were the religions you should know about not any other. Apparently I assumed wrong, but there's nothing wrong with making assumptions EVERYONE does it ALL THE TIME and it's not like I kept saying that that was what she said. Now get the fuck over it, why does it matter so much to you?

@Misunderstanding =/= Ignorant. I assumed she thought they were more valid because she said they were the religions...

Yeah well all your assumptions were wrong and yeah you said it twice. People like you get on my nerves.

@Nicole_Anonymous Yeah well all your assumptions were wrong and yeah you said it twice. People like you get on my nerves.

I said it twice because YOU brought it up. People like you (giant assholes) get on my nerves too. I hope to never "meet" you again and that nobody else has to suffer from your ignorance, goodbye.

@I said it twice because YOU brought it up. People like you (giant assholes) get on my nerves too. I hope to never...

yeah, I'm the one being ignorant! I honestly hope your computer/phone brakes so nobody else has to "meet" YOU again because YOU are the giant annoying asshole.

@vondahl THANK YOU!

I think anonymous is a bit of a troll.

@Nicole_Anonymous I think anonymous is a bit of a troll.

I think anonymous is not a troll, but a person who can't find anything worthwhile to add to the conversation.

I'm Agnostic, and I don't think you need to learn in detail about other religions before you decide that you are Agnostic/Atheist. As long as you have a general overview of other religions I think you can make an informed choice to be an Agnostic/Atheist.
For example, Atheists don't believe in a God, therefore all you need to know about other religions, such as Christianity, is that followers believe in a God. That's it. If you don't believe in a greater being, then you don't follow Christianity. Knowing all the other details of Christianity is irrelevant in that individual's decision. And yes, maybe if they did find out more about a particular religion they would find aspects of it that they agree with, but if you doubt any part of a religion, especially the belief in a God or Gods, then you can't exactly follow that religion. So as long as you understand the general idea of a religion, you can choose to be Agnostic/Atheist.

I grew up as a Christian, and as I learned more about it I turned Agnostic.

However, even if that wasn't so, I can deny whatever I want, regardless of if I only knew a little or a lot about it.

@TicTacAddict I grew up as a Christian, and as I learned more about it I turned Agnostic. However, even if that wasn't so, I can...

" I can deny whatever I want, regardless of if I only knew a little or a lot about it."

That is a very ignorant statement. You cannot make an educated opinion on something if you don't know a lot about it.

@DanielJames definition of ignorance.

If being ignorant means I retain my freedom, then that's fine.

@TicTacAddict If being ignorant means I retain my freedom, then that's fine.

I do not deny your right to deny, I am simply saying you're ignorant for denying something you have no knowledge of.

@DanielJames I do not deny your right to deny, I am simply saying you're ignorant for denying something you have no knowledge of.

I didn't exactly say I could deny it without any knowledge at all. I said at least a little. But, okay.

That's like saying any religious people should learn about religions before they reject them.

sansas avatar sansa No Way 0Reply
@sansa That's like saying any religious people should learn about religions before they reject them.

They should. Otherwise, they are simply blindly following their religion simply because their family followed it.

I've studied a bunch of religions before.
I've actually had a time when I mentioned I was Agnostic but have read things such as the bible and someone said "If you've read the bible, doesn't that mean you're Christian?"

Needless to say, that kid was classified as "extremely stupid" for the whole year.

Why would I learn all about something that has no evidence of being real? That's like saying you need to learn the complete history behind the tooth fairy, or unicorns. That would be a waste of time, and most atheists realize time is not something to waste.

we all start off with preconceptions formed by our family atmosphere, that can't be helped, so saying that prior to following one path you have to explore the others doesnt always work. but once people are old enough to exploreon their own, sure this rule works, but it applies both ways. members of major religions may want to consider reading up on the secular theories of how the world works if they are to do their part in bridging the gap in conversation.

You're kind of a faggot.

Being Agnostic is just an excuse for not being constantly searching for God. It's taking the "easy way out". Oh yeah, I believe there' s a higher power, why not pray to it? Thank it for what you have? I'm not saying follow Christianity, but at least follow your higher power whatever that may be. At least Atheists know what they believe. At least Christians know what they are going for. At least Muslims know what they are going for. Seriously, you're all stupid if you're Agnostic.

@ShelleyL Being Agnostic is just an excuse for not being constantly searching for God. It's taking the "easy way out". Oh...

Don't go calling agnostics stupid. Respect other people's beliefs even if they don't respect yours. Saying that agnostics are stupid is very ignorant of you. Being agnostic isn't taking the "easy way out". Maybe they've endlessly tried to believe in God, or a higher power, but just can't seem to. And maybe this 'higher power' just isn't answering their prayers. Not everyone HAS to know what they believe in. You just seem like a douchebag.

maybe because if they aren't sure and don't think we ever can be sure of what the truth is, there is no point devoting time to the rituals one side or the other suggests.