Which would prevent another school shooting: All firearms banned, or staff heavily armed

Image for post Which would prevent another school shooting: All firearms banned, or staff heavily armed
23% No firearms allowed 62% Staff heavily armed 15% Other
BillDers avatar Politics
11 44

Neither. The point is preventing the attack from happening at all, not just finding a way to stop the kid after he's already in the school shooting at people. That won't solve the problem.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +8Reply
@Sofia Neither. The point is preventing the attack from happening at all, not just finding a way to stop the kid after...

The first thing that Trump did as president was sign a bill that allowed the mentally ill easier access to guns. Now he's saying this is a mental problem. Trump is the one with the mental problem, he won't make any decisions about guns because he is in bed with the NRA. And money talks, they don't care how many kids get shot. Wonder how he would feel if someone shot his son or daughter dead.

How about banning children? That should do the trick.

Doing away with assault weapons, stricter background checks, lock down schools when in session. And have the Congress stop catering to the NRA and do what they were elected to do.....serve the American people.

Neither will prevent a determined shooter.

That said, the idea of arming teachers is horrifying to me. I'm imagining my high school driver's ed teacher with a loaded firearm. (shudder)

@Chris_the_Demon Neither will prevent a determined shooter. That said, the idea of arming teachers is horrifying to me. I'm...

I agree, arming the teachers would be disastrous, some crazy kid could take the gun away from a teacher and shoot up the entire class room.

@StarzAbove I agree, arming the teachers would be disastrous, some crazy kid could take the gun away from a teacher and shoot...

Teachers are not police officers or soldiers. They are not qualified to defend a school with deadly force. (Nor should we expect them to.)

Perhaps all schools should do what many inner schools do; Total lock down at all times. Bullet proof glass. Metal detectors. Armed guards at the doors. No one gets in without a pass.

@Chris_the_Demon Teachers are not police officers or soldiers. They are not qualified to defend a school with deadly force. (Nor...

I agree. I have a young niece who is a teacher, and I doubt she has ever held a gun.

I was asked to pick up a neighbor's child (2nd grade) from school a few years back, he was sick, and his Mom couldn't get home in time. That was an elementary school, I was stopped at the door by a security guy, had to show my ID, then when I went to pick up the child, he ran to me so they let him come home with me.

But since then, they have tightened up security....I think they lock down now, which is a good thing, but like you said previously, if someone wants to kill, they will find a way. Sad that we have to worry about kids, or all of us anymore.

Even at church we have security guards that roam the church parking lot, and armed members are in the sanctuary. Our minister has had death threats...

Teachers should shoot the kids to the kidneys, regularly, so they could learn how to behave correctly.

@ZonkeyBalls Teachers should shoot the kids to the kidneys, regularly, so they could learn how to behave correctly.

I'm sure you don't mean that. Enough kids were killed in Florida, we don't need anymore deaths.

@StarzAbove I'm sure you don't mean that. Enough kids were killed in Florida, we don't need anymore deaths.

If I was/were (this conditional form always confuses me, in certain circumstances) a teacher, I would just tell people to behave. No shooting anyone, no misbehaving of any sort. Just behave.

@ZonkeyBalls If I was/were (this conditional form always confuses me, in certain circumstances) a teacher, I would just tell...

If it was only that easy. In some schools, the teachers, principals have no control over the kids. They can't punish them in any way because their parents will yell abuse and call in lawyers. They need to bring back the paddle and discipline in that way again. It was very effective. That's what they need.

I'm afraid neither is a guarantee of success. But, I do believe that the chances of an attack are reduced with armed adults on the site. They could also respond more quickly and likely save more lives.

Taking guns away from law abiding citizens only makes more soft targets. It's a stupid idea.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Staff heavily armed +4Reply
@2725203

Heavily armed with paintball guns?

Nah... Miniguns should do the trick.

I think every school should have one of these, with at least two different versions of the mounts for the modern gatling type of guns, such as the standard MG.

@Chris_the_Demon Why stop there?

There is only one God of Hellfire and since cloning Jeremy Clarkson isn't really an option...

@ZonkeyBalls There is only one God of Hellfire and since cloning Jeremy Clarkson isn't really an option...

True...

But couldn't we mass produce those flame-throwing iron suits?

After all, Trump promised to bring back manufacturing jobs. We could re-purpose all those abandoned car plants. Detroit, the "Motor City", could become the "Deadly Fire Weapons" city.

Kids should just wear riot gear as a uniform.

One big guy with an automatic weapon and a breastplate might deter another cringy fame seeking mentally disabled weirdo from doing the same

Neither one will prevent anything but I'd like to know what insane line of reasoning produced the idea that more people with guns will solve the problem.

No one is talking about forcing any teacher to carry.
We are talking about allowing school faculty who are willing and trained to be allowed to bring their weapon on campus.
If I were a teacher I would bring mine regardless of the "gun free zone" sign. It is only a misdeanor offense for a ccp holder anyway.

PennyThoughtss avatar PennyThoughts Staff heavily armed +1Reply

Only cowards use weapons to kill others.School environment should be free from any type of weapon.

@ezhil Only cowards use weapons to kill others.School environment should be free from any type of weapon.

Show me a school where mass shootings have taken place that wasn't declared a gun free zone. Schools are also labeled as Drug Free Zones. How is that working out? Show me a law that has prevented violence, shootings, drugs or any other criminal behavior. There is the world some people would like it to be and then there is the real world.

There should be "qualified", armed personnel at the schools today. I think before they have "teachers" armed, those teachers should be well trained and deemed to have the right temperament for carrying a gun. There are many people who can carry a gun, but don't have what it takes to use it in a stressful situation. I also don't want an unstable teacher to shoot a student in a fit of rage because she, or he, has lost control over their classroom. A soft target is an easy target. How often do we hear of mass shootings in a high security area?

Being a hypothetical question, the hypothetical answer would have to be all firearms banned. Although, I suppose if one were to employ a semi automatic gattling crossbow the recipient/s of the bolts would be "shot". Having a hypothetical heavily armed staff would not mitigate another school shooting. In this particular question it seems there is no clear answer.

Anonymous