+8

People tend to choose a God that hates what they hate. I choose not to hate.

Image for post People tend to choose a God that hates what they hate.  I choose not to hate.
VicZincs avatar Religion
6 57

I don't hate anyone, but there are a few I detest.

@Thinkerbell Pssst... (T-r-u-m-p)

Thanks, I don't hate the man, I hate what he's doing to our country and the way he disrespects women.

@StarzAbove Thanks, I don't hate the man, I hate what he's doing to our country and the way he disrespects women.

Yes, but up above you said there were a few people you detest; I thought maybe (T-r-u-m-p) was one of them. hehe smilie

@2723093

What?!

After all those babes showed up to your party? omg smilie

What God loves and hates is fairly consistent throughout "right hand path" religions.

God loves fairness and hates injustice.
God loves mercy and hates cruelty.
God loves truth and hates lies.
God loves wisdom & knowledge and hates ignorance.
God loves healthy, constructive behavior and hates unhealthy, destructive behavior.

You could say I chose my God because He hates what I hate, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

@Maze What God loves and hates is fairly consistent throughout "right hand path" religions. God loves fairness and hates...

Not to get into a huge debate here. But for example, the God of the old testament tried to keep humans from the tree of knowledge, so 4th point is debatable.
The story of Job brings your 1st into question. His use of fire and brimstone raises questions about #2.
Also not sure why you disagree but then in your comment you agree?

@VicZinc Not to get into a huge debate here. But for example, the God of the old testament tried to keep humans from the...

Adam and Eve lived in paradise, without the knowledge of pain and death, good or evil. But, against the advice of God, they chose to know good and evil, and one cannot truly know something without experiencing it, so they could no longer live in paradise.

The story of Job has a happy ending. Ultimately it's a parable about not letting adversity shake your faith.

I disagreed because there are things I choose to hate. Refer to my OP for a shortlist.

@Maze Adam and Eve lived in paradise, without the knowledge of pain and death, good or evil. But, against the advice of...

So God advised them "against" knowledge yet your list claims he loves knowledge and hates ignorance.

Just saying.

@VicZinc So God advised them "against" knowledge yet your list claims he loves knowledge and hates ignorance. Just saying.

God knew that eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil would mean they would have to experience pain and death, and God did not want that for them.

Now that we live in the world of good and evil, knowledge and wisdom are necessary to do what is good and avoid the pitfalls of evil.

@Maze God knew that eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil would mean they would have to experience pain and...

Not to belabor the issue, but it seems to me that you are right in your last comments here and that it still brings into question your assertion that 'god loves knowledge', when he clearly tried to keep knowledge from his creation, regardless of his loving reason for doing so.

He did not 'love' knowledge, he sought to keep it to himself - with good reason! but still.

@VicZinc Not to belabor the issue, but it seems to me that you are right in your last comments here and that it...

I don't claim to know the mind of God, I was just explaining my understanding of that story.

Clearly, in this world, knowledge is power, and wisdom is necessary to use power responsibly. The value of those things is obvious to me, I can only assume it's obvious to you too.

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep among wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves." -Jesus

"Not to belabor the issue" -
That ship has sailed Vic.
It's crystal clear once again you simply want to fight with Christians.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick "Not to belabor the issue" - That ship has sailed Vic. It's crystal clear once again you simply want to fight with...

No one on this whole thread has mentioned Christians besides you. Maze quoted Jesus and I agreed with him. As we have discussed multiple times, I follow Jesus and support almost everything he said.

@Budwick Who were you intending to insult then?

I wasn't intending to insult anyone. How is this post insulting?

@VicZinc I wasn't intending to insult anyone. How is this post insulting?

Telling people they hate is insulting.
You are insulting!

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc I am sorry.

Why don't I believe you?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick Why don't I believe you?

Because I am untrustworthy. But I do feel bad that I offended you, it was not my intent.

@VicZinc Because I am untrustworthy. But I do feel bad that I offended you, it was not my intent.

You know Vic, your apologies are hollow.
You offer them all the time, and then continue your offensive behavior.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree +1Reply

So, now you think you're better than God?
Those britches are getting really big there Vic!

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree +3Reply
@Budwick So, now you think you're better than God? Those britches are getting really big there Vic!

I don't believe there is a god, so in a sense 'I am better than nothing.'

@VicZinc I don't believe there is a god, so in a sense 'I am better than nothing.'

Interesting. But, you somehow 'know' how people 'choose a god'?

How is it that came to choose nothing?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply

atheists hate a lot. I have been verbally and emotionally abused by many of them throughout my life. Granted, you, as an individual might be fine. You probably are. But, please,please don't act like atheists are above hatred,pettiness,etc. They aren't. In regards to "choosing a God that hates what they hate".... I did the opposite. I found and follow a God of love,tolerance,acceptance. Do people use God to cover or justify hate, of course. It sucks because it makes others distrust and hate them instantly,thinking they are all the same.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +3Reply

It's almost comical the way some people spend so much time trying to convince people to stop believing in God because they think it's stupid. Meanwhile, they want you to believe in what they believe.

I don't Choose a god I Decide for myself not based on presets. Why do we need belief structures are we that clueless that we need other people to constantly tell us step by step everything we have to do?

There is only one God in my opinion, in that I believe and always have and always will.

People tend to "choose" a god, based on what their parents believe.

People don't get to choose between Gods. God is a word that can't be properly used in its plural form.

@2723154

All created by humans to help them control other humans.

It's been almost a month since this was originally posted. And since 'the post is of such great value' it's made the front page.

Almost a month without some atheist poking at God. I guess unlike being gay or black or a trans sexual - I belong to a group called Christianity and it's perfectly OK to phuck with Christians. Not that anyone should feed Christians to the lions or anything - I mean PITA would surely be all over that.

But, if I were to phuck with any of those groups mentioned above - I would be risking my membership here. So, my question is, why is that?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick It's been almost a month since this was originally posted. And since 'the post is of such great value' it's made...

What makes you think this post has anything to do with Christianity?

It is a simple statement with which you can agree or disagree. It does not single out any one group of people except maybe atheists.

In fact there is no mention of Christ at all until you brought it up.

@VicZinc What makes you think this post has anything to do with Christianity? It is a simple statement with which you can...

So, you intended to insult everyone that believes in God.
That's supposed to be better? You suck!

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc How is that an insult? Does your God hate something?

How is it not?
Perhaps YOU should have a conversation with God Vic. And see how he's feeling about you!
I don't pretend to know the mind of God - but I sure as shit wouldn't test His patience as you do!

I know, you don't know His phone number or some other clever dodge.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick How is it not? Perhaps YOU should have a conversation with God Vic. And see how he's feeling about you! I don't...

Bud, I apologize that I insulted you. It was not my intent. And even though I am not clear as to how this is an insult, it clearly has you upset and I am sorry.

@VicZinc Bud, I apologize that I insulted you. It was not my intent. And even though I am not clear as to how this is an...

Since the nature of your offense seems to escape you, let me offer a little advice.

Don't make fun of, belittle people's religious beliefs. The beliefs of others are not your purview.

By all means if you have honest questions - ask! I think anyone of any faith would welcome honest inquiry. But asking 'innocent questions' with your intent to entrap, belittle, defame, etc is not good human behavior.