+7

Every time I hear someone in America disparage our educational system and the 'indoctrination' taking place in our institutions of learning. I can't help thinking of Boko Haram using these same arguments in their dastardly attempts to limit education, to further their agenda of extreme conservatism.

VicZincs avatar
2 57

Nonsense. If you can't see the liberal indoctrination in the educational system, you're either just not looking or you think it's a good thing.

@VicZinc Said Boko Haram just yesterday.

No Vic, his name is Jerry, Jerry Hendrickson.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick No Vic, his name is Jerry, Jerry Hendrickson.

You gave me that whole James Bond mystique there Bud.

@VicZinc Is Budwick your sock?

Budwick is my NAME.

Is douche bag your game?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@VicZinc Is Budwick your sock?

If that reply was meant for me. I don't have time for a sock account even if I wanted one, which I don't. There is no need, I just call it like I see it.

That's an inadvertent admission of the fear they're experiencing at the thought of their child confronting different suggestions. They're afraid of their child having a mind independent from their thinking / opinions. That's just wrong.

I flatly disagree with teachers pushing 'what' to think, rather than 'how' to think, on their students. But a parent's guilty of the exact same thing should they demand that their children receive instruction which never deviates from their own ideas etc.

I want my kid to think independently from me.

To be honest, I'm not sure what people mean when they say our educational system is pushing a progressive agenda, or how they would like it changed. My knee jerk reaction is to assume they want to teach things other than evolution and a 13 billion year old universe, which I am against, but I really don't know.

I was taught Christopher Columbus discovered America, which is obvious hogwash. I don't remember learning much about the indigenous peoples living hear before the Europeans came, except for things like how they sold Manhattan for a string of beads and shared a meal with the Pilgrims. I do recall one teacher telling us the"Indians" were mistreated, but I thought she was kind of radical. Eventually I graduated high school believing that the U.S. always fought (in wars) for what is just and right. That doesn't seem like progressivism to me.

However, I was also taught that America did make mistakes, that slavery was terrible, Black Americans had been discriminated against, that Martin Luther King was a great man, and that civil disobedience was sometimes necessary to enact change. Is that progressivism?

Conservatives do value education but are shut out in colleges due to the intolerant lefty professors who do their darkest to shut up anyone who doesn't think like them.
Kids need to learn how to think, do their math, science and literature. They really don't need to know about "Jacob's New Dress."
Everyone needs to be respected and ditch the progressive agenda or more kids will be put in private schools as public schools get worse in basic education.

Education is alive and well in America. All one has to do is listen to how intelligent and articulate the students from Parkland, Florida are in speaking out against the gun debate. They make some politicians look sick.

@2731769

I have to agree with you on that point. Those on the far left seem to respect free speech so long as it doesn't offend their values. That is not free speech in my book. I'm not saying they have a complete monopoly on that. I have a few personal anecdotes to the contrary, but it's something they need to get through their heads.

@PhilboydStudge I have to agree with you on that point. Those on the far left seem to respect free speech so long as it doesn't...

Look familiar in intent?

"In Berlin, as in other German university towns, un-German and indecent books are being collected by the students and publicly burned."

@2731769

I suggest you try convincing conservatives to become teachers.

I suspect the main reason more liberals are teaching is because they value education and are willing to work for lower wages to ensure future generations have opportunities. Conservatives value money and profits. They want to take care of only themselves and their own. They do not value educations and they see it as a source of dangerous ideas. Or is that what you just said?

@2731775

I am not sure if you are suggesting eliminating education because only weak minded people are willing to teach. If you are, then that is the exact arguments boko harum uses when it raids schools and burns them to the ground.

If you are not then I go back to my original response and suggest you encourage conservatives to become teachers.

@2731811

Somehow, your comment was first edited, then deleted.
????
I will try to answer your question, though. Women become liberals because that is the way they (we) think and the values we believe in. Life experience, associations, the way we were raised, the ideals we were taught, the way we see the world, and how we respond to it. Not all liberals are communists. Not all republicans are fascist.
Not all women marry conservatives. There are many liberal men, good looking successful men. Same goes for conservative men.
There are many single, conservative women. Some not so appealing. The same goes for liberal women.
Your opinion of women seems flawed.
By your writings, i think you believe that women are here only to serve men. That our value is based on the success of whom we marry, or if we do. That just doesnt hold up.

@2731837

I have to say, maze....read an article in forbes titled the cause and consequence of women in labor.
It all started with world war two. Continued with womens new found ability to be higher educated and equal rights.
I know that big business profits from most things that push employees, but i dont think women in the workforce was part of a conspiracy.

@2731873

Obviously women entering the workforce increases the supply of labor, and that causes wages to decline. I would just add though that regardless of this fact, without labor organizations the workers' ability to demand a living wage is also lessened. My guess is that this has more of a negative impact on wages than women in the workforce, but that's just a guess.

@2732325

All fair points. Unions do bare a large share in the responsibility of their own demise.

I'm always surprised when someone had an outlook darker than my own.

@PhilboydStudge All fair points. Unions do bare a large share in the responsibility of their own demise. I'm always surprised...

Having worked closely with Unions in the past I can try to dissuade you of that notion.

Picture this, a union negotiates for a $1 an hour raise - in a big factory that might mean a $20 million dollar commitment on the company's balance sheet.

The BOD then gives the CEO a $5 million a year raise. Not an equivalent $1 per hour raise ($2,000/year) or even $10 per hour ($20,000) but $5 million ($2,500 per hour) . The union then reconvenes and reasons, well we could have asked for $1.25 an hour because clearly we left money on the table. So they go back and ask for the extra $.025.

The company finally agrees and then turns around and give the CEO a $2 million bonus. The union thinks, well heck we could have got an extra dime ....

So is it the Union over reaching, or is the fault with the board who is bend on keeping the wage gap as large as possible?

In some European companies the wage cap, though large, is more reasonable. Their unions don't keep going back to the trough because the company doesn't keep driving that gap.

When a company treats its workers as valued members instead of assets to be exploited for profit, everyone benefits.

@VicZinc Having worked closely with Unions in the past I can try to dissuade you of that notion. Picture this, a union...

I was thinking more along the lines of unions defending unproductive workers, being against technology that improves productivity but eliminates job functions, etc.. I agree with you wholeheartedly on CEO compensation. I suspect the upper echelons are not subject to the same rules of supply and demand than the rest of labor is.. it's as if the CEO and BOD are members of the same club.

Part of the issue (that's also not the fault of the unions) is globalization. How can union factories compete with those halfway around the world that are not regulated? I'm not saying I'm against regulations - many improve the lives of masses.

@2731859

The point being it still happens.

This is the problem with Citizens First. This is the problem with lobbying. Our elected leaders don't write legislation, lobbyist do.

Those NRA ads are a perfect example of corporations setting the agenda for Americans.

And we, including me, are all falling for it. We hear different trumpets but we all hear trumpets.

@2731837

I tend to see women entering the workforce as a function of economics, though I do agree with Carla that in the U.S. it started in WWII. Nowadays in our consumer/consumption focused economy families need two bread-earners to maintain their standard of living.

@2732026

Spot on my friend. If you hate what someone else is saying counter it with logical argument and debate. Oppressive policies may benefit one side today, but tomorrow it will be used them.

@2731781

Man, maze...you have a very skewed way of looking at women. My world proves your theory, unfounded and ridiculous.

@2731836

Can you explain how you know that the questionaire was meant to weed out certain people because of their beliefs or the area which they live. Was it explained with the questionaire? Its kind of hard for me to believe it would be that blatantly expressed as it would beg for lawsuits.

@2731857

I think, as a teacher, i would make alot of noise about such a thing.

@2731928

Im a leftist and do not.

This is another post filled with right wing hatred - not to mention bull-pucky!

The military are low lifes, Trump should be impeached, Trump should be killed, Christians are stupid, conservative speakers are not allowed here, on and on! These stories are in the news daily.

Any one denying it is willfully ignorant.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick This is another post filled with right wing hatred - not to mention bull-pucky! The military are low lifes, Trump...

Lots of willfully ignorant types around, Bud.

But of course, it's more about political power than ignorance, using the Big Lie.

No one is trying to limit education in the US, Vic, except of course the far Left.

And they've pretty much succeeded.