What is your favorite thing about reading?

doctorwho1011s avatar Language
13 30

Expanding my horizons..

Engrossed in a book that I can't lay down.

You can never be bored if you can read. Books take you to so many places, there's so much to learn about .. well, everything. Reading is a saving grace in a crazy world.

@2728900

I call that falling into a book. I always feel lost when someone interrupts me while I'm reading. I have to look around and get my bearings, I've become part of the book😊

@2728947

I've worked with a woman who had macular degeneration until she couldn't read the screen any longer - I felt so very damned bad for the emotional slap in the face she was made to take.

@2728991

I'm with you on that hope ;)

I love being transported to other times and places by the author's words and my own imagination.

Aside from the obvious curiosity and gaining knowledge part, it is a temporary reprieve from my mind pondering or worrying over things I likely cannot change, just for a little while.

Being part of the character's experiences - living part of their "lives" without the actual harm and fear they've faced, though surviving in the end.

I can smell the words.

Wait, oh, that's just my undies. Reading? I thought that was a town in Berkshire, UK.

@ozzyboy Also a city in PA.

PA? Pacific Alzheimer's? Sorry, a bad joke, I just don't know about the abbreviation.

@ZonkeyBalls PA? Pacific Alzheimer's? Sorry, a bad joke, I just don't know about the abbreviation.

Reading, Pennsylvania, you know, the little Chicago of the east? At least, that is how Reading has been described to me but I would point to Harrisburg or York which is vying for that title.
Pacific Alzheimers sounds like a pretty good description of some of the west coast.

@2729056

That explains my fixation on spooning with hobos.

Getting lost in some small detail.

It gives me a comfortable illusion of intellectual superiority, along with other fictional ways of escaping realities of which I cannot cope. I can use BIG words too, and watch the 'deplorables' tremble.

The escape.

The scratch and sniff centerfolds.

1) I don't have to talk
2) I don't have to listen then answer

It could keep you from getting into the shower with a hair dryer..