How Many Fingers Does Obama Have?

Former President and First Lady Barack and Michelle Obama unveiled their official portraits at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery Monday morning, and the internet properly freaked out.

There are mixed reactions online. The art community has begun leveling some scathing critiques of the works. One of them has to do with the way Obama’s left hand is painted. Some have claimed that the former President’s hand was painted with six fingers.

Both paintings were completed by unique, highly stylized artists. Obama chose Kehinde Wiley as his painter. Wiley’s style is described as flamboyant and regal. Michelle chose Baltimore artist Amy Sherald, who is known for a painting style which often nods to social justice.

Image for post How Many Fingers Does Obama Have?
23% Oops, artist made a mistake 36% Will they ever just leave President Obama alone? 14% At least there's no green scaled skin showing 27% Other
Budwicks avatar People & Celebrities
4 24
@2724398

No Rose, if you look more carefully, it appears that there is an extra pinky finger

I thought it was just like a flap of skin, but now that you've pointed it out.. it does look like there might be a little alien finger under there. smile smilie

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge At least there's no green scaled skin showing +1Reply

Way to stick to the important issues

@VicZinc Way to stick to the important issues

Uncle Vic, important issues mainly cover... Well... I have been told, that John has left the site just after I unblocked him. Why on Venus would he want do to that, again...

Are you lingering towards my opinion, that most, if not all, US presidents after Reagan have been Reptilian humanoids? It's still a slipperly slope with Ronald, since they have been at the game for such a long time.

The hand does look a little odd. The artist doesn't seem to be one of those, whose intent is picture like realism in his portraits.

Here's a close up of the hand in question.

@2724423

His thumb would be on the other side of his hand.

@2724522

You know how they say a picture can say 1,000 words?

Yours only says two!

Lol

Lookimhonests avatar Lookimhonest Oops, artist made a mistake 0Reply

I agree, it does look like an extra finger. Honestly, this portrait is just bizarre. So who knows what message the artist, and I use that term loosely, was trying to project.

One of the ugliest paintings I've ever seen, made absolutely hideous by painting that guy on it.

@JerryHendrickson One of the ugliest paintings I've ever seen, made absolutely hideous by painting that guy on it.

I'm sure it will, ... stand out with other portraits hung in the White House. Maybe that was the intent!

@Budwick I'm sure it will, ... stand out with other portraits hung in the White House. Maybe that was the intent!

I believe there will be a different set of portraits of them, to eventually be hung in the White House. Their portraits would obviously "stand out" anyway, at least for now..

Anonymous