What was the best job offer you've had and accepted?

Image for post What was the best job offer you've had and accepted?
PartyOfOnes avatar Jobs & Employment
10 25

My first job out of high school, working for a large corporation in their Personnel Department. Great job, fun and interesting, met a lot of people coming in for jobs.

@2723011

Always good to hear, young sir ;)

Thanks for sharing a minute or two - always glad to have you ;)

@2722981

I've often wondered who the "1 percent" are... now I know at least one lol. Always nice to find good people having good fortune ;D

Thanks for taking a bit of time to share your comment - it's always looked forward to and appreciated ;)

When I had just started my final year of Uni doing software development, the IT manager of the University needed to recruit two new techs and asked the top 5 for expressions of interest, and I got a great job in Networking Infrastructure which wasn't what I had trained in. I was so lucky, it doesn't work like that these days.

@OzSurfer When I had just started my final year of Uni doing software development, the IT manager of the University needed to...

I'm very glad you had that bit of luck with the timing :) So many of our college/uni students pour tens of thousands of dollars into their education only to find the job market completely lacking options. Many graduates are having to look for work out of state, or take whatever they can within state that isn't at all in their field of study.

Are you still with the same company, or at least doing the same type of work?

@PartyOfOne I'm very glad you had that bit of luck with the timing :) So many of our college/uni students pour tens of...

Yes you are right about that, I think that's how the job market is now. My niece finished a degree with honours in Microbiology, she got one of the highest marks yet is working in a supermarket check out because that's all she can get at the moment.

No i was with them for 13 years but they had a change of management and decided to outsource IT so I was made redundant. Suddenly I found it extremely difficult to get the same kind of work. I applied for 122 jobs just to get the one I have now, and it's with a Federal Government department and is only part time, but I'm very lucky to have that. It's also not in IT hardware it's in finance and processes.

I feel sorry for young people coming out of Uni now, there just isn't the jobs available like their once was.

A machinist. It was amazing to see raw material come in and mechanical devices go out.

I still have my 1-2-3 block.

@Azlotto A machinist. It was amazing to see raw material come in and mechanical devices go out. I still have my 1-2-3 block.

I had to look up the 1-2-3 block on Google and recognized it from our machine shop at a paper mill I worked at - they look expensive :) I take it that you're no longer working at the shop (?)

@2723604

John, thanks for helping me with this post, I appreciate it and all the others you've taken part in.

I have a vague memory of you mentioning something similar on another post that came close to this issue. I remember you liking what you worked at with that as well. :)

Best wishes with the rest of your weekend.

When ESPN was just getting started, they had their trucks built in California. They hired me to drive them first to Delaware to register them, then to Connecticut to deliver them. After I delivered the 3rd truck, they offered men a job as their number one driver. I laughed, and told them no one would be interested in watching college sports on TV. Boy, was I ever wrong on that one confused smilie

@Flrdsgns When ESPN was just getting started, they had their trucks built in California. They hired me to drive them first...

I can understand the doubt - college sports wouldn't seem to have the draw from my point of view, either... oh, well :)

Thanks for taking some time out to post your comment - nice of you to give your input ;)

My first job after the Army was at a gas pump - yee hah. The training the service gave me led to nothing much in civilian jobs.

Twenty-two months will go fast. Any exotic plans after that?

@2725841

That sounds nice, honestly it does. I may copy your plan come Fall 😊

Best wishes with the rest of your evening, Will. Take good care.

Anonymous