What would happen if there were no cars, buses, trains, boats, or planes? How would this change your life?

Image for post What would happen if there were no cars, buses, trains, boats, or planes? How would this change your life?
ThePrinceofWaless avatar
8 52

It would take a bit longer to get from point A to point B on a horse. And i dont reckon id be eating godiva chocolate anymore.

@Carla It would take a bit longer to get from point A to point B on a horse. And i dont reckon id be eating godiva...

Aw, shucks, ma'am - I'd cripple a mule for all the miles I'd put on it to ensure you'd have your chocolate and, damn it, it'd be Godiva or my name ain't poo wink smilie

@Carla What a gentleman. Hope that mule can swim;)

horses and mules are good swimmers we never used saddles took ours to the lake several times a week in summer. fun if you can hold on. biggrin smilie

Carla, yes a horse can work it you have room for it. We had 3 horses when I was a teen and that is how we all got where we wanted to go, shopping was a pain if you didn't take someone to tend the horse while in grocery. People are thinking they can just go pat a horse like a dog - not cool sometimes.

My life? This would change the world! Basically set us hundreds of years back! You know those avocados bananas and all kinds of exotic foods and merchandise you absolutely love? You would only dream about those, The world is advanced as it is by a large part due to fast transport.

@Sunny_the_skeptic My life? This would change the world! Basically set us hundreds of years back! You know those avocados bananas and...

I agree, and I was just thinking of the stock market where most of our retirement funds sit, that'd take a huge dive just at the hint of no more cars/trucks etc.

Some could get to us by raft floatation things that are not boats, whatever hat could be. . After arriving in usa I think someone would figure a way to bring it into towns and stores, probably we would grow more in local communities when possible,

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Some could get to us by raft floatation things that are not boats, whatever hat could be. . After arriving in...

I'm not saying it would not be possible, I'm saying that you'd have to wait VERY long, aside from the stuff will be super overpriced due to the effort needed to bring them to you. If you want a mango I will overcharge the living hell out of you because I'm not gonna make that road for a few pennies. Imagine waiting for your delivery for 4 months and it's some mundane thing you now could get from your local store

Aside from the fact that a lot of things you can not locally grow in the US, not to mention that without modern technology a lot of perishables wont make it in time to be ripe and consumable.

I'd love no cars, but I'd struggle a lot without planes so I would have to move to a good surf beach as I wouldn't be able to travel. Also without cars, the obesity epidemic would come to an end very quickly so that'd be a positive, but the downside with no trucks would be no deliveries of supermarket goods in the quantities we are used to.

@OzSurfer I'd love no cars, but I'd struggle a lot without planes so I would have to move to a good surf beach as I wouldn't...

So true the fatties would need to do more than sit on butt all day, especially kids because I am sure those kids would be sent on lots of errands. scn smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred So true the fatties would need to do more than sit on butt all day, especially kids because I am sure those kids...

Yes, and newspapers would probably be delivered by kids on bikes again rather than people in cars that just throw them out the window and you have to go on a paper hunt to find it.

People survived somehow before all of those forms of transportation were invented. It would make life very miserable, however.

I guess I'd get a horse and carriage to go to the grocery store. Perhaps my doctor would go back to making house calls by the same method.

@2731740

Our city has had a doctor who did home visits up until his death, 20+ years ago - had been doing them for ages, just as was common back in the horse and buggy era.

I just thought, about food shortages as farming and producing food might become a bit of an issue if we went back to non-motorised farming methods.

@OzSurfer I just thought, about food shortages as farming and producing food might become a bit of an issue if we went back...

We would be farming like the Amish, by horse. They have no electricity, indoor plumbing, it's a hard life. No phones in their homes, but when they need to make a call, they use a neighbor's phone. lol They don't own or drive cars, but when they need to go a far distance, they hire a driver. lol

@StarzAbove We would be farming like the Amish, by horse. They have no electricity, indoor plumbing, it's a hard life. No...

Yes I think it would definitely return to that type of existence, and I also think the stockmarket would take a huge dive and many businesses would go bankrupt due to the lack of customer turn-over, but blacksmiths would make a come-back lol.

@JanHaskell Or stagecoach

Yes Jan think how long that would take.. Lucky that probably will l never happen.

@2731720

hahaha How would all those things you ordered get to Amazon? lol

@StarzAbove hahaha How would all those things you ordered get to Amazon? lol

they ae thinking of using droans - do they count as airplanes? Amazon would probably train vultures or some other big bird to fly your order to you OH OR by blimp?

I guess I'd add some modifications to my lawn mower.

Our economy would crumble, the ramifications of which would have us picking plants and killing animals to subsist on... purified water for many would be out of reach, both for the much higher cost and the logistics of getting it out to remote areas. Medical necessities wouldn't be available (fresh organ transplants, for instance). I could sit here and tick-off tens of thousands of specific devastation and still not hit upon all the Hell on Earth it would cause, much of it immediate.

I'd just have to get me a mule!

@JerryHendrickson Mules can carry supplies.

Yes they can but they also need food and shoveling out after they eat. All the homeless guys round here have bikes and a cart to carry things, they make it with a thrown away bike and a wood box. I want to buy one from one of the guys so I can hook the little cart onto my little prius car.

isolation and non development would have been there.

Well I would need to move into town so I could walk to the store - well if there was anything in the stores because it would be hard to walk all the items in a store from distributor to shelves.

We would use horse and buggies.

I wouldn't travel unless necessary..

There's a slight bit more people now than the good ole western days..

There would be so much horse crap on the roads...you'd need a gas mask when riding..

That'll be one of many things, that drives up your insurance rates.

Yea...don't think that insurance will magically disappear.

@2731650

That's another thing.

You just thought police in cars, took a long time to get to a call..

If you call the police, you can sit down and have lunch while waiting....
Maybe not, if it's a well traveled road hehe smilie

@DandyDon That's another thing. You just thought police in cars, took a long time to get to a call.. If you call the...

I'm imaging police chases on bicycles and they'd have to hire olympic cyclists for the police force. Their motto would be..."no more donuts for you" hehe smilie