I was formally counseled by my Manager for eating a carrot at work

I had an incident at work today which I felt was so bizarre that it has prompted me to make my first ever post on AM.

I work in an open office with about 150 cubicles on each floor and someone reported me for eating a carrot at my desk as it was too loud so I was formally counseled by my Team Leader who I might add, struggled to keep a straight face given the ridiculous system that allows such a report to be taken seriously.

I was told that I don't have to stop eating carrots but now I will be given two carrot-breaks during the day to be taken in the lunch room (yes it's true!)

So I'm now going to have to be either less productive or give up carrots and I only eat two a day. Most other people eat chips which I felt were just as noisy and less healthy.

If you were my employer, how would you deal with such a complaint? You may include politics and the use of guns :)

Image for post I was formally counseled by my Manager for eating a carrot at work
6% I should be arrested for my carrot eating behavior 3% I should have chosen celery instead 12% If I ate meat none of this would have happened 26% Carrots have feelings too 38% Some people are way to sensitive 3% I could just cook my carrots, right? 12% Other
OzSurfers avatar Life
20 89

I was formally counseled by a carrot for eating your manager at work.

@OzSurfer Hahaha! awesome!... actually that'd make more sense lol

crazy. Try baby food carrots or cooked carrots instead.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I could just cook my carrots, right? +3Reply
@OzSurfer Cooked carrots sound like a plan, thanks!

ya I even eat canned in salads sometimes. Did you find out who was complaining? What fussy mutts there.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I could just cook my carrots, right? +2Reply
@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred ya I even eat canned in salads sometimes. Did you find out who was complaining? What fussy mutts there.

oh ok, I sometimes buy bean salad made up in a takeaway container and eat that. I just like carrots as I can munch on those and gain zero weight. I don't know who complained but I know it wasn't anyone who sits really close to me, as those guys would have just told me straight out.

@OzSurfer oh ok, I sometimes buy bean salad made up in a takeaway container and eat that. I just like carrots as I can munch...

They should be congratulating a healthy practice instead of complaining. Good luck with that bunch ill smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred They should be congratulating a healthy practice instead of complaining. Good luck with that bunch

My thoughts exactly. My building employs about 800 and the vast majority have obesity issues with some to the point of walking frames. Their is a sign on the notice board offering advice for lap band surgery. Sometimes when I get into the lift to leave, the lift's overload alarm will sound and i find that stressful. The problem is that people sit continuously for 8 hours a day and walking around is considered unproductive. Then everyone brings in cakes and chocolates and chips, yet people are burning up very few calories. I drink water and eat vegetables because anything more would be a problem.

@OzSurfer My thoughts exactly. My building employs about 800 and the vast majority have obesity issues with some to the...

OH BOY I have worked in places like tat, isn't it also unproductive to waste time eating cakes:?) Sounds like you will need to get some kind of group effort to improve the work environment there, start writing down sick days fatties take over thin people. If I am guessing right the fats are out sick much more often, take more smoke trips and generally just waste company resources Once you get some good data, you could suggest HR set up a walking and exercise program every day, like 5 extra mins for lunch if you walk the assigned course. Just a thought, I really hate fat lifestyles cultures. My favorite job was one that was next door to a gym, I could walk away the calories I intended to have for lunch every day. Can't do it now as I don't live near any safe place to walk at all. One reason I am looking for an in town home, where I have sidewalks and room for a treadmill. .

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred OH BOY I have worked in places like tat, isn't it also unproductive to waste time eating cakes:?) Sounds like...

I hear what you're saying and the cost to the organisation due to sick days is huge. I work on a casual basis so I don't get paid for sick days, so I have to look after my health or I can't pay the rent. The problem is though, that literally everyone at work has weight issues especially management so as any kind of change would have to come from them, they would also have to want to embrace that change so I think they are part of the reason that the unhealthy work culture continues. You are also right, many take extended smoke breaks outside and this has an effect on productivity too. I remember when I first started my working career the company had it's own fitness centre and sold healthy food choices. Also every wednesday afternoon could be spent exercising if you wanted to and be paid for it. Nothing like that exists now. I'm not saying it's an organisations responsibility but i think there needs to be a cultural change coming from management and employees together.

@OzSurfer I hear what you're saying and the cost to the organisation due to sick days is huge. I work on a casual basis so I...

Humm catch 22, I often wonder why on earth a fat smoker would be hired for any jobs, when I was in charge of hiring people, I always picked healthy clean smelling people first. My nose picks up every smell around a person from yards away, a smoker nope,
look fat, no. So many people want to work no need to hire the lazy ones. You must get a bit sick of seeing that at work every day? Hope it gets better for you soon. pce smilie

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I could just cook my carrots, right? +1Reply
@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Humm catch 22, I often wonder why on earth a fat smoker would be hired for any jobs, when I was in charge of...

Thanks! I usually sit on my own and keep to myself. I do my job and avoid drama's and not worry about what others do or don't do. It has been working well for the past 3 years until the carrot incident lol

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred AH well only 3 years maybe time to move on to something better?

I think so, it's been an interesting break but not what I'm trained for. Just finding good jobs these days, especially at my age is really difficult, there's just so many applicants for every job and no prizes for second.

@OzSurfer I think so, it's been an interesting break but not what I'm trained for. Just finding good jobs these days...

OH I know that can be a problem. I hope it all works out well for you either way, I always think of oz surfer as a younger person who can surf. zip smiliepce smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred OH I know that can be a problem. I hope it all works out well for you either way, I always think of oz surfer as a...

I guess I'm not that old in the scheme of things, but i discovered that the job market gets more difficult once you get past 40. I know of at least one large company in town that has a policy of not hiring over 40's... not even if they can surf eek smilie They can only do this because there's an abundance of younger people looking for work.

@OzSurfer I guess I'm not that old in the scheme of things, but i discovered that the job market gets more difficult once you...

Oh well, they will wish they had you just as soon as the kid is hired and does what they usually do - nothing. Isn't there a law against age discrimination?

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Oh well, they will wish they had you just as soon as the kid is hired and does what they usually do - nothing...

Yes you are right and there is law against age discrimination, but anyone can not hire someone due to their age if they want. They just say there was someone better suited to the job or, you're over qualified etc .. any number of excuses.

The world has gone mad.Image in content

ThePrinceofWaless avatar ThePrinceofWales Carrots have feelings too +11Reply

How ridiculous. That manager should have counseled the person who complained, they have a serious problem.

@StarzAbove How ridiculous. That manager should have counseled the person who complained, they have a serious problem.

That's what I would have thought was logical but over time, the anti harassment rules have gone so far that now these are the rules the manager had to follow as it's a huge organisation. But he was as embarrassed about it as I was lol

@StarzAbove That's pretty silly, in my opinion.

I agree, it's like it's gone from one extreme to the other. 20 years ago there were really no work place laws and people had to deal with smoking in the offices and sort out bullying etc themselves. So it's gone from that extreme to everyone walking around on eggshells.

One of my colleagues recently got spoken to over a conversation she was having about a food allergy with another colleague. Another person over heard this and took offense that she was skinny and talking about food which made her feel bad because she was over weight and trying not to think about food at all and this person had reminded her of it. This really happened and my colleague was spoken to by her manager for nearly an hour about appropriate work place discussions.

I think I need to work for a real company again lol

@OzSurfer I agree, it's like it's gone from one extreme to the other. 20 years ago there were really no work place laws and...

Wow, people are just over reacting about things that aren't important at all. Thin skinned. They need to worry about what's really important, and it's not about eating carrots. lol

@2716273

You are right! ... the manager is a really great guy but the organisation has about 25,000 employees so he has very strict rules he has to follow. It's the people that make the rules that I think are crazy.

@2716462

maniac smiliemaniac smiliemaniac smilie that is so funny but so true!!!

@2716318

Yes, you would go completely crazy in my work environment... the carrot issue is just one of many eek smilie

Meat FTW!!! Or you could cut the carrot in little slices and then you don't have to bite into it.

Now, seriously, I don't know if I should laugh or say I'm sorry for how much assholery people can show for such basic things. Did that person even bothered to speak with you first, at least?

Btw, congratulations on your first post. Wasn't expecting a carrot to be the catalyst though hehe smilie

Sofias avatar Sofia If I ate meat none of this would have happened +8Reply
@Sofia Meat FTW!!! Or you could cut the carrot in little slices and then you don't have to bite into it. Now, seriously...

Actually yes, little pieces could work, great idea! And no they didn’t speak with me at all, and they don’t even sit that close as the ones that do would have told me to chew quietly lol. Thanks! It took a carrot to motivate me to post hehe smilie

Sofias avatar Sofia If I ate meat none of this would have happened +5Reply
@Sofia That's just petty Whatever it was, good to see it

Thanks! I expect my future posts to progress a lot from this one.. to maybe celery or even tomato's hehe smilie

@2716261

Haha! this is so funny! was that a sandwich toaster he had going :)) lol he even choked on the carrot!! I like the nice polite way the girl with the dark hair asked him to eat quietly, see someone could have told me that. I need to try all this at work and see what happens... probably jail I'd expect hehe smilie

@2716383

Actually great point. Also, it's not like I even eat carrots all day, it's literally one small carrot that takes about 2 minutes at most to eat.. that's all. Also, the majority of people listen to music on iPods etc to block out the sounds around them, so it makes even less sense. Sounds petty to me, but I would be the skinniest person in the office and have been told to go eat a sandwich more than once by people who should eat a few less.

Yes, it's the Government! lol... and it makes me wonder how they function sometimes when I see how the internal systems work.

I'd rather hear the crunching of a carrot being eaten for 3 minutes than smell what some people eat for the entire day.

@JustJimColo I'd rather hear the crunching of a carrot being eaten for 3 minutes than smell what some people eat for the entire day.

I agree! Most people I work with have serious health and weight issues from sitting all day, eating bad food and doing no exercise. A few even use walking frames and are younger than me. I think carrot eating should be mandatory :)

@2716326

I know just what you mean. I actually like the rule we have of no hot meals at the desk because some people were bringing in heated up curry or sardines etc and stinking out the whole office. Carrot crunching seems a bit extreme but apparently someone can complain about pretty much anything at work now and it will be followed up.

150 cubicals??? Holy schnickies!! I bet you know who complained. Might be time to bring in some Limburger cheese and put some in the douchenozzle's desk. :) Image in content

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor Some people are way to sensitive +8Reply
@Will_Janitor 150 cubicals??? Holy schnickies!! I bet you know who complained. Might be time to bring in some Limburger cheese...

Actually I don't exactly know but i have narrowed it down to about four. Those who sit closet to me are fine and would have told me. I miss the days of my own office though. Haha yes, I was thinking of bringing in a toaster over, but I'd probably get jailed for that :)

Carrots seriously? What's the punishment for eating a sandwich? Public flogging?

@2716216

Yes I did!! it's my first ever AM post... and everything I wrote above is completely true and accurate. It really is that crazy eek smilie

@2716219

Thanks! ... i think I must be part wabbit :)

@2716216

OH really--My grandmother used to say that one but it was her's to the girl with the bright red shoes she likes her liquor she likes her booze she lost her cherry but that's no sin cause she still has the box it came in. She would sing that and do a 5 ft 80 yr old lady jig.much the same as her polka dancing at weddings. .. Loved my grandmother, she was so funny.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I could just cook my carrots, right? 0Reply

Switch to twinkles, much quieter, and yummy to boot!

@Flrdsgns Switch to twinkles, much quieter, and yummy to boot!

Thanks, we don't have them here but they look yummy :)

Boy, would I ever be in trouble in your situation. Carrots are a problem? Then I would crunch on an apple and then I would start on the celery and every other crunchy, healthy food I could think of until they just gave up.
That is ridiculous. You should get a discount on your health policy for being so healthy.

@ozzyboy Boy, would I ever be in trouble in your situation. Carrots are a problem? Then I would crunch on an apple and then...

Haha I know, I would normally do just what you would like to do, but I'm a casual employee and could easily lose my job overnight so I've learned how to mostly stay off anyone's radar but it seems my carrot and celery eating have put me on someones. If I get sick I get no sick pay so I have to stay as healthy as possible. My private health insurance is very basic. I would pay more if I smoke or have serious health issues so at around $70 per month it's pretty good I think.

@OzSurfer Haha I know, I would normally do just what you would like to do, but I'm a casual employee and could easily lose my...

$70 a month is about right for healthy people. Why don't you have to pay for all the unhealthy ones like we do here?

@ozzyboy $70 a month is about right for healthy people. Why don't you have to pay for all the unhealthy ones like we do here?

I'm not really sure how our system is different. I guess we must pay for a lot of them to a certain extent, but we do get some discounts for certain obvious self inflicted activities like smoking but lack of obesity won't earn you a discount which I think it should although maybe it would be difficult to enforce? People would just argue they were naturally curvy. I know we pay more if we have any pre-existing conditions.

@2716302

Good point. Well there are definitely rules about eating at the desk. We can eat anything that isn't hot or messy. So definitely no fried food, like chips etc or bowls of soup etc just cold snacks. The problem is that most people eat chips and chocolate and sitting all day with no movement, the snacks that most eat just pile on the weight. So I've been trying to avoid that, but obviously carrots aren't a popular alternative. I might have to try berries.

I don't get why the manager had a bug up his butt about the deal - any clue why he did?

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne Some people are way to sensitive +5Reply
@PartyOfOne I don't get why the manager had a bug up his butt about the deal - any clue why he did?

The manager was really good about it, he's a great guy and very embarrased that he had to say anything, but it's a really huge government department and he has to follow very strict rules with no flexibility on almost anything reported to him. That was part of the reason I made the post, I was interested to see how that kind of huge system appeared to others. It sure took me by surprise and I thought I was used to it.

@OzSurfer The manager was really good about it, he's a great guy and very embarrased that he had to say anything, but it's a...

Okay, then I'll spare his life, this time, but only 'cause you're a great guy and you like him (hopefully not in a prison kinda way, lol)

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne Some people are way to sensitive +4Reply
@PartyOfOne Okay, then I'll spare his life, this time, but only 'cause you're a great guy and you like him (hopefully...

hehe smilie no although he does kinda look like the guy you'd share a cell with called Buba eek smilie but he's very friendly for a team leader where I work. Most are mean and crazy. Actually they remind me of The Peter Principle lol I'm guessing you've heard of that? :)

@OzSurfer no although he does kinda look like the guy you'd share a cell with called Buba but he's very friendly...

Thankfully Google gives me a leg up on the issue or you'd readily know my IQ is in the single digits :) I'm guessing the other team leaders have finally reached their level of incompetency? lol... something I've excelled at more then once :)

@PartyOfOne Thankfully Google gives me a leg up on the issue or you'd readily know my IQ is in the single digits :) I'm...

haha yes, the team leaders have reached their level of incompetency and that's where they stay. I know, I have been in jobs where I have reached that level too but now I try and avoid promotions where I feel that will happen :)

@OzSurfer haha yes, the team leaders have reached their level of incompetency and that's where they stay. I know, I have...

It's honestly been good fun getting some time with you, Dallas... an excellent post, by the way :D

@2716667

Wow that's crazy, unless they were like eating it all day or something. The strange thing in my situation is that people around me munch on potato chips all day and all you can hear is the crunch but nobody complains. People would be better off ditching the chips for carrots or celery.

@2716324

No actually it was a she, the majority of my work colleagues are female. Actually if she was Scottish she probably wouldn't have reported me, she would have come over and slapped me lol I like people who are direct :)

Strange, but why would they tolerate chips instead? Isn't it eventually for a commercial reason, like selling the chips to their employees from their own dispensers?

@Marianne Strange, but why would they tolerate chips instead? Isn't it eventually for a commercial reason, like selling the...

That is a great question and the only thing I can come up with is that most people eat chips so it would be likely that if someone complained about them, that they themselves would also be told to stop eating them. It's crazy that a working environment has become so overly sensitive to this extent.

@OzSurfer That is a great question and the only thing I can come up with is that most people eat chips so it would be likely...

Indeed, most companies have these food and beverage vending machines, and I suppose that they get some advantages from that. But these automats have rarely healthy food products and drinks.

And these industrial products are addicting.

By the way, salty products, like chips, make people thirsty.

@Marianne Indeed, most companies have these food and beverage vending machines, and I suppose that they get some advantages...

I agree with all those points. I think it's the same thing as my work. A few years ago they had a cafeteria that had healthy food choices, now they have replaced that with vending machines on every floor that only sell, chips, chocolates and soda drinks. Many people are so over weight that they have mobility issues just walking around at work, with some even using walking frames.

@OzSurfer I agree with all those points. I think it's the same thing as my work. A few years ago they had a cafeteria that...

Yes, OzSurfer, that is how big business works - with consumerism, i.e. creating additional needs and demand, with multiple addictive products or drugs.

@Marianne Yes, OzSurfer, that is how big business works - with consumerism, i.e. creating additional needs and demand, with...

It seems to be two big businesses working together at the expense of the consumer. So there's the huge food industry telling ust to eat more processed carbohydrates and that everything is good for you. Then you have the weight loss industry making just as much money with ways to lose the weight that the food industry puts on us. In the middle is the poor consumer who gets caught in the cycle of both. The only way out is to ignore both but that is extremely difficult and if you opt out you eventually get told your diet is unhealthy and you get skinny shamed. So even other consumers that are caught up in it try and convince you to stay and it's costing taxpayers billions in unnecessary medical costs.

1 - Congrats on your first post! I enjoyed it, and I hope you do more posts, not necessarily about the dingbats in your office, but it is kind of fun to hear about others having to work with assholes.

2 - I would put out a hit on the asshole that made a stink over your munching carrots in the office. The person is obviously suffering and living a miserable life. He'd be better off just put him out of his misery.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Some people are way to sensitive 0Reply
@Budwick 1 - Congrats on your first post! I enjoyed it, and I hope you do more posts, not necessarily about the dingbats...

Thanks Bud, I appreciate your encouragement! Yes I do have other things worth posting about people might find interesting. What I found most interesting with my work incident is the contrast between how some work places are today compared to 20 years ago, like they have gone from one extreme to the other.

Haha i agree with the hit :) Actually I believe the person who complained is one of many who are very stressed due to health issues largely from lack of exercise and poor dietary choices. What they should be doing is swapping their buttered bagels for one of my carrots rather than complain about them. I might have to hold, "Annual carrot day" at work, and get everyone eating them :)

@Sunny_the_skeptic Yeah come to think of it, never have seen Oz ever post a post :D

It's my first post on AM in 2 years, and first post since I was on sodahead which was about 12 years ago. I'm a bit slow I know.

Well, MY clue was when he said, "it's my first ever AM post... and everything I wrote above is completely true and accurate."