In what decade was quality more important than quantity?

67% Comment 33% Other
Mashas avatar Politics
6 18

I'd say the 30's and 50's.

I'm thinking the 50's A lot of housing tracts going up, small but well built. Interstate freeway system was started. Food was natural ingredients and not like the garbage they put in food now. Cars as well as major appliances were built to last 20 years or more, and to top it all off, a one income was enough to support an entire family.

Probably the 50's.

I'd say the fifties through the sixties

I have lived only trough 2 decades so not much of a choice

@Sunny_the_skeptic I have lived only trough 2 decades so not much of a choice

Perhaps not a long time to choose, but we always have choices.

@Budwick Perhaps not a long time to choose, but we always have choices.

Weird times are approaching. I don't know if I will ever have a favorite decade, but maybe that's just my pessimism.

I understand and respect the question. I agree with Rooster and others.

HOWEVER - [I know, never a simple answer from grumpy old Budwick] - I believe that quality has always been more important than quantity. But, we've been trained to think otherwise.

I remember department stores in downtown Milwaukee (not New York) before the early 60's. Multi level stores crawling with nicely dressed, courteous, knowledgeable employees offering to help you find what you might be looking for. People to assist fitting shoes, pants, shirts etc. People in the appliance area actually familiar with the products on display. Lot's of products and brands to choose from.

Then, stores like Treasure Island and K-Mart sprung up. Vast stores with mountains of crap and not an employee in sight. But the crap was less cost than the department stores.

Over time, department stores gave up and disappeared. More and more high volume crap stores popped up all over the place. Nobody complained (except for old farts like me.) I remember when the local family owned hardware store closed. It felt like a good friend had passed away.

And now, another generation of shopping mutation is well underway. Online stores are creaming the brick and mortar shops. The good news is that online shops like Amazon have both available - crap and good stuff. But, it's up to you to know the difference.