4 Armed Deputies did not Stop the Parkland Shooter so Armed Teachers Will?

Are people really stupid enough to believe more guns is the answer? Yep. Including fearless leader Donald "Bone Spurs" Trump who said he would have rushed into the building, Unarmed no less. Riiight. Wanna buy a bridge?
He's even willing to give armed teachers a "little bonus". What a guy! I wonder if they get extra if they kill someone. This makes the coal miner's gift of a pen and the "dedication" of his golf trophy to, still without power, Puerto Rico seem like empty gestures. How does he do it? How does he stay so well informed on such a wide range of issues? Must be one of those stable genius things. Like hiring the best people. (If they'd just stop indicting them).

urwutuiss avatar Religion
5 82
@2728605

All the more reason to arm the defenseless people inside!

@2728459

So teachers have to be cops too? If armed guards didn't deter the shooter why would armed teachers? Wouldn't they shoot the teacher first

They don't choose school because it's a soft target. There are plenty of softer ones. They don't go planning to survive either.

Who is going to pay for guns and training and certification? Schools don't have enough money for school supplies.
More guns is not a solution. It's extra shrapnel in a hand grenade.

@2728856

Can you name a school shooter who shot up a school he didn't attend? Florida was not a soft target with armed guards and guards aren't distracted with other duties.
Somebody who shoots up a movie theater or concert is after a soft target.

If they can't afford school supplies how do they afford training and vetting and certification especially after funding cuts? It's one more bureaucracy to oversee.

Grants written by faculty? Non sequitur
Does that mean funded by faculty?

A far better choice would be dogs.

At the root of this and most other social ills from teenage pregnancy to alcoholism is massive inequality.
It's corrosive and as the wealth and income gaps continue to grow so too will social problems

@2728459

Well said.

And I would much sooner listen to the opinions of a vet and educator who has faced real bullets, than those of a doctrinaire liberal who has probably done none of the above.

And as for the "4 Armed Deputies [who] did not Stop the Parkland Shooter"? An excellent example of what can happen if an unarmed citizenry can only depend on the likes of the Broward County police for protection.

@2728459

I agree with everything you said.He sounds like a liberal
to me.

There were 4 armed deputies. According to some, those guns should have been able to go in and kill the shooter on their own, since guns are responsible for killing. Those of us who live in the real world, understand that a gun is only as useful or as dangerous as the person whose hands it is in. In this case, the deputies did not have what it takes to be enforcing the law and protecting the citizens. The "right" armed teachers would have acted. I have no doubt in my mind that there are people on this website who would have gone into the school armed, and done what needed to be done. Meanwhile, since some, never wanting to let a tragedy go to waste, will use this to blame Trump somehow. Did they blame Obama for the school shootings during his watch?

@JustJimColo There were 4 armed deputies. According to some, those guns should have been able to go in and kill the shooter on...

They never blamed Obama for anything and blame Trump for everything. They're either absolute and complete morons or hypocrites.

@2728496

Agreed, I almost added that to the comment.

@JerryHendrickson Perhaps, if the security had M-16's instead of pistols, they would have been more confident.

Perhaps Jerry. I think the "right" people would have gone in, no matter what weapons they had.

@2728631

I know what AR-15 stands for. I worked the arms room for about 6 months in the Army. M16s are the military's reincarnation of the AR-15. I've been hearing about the policy issue also. Liberals policies may actually be to blame for the deaths of those 17. That being said, the police need to have more than handguns to protect schools; most I see aren't carrying shotguns and AR-15s.

We can't even count on the "good guys" with training and weapons to protect us! Your damn right we need more guns!

4 out of 4 deputies with inadequate courage to engage the shooter - hard to believe, isn't it? Well, as it turns out, Broward county was part of an Obama scheme several years ago. The aim was to "correct" the racial imbalance of incarcerations. An offshoot of that program was to lighten up on student suspensions and arrests. Broward county saw their school system as a pipeline to incarceration. So, the sheriff providing all that "amazing" leadership had trained his underlings to turn a blind eye to student crime. Phuckin aye, we need more guns!

Well yes. People with guns stand a way better chance against people with guns.

@JerryHendrickson Well yes. People with guns stand a way better chance against people with guns.

ALSO, I was in Puerto Rico in December. You have no idea what you're talking about. My father-in-law lives there. Everyone is fine and most of the power is back. Do you have any idea how much work had to be done? No, you don't.

"fearless leader Donald "Bone Spurs" Trump who said he would have rushed into the building, Unarmed no less. Riiight. Wanna buy a bridge? "

As it turns out Urwut, President Trump did in fact prove his mettle back in 1991. He was traveling in New York and happened to come across one man beating another with a baseball bat. He told the driver to pull over and put a stop to the fight. He had no gun or baseball bat.

@Budwick Donald Trump Apparently Stopped a Mugging in 1991, Resurfaced Report Says Originally reported in New York Times -...

That sure was brave of him, to step out of his limo and tell the guy to put down his bat. It was......at least decent of him, anyway.

According to your own link, though, Trump's heroic act was originally reported in the New York Daily News.

@2728609

I don't see ANY corroboration of that Flanders. None.

By the way, did any of the deputies that went into the school while the shooter was murdering kids back up the other?

Ooops, oh yeah, they waited outside until the shooter ran out of bullets and went home.

@Budwick "fearless leader Donald "Bone Spurs" Trump who said he would have rushed into the building, Unarmed no less...

That story circulated but Trump was the source and as I recall it was never confirmed by credible witnesses. They never found the guy who was supposedly beaten and the limo driver was gone as well. There was another tale around the same time about him saving a guys house from foreclosure but Trump was the only source.

@urwutuis That story circulated but Trump was the source and as I recall it was never confirmed by credible witnesses. They...

Better call a special counsel investigation to see if we can waste more tax payer money and time.

I guess now anyone who wants to be a teacher needs to go trough a 2 month course on how to use firearms.

@2728544

It's not that Bozette, it's just so sad that it has come to suggestions like this, how did this become such a problem I mean what other country has such a problem?

@2728560

So it all falls down on someone not doing their job?

@2728637

The way I see it the second option seems better as for now. Guns appear to be a large part of the liberties Americans enjoy, and banning them won't cause a good enough effect, the argument that the ones who intend to do harm will find an alternate means to obtain a firearm does make sense. Besides it would mostly punish responsible gun owners.
You're saying that laws are being made and not being enforced, so I'm guessing tighter grip on backgrounds and evaluation wont be really effective.

I really don't get the banning of "scary looking rifles" it makes it sound like gun laws are decided by people who don't understand guns.

Indeed coming up with an effective solution is not easy and there will be resistance in any option taken.

@2728711

Have you ever been in a fire fight Flanders?
You can burn through a lot of ammunition in a hurry, especially if there are multiple opponents.

Remember - we want to be able to defend ourselves~!

@2729175

Cuz multiple intruders never happen in better neighborhoods?

NOw, you're just being stupid!

@Budwick Cuz multiple intruders never happen in better neighborhoods? NOw, you're just being stupid!

Wow, your neighborhood must be a real shithole. That or you are paranoid, in which case you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a gun.

@Flrdsgns Wow, your neighborhood must be a real shithole. That or you are paranoid, in which case you shouldn't be allowed...

An increasing number of break-ins and home invasions are sharing one thing in common: there are multiple intruders. If you have two or three or more people with bad intentions breaking into your house or property, you'll want more than a shotgun or a handgun: you'll want a semi automatic rifle. https://urbansurvivalsite.com/5...-home-defense/

Why would I be so stupid so as to not prepare for the worst case scenario? The cost of failure is my life!

@2730166

Let's just say that I don't recommend that you arrive uninvited.

@2730184

Right. Just an unhealthy dislike for my beliefs.

@2730199

Well, that's why I'm here Flanders, to keep you entertained!

@2730324

Adorable.
Now, be quiet. The big people have things to discuss.

@2728626

I speak intelligently enough, I didn't claim to have great knowledge, I was being sarcastic in my first comment.

The only epic fail here is you taking this personally and disrespecting me which won't end well for you "ranger".

What you could do is tell me why you disagree, instead of getting pissy with me.

@2728633

And what exactly are you against? I was sarcastic that they will probably make it mandatory for teachers to be instructed in firearms use. In your comment above you said that this is the proper course of action. Later in my reply to Bozette I expressed that I'm sad that it will probably come to this, as in that this is not normal and it shouldn't be, I don't know any other country with a similar problem so I presume it's exclusive to the US. What exactly in what I said is bothering you?

I don't mind being schooled, I don't mind being corrected and educated when I'm wrong, what I mind very much is people getting disrespectful with me. Had you put it otherwise I'd apologize but not when this is your reaction.

Trump has said some pretty stupid things in the past, but him running toward a shooter without a weapon is just down right nuts. He had 5 deferments to get out of the military and now he's claiming he's so brave. No one buys that, Mr. Trump. You're a coward and everyone knows it.

Arming school teachers is not the answer. It would just make the NRA more money, think how many more guns they would sell. My first thought was metal detectors at every entrance, but if someone wants to shoot kids, they can wait outside. No one wants to take away the average citizens guns. We want to ban all assault weapons that are only used to kill lots of people.

I'm so proud of the young people from all over the country who are speaking out against this atrocity. I hope they can get through to Congress because no one else can. It will take a famous member of Congress being killed or one in their family to get them to go up against the NRA.

@2728607

Amen to that, just yesterday a Governor from Washington State gave his opinion on arming teachers, Trump just folded his arms, didn't know what to say to the Gov. when he told him less tweeting and more listening. I'm sure he'll start trashing that governor soon.

To know that a guy with a gun stayed outside the school while innocent kids without any real means of protecting themselves were being killed is nothing short of disgusting.
Teachers should have the option of being trained and armed, but which schools having armed teachers should remain private to the public. Anyone who even thinks of shooting up a school again should be the recipient of a big surprise when the armed teachers respond.

It is of course possible, that an armed teacher might succeed in taking down, stopping, someone intent on killing as many people as possible. Not probable, but possible. Since most teachers don't feel at all comfortable with that whole idea, it might not the be best one, overall.

Sometime in the last year, I saw someone post a picture of an Israeli woman with little kids, on a field trip or something, with a clearly high powered rifle slung over her shoulder. The implication was, well, a dig at someone who wasn't as big a of Second Amendment "rights" supporter, as far as their interpretation of it.
I know that there has long been mandatory military training and service in Israel, for both men and women. We don't have that in this country, obviously. Not that people with military and firearms training haven't been a bad guy, too, so the only solution is for most anyone 18 or older, to be able to buy or carry any kind of gun they desire. That pretty much sums up the NRA's stance, seems to me.

@Piper2 It is of course possible, that an armed teacher might succeed in taking down, stopping, someone intent on...

How do you know that "most teachers don't feel at all comfortable with that whole idea"?

Do you think they would feel more comfortable being picked off because they are defenseless?

And your understanding of the "NRA stance" is uneducated. Do some research.

@Budwick How do you know that "most teachers don't feel at all comfortable with that whole idea"? Do you think they would...

I should have, meant to say "many". Because I've heard
many of them speak about it, is why.

No, I don't think that.

My understanding of the NRA's stance, is based on the words of their spokespersons.

@Piper2 I should have, meant to say "many". Because I've heard many of them speak about it, is why. No, I...

You are saying that you heard an NRA spokesperson say that their goal is for people "to be able to buy or carry any kind of gun they desire. "? I don't think so. CNN may have TOLD you that, but the NRA did not.

I wonder id you were aware that there are already 110 school districts that already allow guns on campus - specific rules vary. And many more looking into the matter.

I think it's safe to let those 'many' teachers know that they will not be required to pack heat, only offered the opportunity - assuming they meet qualifications.

@2728810

Thank you for the update Boz.
It's very encouraging.
None of us want anymore of our kids slaughtered.
Some trained / armed people on campus can give them a fighting chance.

@Budwick You are saying that you heard an NRA spokesperson say that their goal is for people "to be able to buy or carry any...

"most anyone 18 or older, to be able to buy or carry any kind of gun they desire."
Yes, that is what it sounds like to me, when I listen to them.
CNN doesn't TELL me anything. I believe it was there I heard Wayne LaPierre's and Dana Loesch's CPAC speeches though, since they aired those , and all. I just recently heard a guy speak that was some kind NRA representative on my community radio station, as well, but I don't recall his name.

Yes Budwick, I am aware that some school districts allow guns on campus. I am listening to the debate about the pro's and con's of the issue, but my own feelings about it are not important. How teachers, parents, grandparents, and even students....how they feel about it is. Whatever side of the issue they lean to, it is their voices that matter most.

Yes, give a gun to any teacher in the States.

Let's see how that works out. I've been shot too many times to the same shoulder to take any Spanish classes from a gun-happy American teacher, the first time he or she disagrees with my question.