Should the legal age to buy a gun be raised to 21?

I've been watching as some people are now arguing that the age to purchase a gun should be 21 because they feel people under 21 are not mature enough to own or handle a gun. If we do that, shouldn't we also raise the voting age back up to 21 since those under 21 have been deemed to be too immature? Should we also change the law prohibiting those under 21 from entering the military or hold public office due to maturity issues? I notice that nobody comes out and claims that the thousands of young men and women who were drafted or enlisted, and were killed in Viet Nam, and other wars, including the one we are in today, are too immature to be in the military.

57% Yes 33% No 10% Other
JustJimColos avatar Politics
9 36
@2727223

I agree; however we live in a time when people shy away from anyone with mental health issues; they are treated as freaks in the real world. And That will not change anytime soon...

I'm not sure raising the legal age is the answer, I think banning weapons like the AR-15 would be a better choice.

@2727214

In most states, the ammo for an AR 15, 223, is deemed too small for hunting deer. The 223 bullet size is not much larger than a 22. This is a picture comparing a 223 and a 30-06, a common hunting round for larger game. The AR 15 round is a small round and does not "tear an animal to shreds". The biggest difference between a 223 and a 22 is the larger charge behind the 223 which makes the round go faster and farther.

You've got some very interesting arguments there Jim.

Of course there are a zillion teenagers that don't own the gun they go out hunting with. Maybe it belongs to Dad or Grandpa - but Skippy doesn't have $400 or more to spend on a rifle anyway.

Sounds like another proposed do nothing legislation that will leave schools just as vulnerable as they are now.

@2727201

I did the Army thing at 17 way back when as well. This whole age/maturity debate is a bit crazy to me. I don't have a problem with changing the law to 21 to purchase a gun (With an exception for active duty military). If you change a law, at least be honest why you are changing it. Public or school safety in this case. Claiming it is a maturity issue to me though, just doesn't hold water.

Nope.

The government should issue each newborn a gun at birth, like a social security number. Then only citizen would have guns. and everyone with a gun is a citizen.

How about a system, where the general accuracy and effectiveness of the firearm correlates with the age of the buyer? At eighteen, you could have a .22 or .223. At twenty-one, this would be upped to .44 or 5.56. At twenty-four, assuming you haven't strangled more than ten parrots or done something similarly deranged, you could have a free .50 with a coupon provided by the Federal Government or a minigun for a half of the original price.

@ZonkeyBalls How about a system, where the general accuracy and effectiveness of the firearm correlates with the age of the...

Are you saying .22 isn't as effective or accurate as larger calibers?
The IRA and mafia have used .22 and .25 for decades, for assassinations.

And since .22 ammo is cheap, people using those are usually more accurate than people who use larger caliber firearms.

So maybe reverse it.
Since .50 caliber is so expensive and they can't afford to practice a lot with it ... that would be allowed first.

LOL

@Walt_OReagun Are you saying .22 isn't as effective or accurate as larger calibers? The IRA and mafia have used .22 and .25 for...

Well, I wouldn't waste a perfectly good .22 on a parachuter, when there's me elder bro with a fifty cal around, ye. I knew this was going to bite me in da ass, but .22 is still a sharp shooting tool, whereas having a minigun is just pretty much more fucking fun, as a Crocodile Dundee surgeon tool, eh...

@ZonkeyBalls Well, I wouldn't waste a perfectly good .22 on a parachuter, when there's me elder bro with a fifty cal around, ye...

There's a couple guys at the local shooting range, who build "gatling guns" with .22 barrels. Fun to shoot.

@Walt_OReagun There's a couple guys at the local shooting range, who build "gatling guns" with .22 barrels. Fun to shoot.

The basic design works great with the potato guns as well. We have a lot of potatos over here. And it really is nasty as Hell, for the laughs.

@2727959

Oye.

Take it easy.

I didn't know you really want to have a gun that bad... I'm more into swords, these days.

It won't make a damn bit of difference. Their parents have guns or they can get them illegally.

@2727437

I just heard that there was at least 1 (armed?) police officer at the Florida school ... who didn't even attempt to confront the shooter.

Reminds me of that commercial where the robbers enter the bank, and the guy says "I'm not a security guard, I'm a security alert. You're being robbed."

Sure.
And raise the age for military enlistment (and draft) or membership in a religious organization to 21, as well.

I mean, if you aren't legally responsible enough to drink, smoke, or own a firearm ... then you probably aren't responsible enough to make those decisions, either.

Raising the age to 21 will do nothing, in fact, all of the things Trump has proposed are pointless. They'll talk about it for a while and then do nothing.
Largely because there are only 2 choices. Either ban guns or learn to live with mass shootings.
Maybe if they didn't have kids on psychotropic drugs from age 6 it would help./

Sure at 18 kids now are still brainless.

Yes, and also the legal age to vote should be raised to 21!

The age of being able to purchase a gun should be 30. Most people are less stupid after then, and a bit more self-aware.

War? There was a time when you couldn't stop men from going to fight...women would cry and want to keep the boys at home; yet they insisted on going... What happened?

I'd also like to stop or make it difficult for people to get married at a young age. There are way too many single mothers in Hamilton; and men with more than one family to support.

It's bad news for us when bad things happen in the States; eventually copycat psychos drift up here or perhaps become alert long enough in order to hear the details of what happened.

If men are so interested in self-protection...they should take up Taekwondo or similar.