Another shooting at a school. Will there ever be a way to protect the children?

Watching the news tonight I heard an ex student came into a school in Florida and shot at least 17 people dead. If I had kids I wouldn't want to send them to a public school.

Image for post Another  shooting at a school. Will   there ever be a way to protect  the  children?
LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar Law
12 108
@2724505

Firearms are stolen, bought, and found - you know that :) - and if not a firearm then it'd be something else. Anger goes where anger wants and the method won't really matter.

@2724505

Exactly I surmise he got it from his parents - or he is a gang guy and his gang has lots of guns. They will be able to ask him why. Let us hope he will be punished greatly.

@2724620

Right Gronk, drugs are out of control as well. It is always a male kid. It is so sad we need to control them somehow, or teach them to be non violent.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Right Gronk, drugs are out of control as well. It is always a male kid. It is so sad we need to control them...

I've never thought of the sex demographic but, yes, at least in school's mass shootings, yes - they've always been male. Hmm...

@2724620

EXACTLY. I don't see everyone up in arms to ban the drugs.

@2724505

The nightly news said he bought it legally, even after posting on YouTube about wanting to be a professional high school shooter. They said he fell through the cracks. That is NOT acceptable. How are they going to catch a terrorist when they can't even catch a high school drop out.

I haven't heard the news for a while but I'm very sorry to hear this, it's even worse when kids are involved.

There seems to be no end to angry crazies with guns.

@2725890

Gronk. I don't know what liberalism is. The people I talked about are not at all innocent, they are criminals who have no business being in this country.

There will be more shootings like this unless they enact stricter gun laws and do away with the powerful rifles. But nothing will be done, the NRA has Congress in its hip pocket.

@StarzAbove There will be more shootings like this unless they enact stricter gun laws and do away with the powerful rifles...

Seems like it. Only way is to be stronger than the NRA. I know this is something I will check before I vote. See how they act towards stronger gun controls.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Seems like it. Only way is to be stronger than the NRA. I know this is something I will check before I vote. See...

The Republicans are hiding out this morning because they don't want to make any comments about the shootings and the NRA. They need to step up to the plate, enact stricter back ground checks, halt the sale of these high powered guns. But they won't, all they will do is send their thoughts and prayers. That's not enough..... Even the president hasn't said anything or sent condolences in this matter.

@StarzAbove The Republicans are hiding out this morning because they don't want to make any comments about the shootings and...

Starz - I was listening to a documentary on PBS today. They brought up the fact this cruz kid bought his gun legalistically at 17 yrs. old. He can't buy a beer but he can buy all the guns he wants. OMG so true, Age limits wuld help a bit. I think if people want a gun they should take classes that do in depth physiological test to weed out the nuts.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Starz - I was listening to a documentary on PBS today. They brought up the fact this cruz kid bought his gun...

I think they should do away with the assault weapons. They are meant to kill a lot of people. No one will hunt animals with them, they would rip an animal to bits.

@StarzAbove I think they should do away with the assault weapons. They are meant to kill a lot of people. No one will hunt...

Only by volume. A high powered hunting rifle has a much more powerful shot. Even high powered hand guns pack a much more powerful shot. But...you cannot point and pull the trigger a hundred times before reloading. It is the magazine. That is the allure of those type of weapons. And...they are very light weight. No real kick.

@Carla Only by volume. A high powered hunting rifle has a much more powerful shot. Even high powered hand guns pack a...

I don't know much about guns, my husband has a rifle, shotgun, and hand gun. He used to hunt a lot, but not lately. But an assault rifle/magazine is designed to kill lots of people, and should never be in the hands of a civilian. As proven by Florida school shooting.

@2724527

What's the solution then?

@2724527

They shouldn't be common. NRA has got to shut up and let lawmakers take guns out of the crazy hands

Not unless this country is prepared to deal with the existing and non existing gun laws.

@2724514

What took you so long?

So what do you propose, having the kids behind their desks armed with guns,shooting everything that moved?

@2724528

So you are equating a bunch of frighten kids with trained police officers?

@2724549

"ever wonder why cop shops
DON"T get shot up?

I'll help you out

they WILL SHOOT BACK"

Your words, not mine.

@dru18 "ever wonder why cop shops DON"T get shot up? I'll help you out they WILL SHOOT BACK" Your words, not mine.

OH ya that is why police are usually welcomed at late night places or food places to deter troubles in the area.

@2724514

Even now, as I'm pretty much a dead man walking, I can take you one-on-one. Guns aren't the problem here. It's all about the attitude.

@2724514

Source please. I can find no references to Nikolas Cruz being associated with Syria/Iraq.

I see he was obsessed with guns and other weapons, and was stalking a girl at the school..

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Vic where did you hear that he was stalking?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02...-shooting.html

By the way I did find a few source quoting Trace Gallagher of FOX news as saying the Cruz 'followed' resistance groups, like Syrian Resistance groups and fighter groups out of Iraq on instagram. Doesn't look like FOX reported it, only quotes out of Australia attributed to Gallagher and repeated in right-wing media. These groups btw are aligned with US military.

@VicZinc https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02...-shooting.html By the way I did find a few source...

Thanks Vic - you are so good at digging up information. This tells me the security at that school was terrible - an expelled student should never have gotten in there at all.

@2724627

You Wrote - explain to me why millions of people still commit murder and are able to purchase heroine when both are ILLEGALto me drugs>>> What you want to buy heroin? Not all the murders are mass murders, guns cause the mass murders heroin doesn't. I mostly feel people who kill themselves with drugs are better gone.

@2725888

gronk who said anything about abortion. Go make your own post if you want to rave!

@2724547

Maybe if he didn't have a gun a bad attitude or wasn't allowed into a school he had no reason to be visiting what smilie I am glad they got him alive so he can rot in jail forever "not" I wish he would be put to death immediately, no matter what his excuse is, it isn't good enough...

Watching the killer be handled with such care and compassion from those who were handling him made me think of all the grief and pain
he caused to those kids, their families, school, communities and this nation.
The school will be put under a microscope because the warning signs were there and not addressed, but the bigger question is how did he get his hands on that gun? Where were his parents in all of this? Lots of questions.......

@2724631

"yes how and where he got his gun is what we all do want to know to prevent such a person from getting a gun"

Which is what President Obama passed in his last year and what Trump undid in his first year.

19 years old. Old enough, by federal law, to buy an ar15 but too young to buy a handgun.
Lock down drills in our schools. Kids locked into their class rooms everyday.
25 school shootings since Columbine.
It isn't Isis or Mexicans or the Taliban or al quida that are killing us dead. It is us that are killing us dead.

@Carla 19 years old. Old enough, by federal law, to buy an ar15 but too young to buy a handgun. Lock down drills in our...

-Between 2008 and 2014, 40% of all murder convictions in Florida were criminal aliens. In New York it was 34% and Arizona 17.8%.

-During those years, criminal aliens accounted for 38% of all murder convictions in the five states of California, Texas, Arizona, Florida and New York, while illegal aliens constitute only 5.6% of the total population in those states.

-That 38% represents 7,085 murders out of the total of 18,643.

Those astounding numbers were compiled by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) using official Department of Justice data on criminal aliens in the nation’s correctional system.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-jo...n-some-states/
https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-646R

During those same years, 2008 -2014, there were 104 people killed by school shooters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S..._United_States

So if you compare the numbers, foreign criminals kill about 680 times more Americans than school shooters.

@Maze -Between 2008 and 2014, 40% of all murder convictions in Florida were criminal aliens. In New York it was 34% and...

Oh...maze. It would behoove you to look deeper...
www.centersforsecuritypolicy.org/2015/12/04/problems-with-gao-illegal-alien-crime-stats/.....
Brietbart simply feeds what it's readers love to eat.

Btw...the above article is from the man whose data was used for brietbarts story.

@Carla Oh...maze. It would behoove you to look...

Bombshell Report Reveals Up To 30% Of Federal Inmates Are Illegal Immigrants

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has released its findings on the immigration status of federal prison inmates, as mandated in an Executive Order signed during President Trump's first week in the White House. The report reveals that of the 37,557 confirmed immigrants in the federal prison system, 35,334 (94%) of them are in the United States illegally - which means out of a total of 185,507, federally incarcerated individuals, over 19% are confirmed illegal immigrants - which, in 2014, cost U.S. taxpayers $1.87 billion to house.

It should be noted that the 19% figure is based on known illegals in federal prison - while 58,766 individuals are "known or suspected" to be illegal. If we apply the 94% confirmed illegal rate to the "known or suspected" population, it brings the total number of potential incarcerated illegal immigrants to 55,240 - or 30% of federal incarcerations.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/...nmates-illegal

@Maze Bombshell Report Reveals Up To 30% Of Federal Inmates Are Illegal Immigrants The Department of Homeland Security...

Maze - that is interesting. I hope they are sent back to country of origin, after being implanted with a chip that will blow them apart as soon as they cross our boarder again. Too bad for a criminal who won't learn. Ha Ha..

@2724698

Hmm, I hadn't considered the bug problem. hmm smilie

hehe smilie

I didn't bother to go through all of the chains or opinions, I had to give up... Life is too precious to be spent here. Anyways, the gist is that... Well... We have had one school shooting in Finland (5.3 million people) in the last one hundred years and let's go for USA... Yeah, we're losing and not even marginally. Some might say... We just simply take better care of our children, but that's not the case. In every civilized society, the one thing, that is more or less a defining characteristic towards the probability of violence (which has nothing to do with television, Internet or any other media) is the availability to the means. We used to be notoriously violent, but in the last three decades, it has changed a lot. Mostly because Finns have become more civilized, but also because all of the firearms must be registered and the unregistered ones were accepted "as so", without questions, up to 2011 or thereabouts.

@AliceD So if you register a gun, that makes it inoperable to a crazy person?

No anyone could steal it and use it at this point. But they are working on a gun that will work only with owners fingerprints.

Not yet but that would be a good thing much like cars that won't start unless you pass a Breathalyzer test. Let us think on how that would work - a short quiz at each use that will show if they need to be shut out?

I admit that I've had the advantage of time to learn more about this matter before commenting.

Once again, this is NOT a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue. The kid has a mental health problem history. He has a violent history. He was expelled from that school. He liked shooting animals. He WAS going to counseling, then stopped going. He WAS on medications, then stopped. The Superintendent implied that there was more information in his record that he could not share because of HIPPA laws.

Gosh, with all that recent history that we DO know - who could have seen this coming? EVERYBODY!

The kid did not belong in general population. We need to re-open asylums to deal with whack-a-doodles like this. We can't expect teachers to do all the heavy lifting AND teach healthy kids too.

Leave the 2nd Amendment alone. Healthy gun owners and their guns are NOT the problem. Crazy people forced to live in the general population and ticking time bombs.

@Budwick I admit that I've had the advantage of time to learn more about this matter before commenting. Once again, this is...

"Once again, this is NOT a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue"

It's a conservative issue, own it.

@dru18 "Once again, this is NOT a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue" It's a conservative issue, own it.

Dru, can you cite an example in which gun control, even extreme gun control has worked? You can't, because it doesn't.

Instead of fixating on finding ways for government to control us, how about we focus on looking at ideas that might actually work?

It was obvious to everyone at the school that the guy was unstable and dangerous, a likely school shooter, and yet nothing was done to prevent him from attacking besides banning him from bringing a backpack on campus. That being the case, I don't see any reason to believe school shootings will be prevented in the future. For the time being, it's a risk that youth face, like drowning or car accidents, both of which kill many times more people.

Why does this happen in the US more than other places?

Here's my take, for what it's worth. As long as violence is glorified in popular culture, some people will glorify violence, and that will lead to... violence, it's a pretty short line from A to B. Action arises from thought, and more than any other country, America's "entertainment industry" actively promotes and exports violent thoughts in the form of movies, television, music and video games. It is the epicenter of that stuff, so it's where most of the action is. People from other countries have access to it, but Americans are bathed in it.

Add to that the psychiatric profession's over reliance on antidepressant drugs which make some people homicidal (more often suicidal), and you have a kind of perfect storm of potential.

In that guy's case, it looks he had the ideation for a long time, but I'd guess it wasn't until his mother died that he stopped caring completely and could actually carry out such an act. All it took then was a reason, and I guess he found one.

Probably. I don't see it happening on my lifetime, though.

Ozzy, I didn't see them doing anything with him. I suppose police are forced to treat criminal right or they get yelled at about police brutality and all. Such a shame these fool shooters don't put the gun to themselves before anyone else.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Ozzy, I didn't see them doing anything with him. I suppose police are forced to treat criminal right or they get...

Yes, the police have to remain professional even under these
trying circumstances. They are scrutinized for their every move and if they even look wrong at these criminals they will be hung out to dry.
I have a good friend down in that area and I worry for him every day.

@2724930

Wasn't supposed to be cruz picture, just all i could find when searching for pictures. I think he did it himself,

@2725598

MG I DO AGREE . I have no kids but I see the problem often. My mom would wack our butts and say stop it. She would be in jail. Today it is kids go nuts until they get older then they end up in jail and are lost forever.

There seriously needs to be some gun regulations. Apparently the average person owns seven guns. SEVEN. That is insane. And not necessary. So fix that it could help?

@2724559

What Mona? I am no kind so no idea what you are talking about?

@2724590

Oh good, I am really so middle of the road .

People do not need guns to live on this earth.Then why do governments give licence for making guns and licence to own one by the civil society.Even military using arms is inhuman because they kill other human beings in the name of nationalism, sovereignty etc

@ezhil People do not need guns to live on this earth.Then why do governments give licence for making guns and licence to...

ezhil - Truly there is no need for guns except for military or police. Gun owners and hunters are enjoying a privilege many just do not deserve. But soldiers do need arms or we will all be under islam or something else USA will not want. Make the guns more difficult for the unstables of the population to buy or use. Maybe punish the gun owners - for crimes committed with their unprotected gun will help.

Meow - That is crazy nobody needs 7 guns .. silly, I expect they have different guns for different reasons, but that is excessive and assault rifles are just not acceptable at all.

Anonymous