+12

Today's youth has more information at their fingertips than our parents encountered in their entire lifetimes. They are uniquely positioned to change the course of humanity for the good, and it is our job as leaders to ensure they develop the critical thinking skills to do so.

VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
6 27
@2731641

Back to basic, teaching kids to think for themselves.

@2731658

That bothers me too, but I'm probably biased. One of my jobs in high school was working an old machinical register at an Arby's.

The customer gives you say a 20 dollar bill, and you count back the change. Your total is 13.75. A quarter makes that 14, a dollar 15, and a 5 twenty.

How difficult is that? smile smilie

With knowledge
Comes power

Let’s hope it’s channeled the right way

@fuzala With knowledge Comes power Let’s hope it’s channeled the right way

And not suppressed by budget cuts and anti-education agendas.

Yes, they have a lot of information. A youth's mind only hears what is thought to be true.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

They may have more information, but someone controls that information, so are they really any wiser? Whoever controls information (which is easy now we have the internet), controls your thinking and your history and so therefore your future.
Too much reliance and not enough independence.

The second half of the last sentence has ALWAYS been true. It doesn't matter how easily you can access information - it only matters how involved you are.

@2732402

Then we are doing a poor job as leaders.

Our job as leaders to "develop critical thinking skills" (as Vic put it) has apparently been ignored by modern day colleges. When I was in college 50 years ago, we were encouraged to discuss issues and problems with many different points of view. Nowadays, I see examples in current events quite frequently where students who express certain points of view are shunned or even expelled from their colleges!

@2741204

Who's going to teach them? I agree but I don't see an alternative. Stop teaching to the test, and go back to the classics.
Schools need to teach music, home ec, shop, and Latin. Kids need to be exposed to Plato, Locke, Bacon, Aquinas and other critical thinkers. Teach dialectic, teach Euclid and Descartes, teach Boole and Demorgan.

@2741213

I know many who went to public schools, but that was before standardized testing. Problem is not everyone has access to little academies and with the current economy homeschooling is not an option for most.

@2741500

Nope, the economy that is messed up by the greed on Wall Street. That economy.

I don't have a phone

Preach it!!!

Would that be the same "critical thinking" that's fucked up banking, the housing market and the living wage?

@TheCensoredBrit Would that be the same "critical thinking" that's fucked up banking, the housing market and the living wage?

No the conservatives don't understand macroeconomics because that takes higher math. Every time the liberals get it straightened out the conservative screw it up by lowering taxes and deregulating banks.