+4

43* F Doesn't Sound Very Warm

On Feb. 23 that was the temperature reading in northern Greenland . A full 63 F above average high temperatures of -20 for February. Anthropogenic climate disruption (ACD) marches on much faster than predicted and nobody is doing anything. Unless you count making things worse by opening more public land for drilling and fracking and cutting alternative energy funds as the Trump admin has done. The arctic's Bearing Sea lost a third of its ice in 8 days in the dead of winter and while a single weather event cannot be directly linked to ACD and as shocking as this is to climatologists it doesn't seem people in the US see this as an area of concern. Denial propaganda propagated by the fossil fuel industry, along with other corporate interests, is playing a key role in the destruction of the environment as are those who continue to buy into their bullshit. Among other reasons for denial there are people in congress who don't believe ACD is real because God promised Noah he wouldn't flood the world again.The ravages of profit driven Capitalism will kill us all.

urwutuiss avatar Technology
2 38

Global warming is real everywhere but America!Hit the wrong button by the way!Mind you 43F sounds positively balmy compared to the current temperature here!

Turn that into Celsius and you'd be boiling.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Turn that into Celsius and you'd be boiling.

Depends on the humidity, actually.
I got 30'sºC in South Africa, but the humidity wasn't that high, so even if it was hot, it was bearable. (It's still dangerous though. You have to drink a lot of water even if you're feeling reasonably okay)
I got 36ºC in Lisbon with high humidity and even breathing outside was a little difficult. I was just melting. And 28º/30'sº in Madeira is always a nightmare because of the humidity. You just sweat, and you feel overheated and it's just uncomfortable. Going outside is a no-thanks.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply
@2729368

The colder weather is actually caused by warming at the poles.
It changes the flow of the jet stream which is why we now have a "polar vortex" and fresh water from massive ice melt slows the gulf stream. If you're in western Europe winters will be getting colder.

Most of the people that don't care about climate change, will care when it's too late to fix anything, or even minimise the damage. Or probably not, since most of them won't be alive to go through the worst of it and they don't see why they would have to bother themselves with something that won't necessarily affect them that much.
But hey, don't forget, the kids nowadays are the self-centred, spoiled ones.

Also, nope that's not warm. That's 6ºC and that is the temperature in some of the fridges of the hotel I work in.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply
@Sofia Most of the people that don't care about climate change, will care when it's too late to fix anything, or even...

Until it happens to them denial is the rule although I am of the opinion that it's already too late and I think things are about to shift gears as the feedback begins. 6 is extremely warm when the norm is -29. A 35* C shift from average is astounding. Warming is why 99% of sea turtles being born are female and half the planets coral reefs are dead.

This is not a call to action. I don't think there's anything that can be done. What I do think is change is accelerating and it will be a rude awakening for about half the country.

@urwutuis Until it happens to them denial is the rule although I am of the opinion that it's already too late and I think...

In comparison to -29º, yeah, that's warmer, but 6ºC still isn't warm weather. I wasn't making comparisons to other temperatures.

As you said, until they feel it, denial is the main choice.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply
@Sofia In comparison to -29º, yeah, that's warmer, but 6ºC still isn't warm weather. I wasn't making comparisons to...

The point is that northern Greenland, which typically is -29 at this time of year, has temps of 6.
Saying it's unseasonably warm would be the understatement of the century.

Yeah, but when coming off a few weeks of sub zero, 43* feels pretty good!

@2729446

You're in northern Greenland in February so that's 63 above normal.
If it was Denver it would be 112

It's warm to anyone who leaves the basement once in a while and goes outside.

"Anthropogenic climate disruption" hehe smilie LMAO!! What are we going to call it in the spring? Some of you liberals are funnier than late night TV. hehe smilie HAHA!!

It definitely isn't warm, for where I live. I do disagree that nobody is at least trying to do anything, though.

@Piper2 It definitely isn't warm, for where I live. I do disagree that nobody is at least trying to do anything...

" I do disagree that nobody is at least trying to do anything."

What kind of knot did you tie with that sentence?

@Budwick " I do disagree that nobody is at least trying to do anything." What kind of knot did you tie with that sentence?

Seems pretty self-explanatory, properly worded, or not.

Individuals, countries, states, communities...many have and are taking measures both big or small, to reduce their carbon footprint.

Man-made global warming is a crock and even the people who cry about it know it's true.

@JerryHendrickson Man-made global warming is a crock and even the people who cry about it know it's true.

While I'm sure that's based on mountains of research I would have to disagree.
And it's not a call to action. It's already too fucked up to fix so we can sit back and watch the show.

@2729499

I see civility is as foreign to you as is critical thinking.

@2729747

I didn't preach anything to you or anyone else. The rest of your rant is unrelated nonsense.

@2729569

What would you like me to do?

@2729785

I have nothing to do with the Paris accord and my point is information.
Believe it or not it's a major event. For an area of the arctic to be
63*F above the norm in the dead of winter is a bit staggering although it doesn't seem many here grasp the implications.

@2730083

The Science is as settled as science gets. The very small number who disagree are the same scientists who worked for the tobacco industry. Their job is to create doubt so as to delay change in policy.
The climate has been stable for about 10,000 years minus an occasional short term blip generally due to changes in orbit or solar output.
That is not the case now. This is a sustained trend that has already created feedback loops that are not reversable.

There is a major difference between weather and climate and while climate does change there is little doubt this is man made as all other known forces have been eliminated.

The thing that is not generally discussed is the ocean Which absorbs large amounts of CO2. With 400+ dead zones where nothing can live, acidification and a 50% reduction of ocean life over the past 40 years.
Plankton is responsible for the oxygen in every other breath you take. It's half what it was in the 60's and continues to decline.
The fact that half the coral reefs have been bleached out due to sustained rising ocean temps is

The idea that there is an equivalence debate is like saying there is debate over a flat Earth.

@2730626

I'm not trying to convince you but the truth is the truth.
Yes, the climate has changed dramatically and abruptly in the past. Climate change prior to the industrial revolution can be explained by natural causes. Natural causes alone do not explain the warming we see today especially since the mid 20th century.
When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no mater how implausible, must be the truth

The short life span of methane is reflected in GWP scale as is it's conversion to ozone and several other factors.

As to 9/11 The NIST and commission reports are an insult to the intelligence of anyone who can complete a sentence without drooling.

Without a cold, whipping wind and having the comfort of a warm winter jacket, most people would be comfortable in this part of the country. During the past week we've been hanging between the 40s and the 20s for highs and lows - sometimes it's felt fine, sometimes not so much :) Hope you're surviving well enough ;)

because it's true

it's not fair to her

Anonymous