+3

It seems to me that protesting against racism and xenophobia (even when it is not a 'big issue' today) is a noble thing to do. Think about that for a minute. This NRA advertisement seems to imply that we need guns to keep people from saying "racism is bad."

NRA Adhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnIVVWtAag
VicZincs avatar Jokes & Humour
8 50
@2731295

"gunning anyone down" is not equivalent to "we need guns to keep people from saying..."

The national rifle association is nothing if it is not about proving we need guns. Not that we need more proof, the constitution makes the most cogent argument I've heard. This is clearly a ploy to convince members that they need their gun in case someone tries to claim that racism is bad.

Now to be clear, I am not saying any members of NRA are racists, far from it. In fact, I assume the vast majority are not racists, but that is not the message of this ad.

My hope is that level headed NRA members will see that this is not a helpful message, and perhaps lobby their organization to not use these over-the-top propaganda films as part of their message.

Clearly we have some members here who actually fall for this nonsense and believe that the scenes depicted in this film are everyday occurrences in our cities.

@2731450

Well I guess we are at odds. To me this ad is a false narrative.

11 months later we are all still here. Just like Obama never came for our guns, so these wild "they"s never did whatever this spokesperson claimed they were about to do.

Fear-mongering, that's all. Neocons use the same tactics she cites, only in different ways. Pretty sure she knows that.

My kid attends public school, he doesn't think Trump's a Nazi... More a unnecessarily dangerous jackass, really. I'm kinda thankful that Trump provided an example of how dangerous unchecked egotism can actually be, it's a valuable lesson.

No one taught him to think that specifically. I've tried to teach him to think for himself, to figure out what he values and stand firm, to not become what he despises because it's easy.

Go figure, he was actually listening... No one's more surprised by that than me.

Trump's attitude is what happens when we disregard all that. But if we step out of our sheltered American bubble and make an earnest attempt to see the world and the people in it, we begin to understand the threat isn't external there... It's in us. If we choose for it to be, that is. jmo

@ForkNdaRoad Fear-mongering, that's all. Neocons use the same tactics she cites, only in different ways. Pretty sure she knows...

You have a very intelligent child....he has recognized Trump for what he really is.... an unnecessarily dangerous jackass. lol

@StarzAbove You have a very intelligent child....he has recognized Trump for what he really is.... an unnecessarily dangerous...

He's 11, I think he just recognizes a fellow kid when he sees one. lol And I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

Granted, he has a friend whose whole family are huge Trump supporters. He recently resisted the temptation to air his opinion about Trump when his buddy was expressing excitement at the prospect of Trump signing an award he's earning. Evidently he didn't want to upset his friend.

And that's just fine by me too.

@ForkNdaRoad He's 11, I think he just recognizes a fellow kid when he sees one. lol And I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist...

Kudos to your son, he's a very sensible and caring young man. Evidently you're a great role model.

hug smiliehug smilie

@StarzAbove Kudos to your son, he's a very sensible and caring young man. Evidently you're a great role model.

I was pretty impressed at that decision as well. I really don't think it was thanks to me though, he much nicer than I am :)

Or maybe I'm bad enough that he uses me as an example of how not to be. lol

@ForkNdaRoad I was pretty impressed at that decision as well. I really don't think it was thanks to me though, he much nicer...

I think you're being too modest. Kids pick up what they see and hear. I'm very impressed with him, most young kids at that age, aren't aware of what's going on around them, but he zeroed in on Trump right away. lol

@StarzAbove I think you're being too modest. Kids pick up what they see and hear. I'm very impressed with him, most young...

What they see, yes, never what they hear, only what they see.

He actually learned the word pu$$y from our president. He came home from a friend's house one day and informed me that Trump talked about grabbing a woman in the crotch. That was an interesting conversation. From that point on he's shown quite the interest in politics.

@ForkNdaRoad What they see, yes, never what they hear, only what they see. He actually learned the word pu$$y from our...

That's terrible. And that coming from the president.... At this point, I'm glad my sons are raised.

@StarzAbove That's terrible. And that coming from the president.... At this point, I'm glad my sons are raised.

The world is radically different even from when I grew up. I recall the impeachment proceedings of Clinton being played in heavy rotation and almost exclusively surrounding whether or not he was morally fit to be president.

My how the world has changed...

@ForkNdaRoad The world is radically different even from when I grew up. I recall the impeachment proceedings of Clinton being...

Exactly and they impeached him because he lied. Trump lies continually and nothing is done about him. He has the morals of an alleycat, and the Republicans just smile. Disgusting.

Make up a problem, preferably by twisting a truth, so that you can still have some sort of evidence to back up your lies
Claim someone else is behind the source of that problem, and label them as evil as you can. They are the enemy, the ones "everyone" should go against
Act like you know how to stop the evil people, and that you care about the good of the everyone else

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply

This ad follows the Hermann Göring playbook on how to get "the people" to do the bidding of their leaders..

• tell them they are being attacked by the other side
  • denounce the people on the other side for their lack of patriotism, and for exposing the country to danger

As Göring said, it's easy, and it works in every country. This quote always spooked me. It makes it seems like manipulating the masses is a science.

@2731301

Yes, manipulation has been used over and over again throughout history, sometimes with dire consequences. While the ad does not explicitly call for violence, its tone is clearly combative.

Who are the "they" in this message? Some nebulous group of left-wing radicals hell bent on overturning American society? This ad is only about truth if you believe in the rhetoric. I see no vast group of people running amok, bullying and terrorizing us law abiding citizens.

The thing that spooks me is knowing how people in the past have reacted to such divisive rhetoric.

@2731409

I do not believe all the divisive rhetoric originates on the right or with the NRA. I was merely calling out the belligerent tone of this ad.

I remember hearing of a few calls for Trump's assassination, which is not only heinous but I thought very illegal, but not thousands of them. Regardless, all the things you've listed above were carried out by small numbers of people and in my opinion, blown out of proportion. I don't feel these people pose a great threat to our way of life.

Hopefully calmer heads will prevail.

@PhilboydStudge This ad follows the Hermann Göring playbook on how to get "the people" to do the bidding of their leaders.. tell...

It is a science. Rhetoric has been studied and taught for over 2500 years in western culture and even longer in the east.

It's an art more than a science. You need charisma above anything else.

And I think you must have meant Goebbels rather than Göring. Goebbels was the propaganda minister after all, and he was pretty good at it, sorta like his current disciple, Louis Farrakhan.

Actually answering your post - I remember when on one conversation about neo-nazis, around a year or two ago, I said neo-nazis are gaining recognition, they are still out there and they are a danger, and paraphrasing here, a guy called it bullshit, saying that neo-nazis aren't an issue at all, because he didn't see much of them in the USA. Funny how that worked out. (A tip, people: try to get more than one source of news or you'll have a very wrong picture of what is happening when you're not looking)

It's always noble to go against such intolerance and hate. Protest and speak up if you see the need. Don't riot, though. Everytime someone riots in a protest, assholes like the NRA use that to falsely claim every protestant as a criminal that wishes harm to others.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply

The nra. There to teach people gun safety and support hunters. Ha!
That ad exudes hatred. Dana whatshername is such an ugly woman. Modern maleficent.

@Thinkerbell Indeed.

Wow. WTF is his problem?

@PhilboydStudge Wow. WTF is his problem?

His problem is that he is a nazi, perhaps a non-traditional one, but a nazi nevertheless.

Hitler could have used him, had Farrakhan been active in the US in the 30s.

The NRA will do and say anything to sell guns. And what's sad is some people believe them. Pathetic.

Protesters of those things are a joke. They waste their time complaining of things that barely exist because that's what they do, constantly complain. "I'm going to go and throw a tantrum in the street so everyone can see that I'm an unhappy little baby." Car burning, window smashing, and beating on anyone who disagrees with them? That's not noble.

@JerryHendrickson Protesters of those things are a joke. They waste their time complaining of things that barely exist because...

That is not happening. Despite the carefully curated collection of clips used in the ad.

That spokesperson for the NRA, Dana, is a vicious person who exudes hate with every word she speaks. But she works for the NRA and that's what they are all about.

Actually Vic, the ad says nothing of the kind!

Did you notice all the violence in the video of the ad? Those were your 'poor innocent, little victims that only wish to express a feeling that racism is bad' that were rioting, burning buildings, looting stores, turning over cars, fighting police, ignoring law.

Violent behavior like that is disturbing to normal people. They feel a need to protect themselves, their families and property from wild animals like these.

And racism IS a big deal these days. Especially when you have whack job racists like Louis Farrakhan threatening white people and Jews. Not with implication mind you but outright threats "white folks are going down!".

So please, save you anti white belly aching. Your message is falling on deaf ears.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply