+12

When basic human needs are not met, people are more focused on surviving. Sadly, equality is not a priority when you’re starving. If only the whole world was a first world. Amirite?

fuzalas avatar Relationships
3 20

Remember when basic needs were food and a roof over your head? Today it seems like the definition of basic needs include free internet, free cable, free smart phone, big screen TV, and a monthly paycheck if you refuse to work.

I don't mind a hand "up", but I'm tired of giving hand outs to those who are able to work but wont.

Agreed.

First good, then morality.
Bertolt Brecht

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2729881

There is no such thing as equality, and there never has been, because people aren't equal. I think the myth of all people being equal came out of peoples desire to be deemed as qualified as someone else. That simply isn't true. Some have taken it further claiming they should be considered qualified because of their gender, their age, their color, their orientation etc etc.
The only thing that makes people equal to someone else, is if their abilities and qualifications are equal. It doesn't make one better better than someone else. It simply makes them more qualified.

That would be nice but not if it is me paying for people who won't work and keep having children they can not provide for. More often the 3rd world people demand we give to them so everyone end up in a far worst place.

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it.

Proverbs 15:17

If only.

There's food being thrown away by the tons in some countries... that shouldn't be happening if the food was distributed correctly. But then some countries and cities, between going in the place with food, and walking towards an awakening volcano, you have better chance of surviving with the volcano. "First World" World sounds like an impossibility. Humanity is too screwed up to reach that dream.

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are 0Reply

Your logic is flawed.
I doubt that equality is a first world concern.

@Budwick Your logic is flawed. I doubt that equality is a first world concern.

It is a concern

There’s always room for improvement

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply

Nope. It's actually the other way around. When everybody is focused purely on survival, it doesn't matter what gender/ethnic/ect you are - it comes down to what you can provide. Only when people get to the point they can focus on things other than survival, do they start making rules against equality.

@Walt_OReagun Nope. It's actually the other way around. When everybody is focused purely on survival, it doesn't matter what...

Haven’t seen that

When the early humans were focused on surviving they killed outsiders and those different from them

@fuzala Haven’t seen that When the early humans were focused on surviving they killed outsiders and those different...

Actually, the archaeological evidence ... and modern genetics ... appear to show just the opposite.

Early Homo Sapiens interbred with Homo Neanderthalus. And those groups were further apart than modern humans.

Genetic variance between modern humans = .1%
Genetic variance between HS and HN = .3%

Now, if 2 (or more) groups are competing for the same resources that they believe can only sustain 1 group - of course they are going to fight. That has nothing to do with "they are different".

@Walt_OReagun Actually, the archaeological evidence ... and modern genetics ... appear to show just the opposite. Early Homo...

Yeah it does have to do with being different because they want their own genes to pass than those that are different

they mated with neanderthals maybe because they were less pressed for their other basic needs like food

Which goes along with my post

less hungry, more open to different tribes
starving, violent against different tribes

@fuzala Yeah it does have to do with being different because they want their own genes to pass than those that are...

Your last paragraph reinforces my point.
It doesn't matter if the other tribes have different looks, values, etc ... if there isn't enough food for everyone, they will fight.

@Walt_OReagun Your last paragraph reinforces my point. It doesn't matter if the other tribes have different looks, values...

No it doesn’t reinforce it

They fight the different first before the same

Us versus them

In group

@fuzala No it doesn’t reinforce it They fight the different first before the same Us versus them In group

Scenario:
3 tribes ... 2 eating meat and 1 eating fruits ... and there is not enough meat-food

You say the meat eaters will kill the fruit eaters first because they are different.

I say the meat eaters will leave the fruit eaters alone, and kill each other - because they are the same, and competing for the same resource.

@Walt_OReagun Scenario: 3 tribes ... 2 eating meat and 1 eating fruits ... and there is not enough meat-food You say the meat...

Different in their looks and customs overall

So that example doesn’t work at all

You’ll still fight the vegetarian for other resources like shelter

You’ll share with your tribe because you favor them. Human are social creatures so turning on your own tribe was less likely than attacking another tribe.

It was in-group favoritism and exists even today in the form of racism

@fuzala Different in their looks and customs overall So that example doesn’t work at all You’ll still fight the...

I can't remember where I read it, but the outline of the survival hierarchy was:

Me
My family
My friends
My acquaintances/neighbors
Everybody else

Anonymous