Do you feel you have enough savoir-fair to easily fit-in at a high society gathering?

PartyOfOnes avatar
13 74
@2721726

Thanks for taking time for this... Always grateful to have your input ;)

Snootiness just pisses me off. Unless something important is at stake that I care about I would probably make a scene and be asked to leave. :)

@Will_Janitor Snootiness just pisses me off. Unless something important is at stake that I care about I would probably make a...

I've been to only one such event where I knew of just one person in the crowd. The people were cordial, warm in our conversations - no one was rude though I still felt out of my league - it's for that reason only that I promised myself not to go to another similar gathering.

Probably not. If nothing else I would be betrayed by my clothes and my language.

@PhilboydStudge Probably not. If nothing else I would be betrayed by my clothes and my language.

Well, yes, that can happen, even at posh stores, well-visited stage productions, and so on - the people not even attempting to hide their scrutiny - I've been a victim of it only once... it's a shitty feeling.

Phil, thanks for taking part in my question - I'm grateful you've given the time ;D

@2721763

There's a mental image I hope to lose fast, LOL. Well, yeah, you'd be able to say it but of the very few really wealthy people I've known, none of them were snobbish nor dismissive. I think the movies and TV shows overplay the part of the rich butt nugget mentality.

Thanks for giving your time to the question - as always, it's appreciated ;D

@2721935

Lol :D

I'm not sure I could with just any group... I might've been lucky meeting the bunch I've come to know :)

Best of the day to you ;)

@2721778

Mmm, I don't know as though that'd turn some away. Of those I've met, a few have a fairly thick crust and a down-to-Earth attitude. It just might be you could get them talking once you relaxed.

@2721778

You don't seem yourself Tiff. Maybe I said something mean a time or 2 over politics but I don't want anything bad for you.
I like you even if you don't like me. Chin up.

@2721798

It might be that some are snooty, aggravating, even, though I've known a few well-to-do folks who've been very down to Earth, friendly and helpful :) As with us, we have all kinds about us, too :)

Thanks for taking part in the post, I very much appreciate it.

@2721825

No truer words were ever spoken ;)

Not really. I've managed fairly well though, the few times I've agreed to attend a gathering of that description.

@Piper2 Not really. I've managed fairly well though, the few times I've agreed to attend a gathering of that description.

I've no doubt that you've managed impressively at each event - you do, here, and this is a much tougher crowd :D

Piper, thanks for your good company and the welcome comment you've shared ;)

Good God, I hope not!

@Budwick Good God, I hope not!

A fate worse than death, huh? lol

@PartyOfOne A fate worse than death, huh? lol

Maybe it's the moniker of 'high society'.
I am way too real for that. I would make their heads explode or they mine.

@Budwick Maybe it's the moniker of 'high society'. I am way too real for that. I would make their heads explode or they mine.

"High society" wasn't fully the best phrase I could've used. The people I was with were truly down-to-earth, genuinely decent, fun, funny, and friendly, except for one who had too much of something. As with any gathering, you'll meet some who suck and others who're honestly decent :)

Thanks for coming back to the post. I appreciate your input ;)

I would get by, but I would be miserable. I don't like pretentious people....or formal parties.

@2721862

haha I worked with a bunch of snobs and there was always a formal Christmas Party at a Country Club. It was a "have to be there" event, and most of my group dreaded going.....

@2721875

Nope, they are always trying to impress one another. lol

Well....i don't do really well with gatherings of any kind. But over the years I have mingled with all kinds of people in all levels of society. I fit in alright. People are people.

@Carla Well....i don't do really well with gatherings of any kind. But over the years I have mingled with all kinds of...

The group I've mingled with (mostly short-term) are certainly rich though very down-to-earth and genuinely friendly; I was lucky to have had that experience rather than the type others on this post are pointing out ;) As you've mentioned out: people are people - it's a coin toss :D

@PartyOfOne The group I've mingled with (mostly short-term) are certainly rich though very down-to-earth and genuinely...

People who are comfortable in their skin generally don't feel the need to look down their noses.

@2721945

I bet you hold your own in most societal environments.

@2721945

I regret using the phrase "high society" - that sends the unintended message they're elitists. Certainly the people I've met and mingled with are quite rich but hardly those personalities who'd look down on others unjustly. Of the one's I've met, they feel as you where you wouldn't want to act nor feel counter to how you genuinely are, inside and out... they want that same fairness - at least that group has. Honestly, with those specific people, you'd very definitely fit right in.

@2721821

Thanks for putting it out there, John - I'm glad you took the time for this :D

Working in the entertainment industry, I've been to my share of these parties. I've always found the majority of the people to be friendly. at least to your face.

@Flrdsgns Working in the entertainment industry, I've been to my share of these parties. I've always found the majority of...

I had found the same. Even when I'v been with two of those at other non-occasion times, they were relaxed around me and I with them... making me laugh, making me think.

Thanks for sharing that refreshing perspective :D

We can handle it but try to avoid all gatherings where we will be subject to high society.

@ozzyboy We can handle it but try to avoid all gatherings where we will be subject to high society.

I regret using that term - it comes off as elitist and I didn't mean to paint that picture. Certainly the people I've known are rich but they're anything but snobs, or gossiping butt nuggets.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this - thanks :)

@PartyOfOne I regret using that term - it comes off as elitist and I didn't mean to paint that picture. Certainly the...

I have had very wealthy and very poor friends. The ones who worked their way to wealth were great fun to be around. Those who had everything handed to them were are different story.
Don't apologize for your wording, we know what you meant.

@2722159

Sorry I'm this late getting back to you :( My days have been demanding. Well, on the issue :)...

In my 20s I might have felt more comfy, more quickly, but they included me, not the opposite, which made me feel less nervous... if not for that, I would've felt out of place, being my first time with them. A small group of close friends included me within their circle for the rest of the day and evening - I never felt more genuinely accepted as I had with them.

Strange how we might believe somethings would fail though they turn out to be just the opposite.

Now, I'm wondering if they're more the ones wishing they were in our shoes, hmm.

Rose, thanks very much for taking time with this - I'm honestly glad you included your take on the issue :)

@2722936

Snooty Fuckers. Who wants to be around arrogant, snooty pissants?

@2723861

Yeah, the people are a bunch of braindead TV zombies for sure. You're preachin to the choir. I've held that opinion for as long as I can remember.

@2722936

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it ;)

Absolutely! I will play this beautiful piece for them on various percussion instruments: YouTube video thumbnail

I feel that I'm just as good as anyone else. It's up to them to decide whether or not I "fit in." If they don't like me they can fuck themselves. If they let me know that they don't like me to my face, that's when they'll really know it.

I'm very adaptable

@Newfound I'm very adaptable

Some of the people I had met at the event kiddingly told me they'd take me under their wing to train as it was my first formal event I attended :D The people were genuinely nice, down-to-Earth - no one seemed in the least phony.

Thanks for posting your comment, it's appreciated :)

@2723139

With rare exception, same here - usually then it's a family and extended family thing, once a year :)

Thanks for giving your take on the issue, Bub :)

@2723168

Generally, I'm a homebody, or close to it, and hate long distance driving so my contact with any group or event is rare - from my mid-twenties I've maintained that narrow comfort zone.

Thanks for your nice compliment - I appreciate your saying so :D

I have enough of a combination of random knowledge and a flair for speaking in a grandiose manner that entices others to listen to stories; but I do make a point of stating that I am no better or worse than anyone else in this life.