+5

Students who participate in the National School Walkout Day should be subject to the discipline the school currently uses for 'skipped' classes. Nothing less, and nothing more. To encourage participation by not punishing these kids or to discourage participation by applying harsher penalties only exposes the school to risk of litigation. Do not politicize our schools.

Image for post Students who participate in the National School Walkout Day should be subject to the discipline the school currently uses for 'skipped' classes. Nothing less, and nothing more. To encourage participation by not punishing these kids or to discourage participation by applying harsher penalties only exposes the school to risk of litigation.   Do not politicize our schools.
VicZincs avatar Education
5 24

Kudos to all the students that take part in this walk out. And no, they should not be punished for doing what's right. Hopefully the teachers will walk out with them.

All the schools I know of have put out flyers so that the kids can protest if they want

Sort of like pep rally where you can go if you want

I think they should be able to protest but skipping school will just make them feel like they can skip whenever they want to press a political point. Sorry kids life isn't going to go your way all the time.

I agree they should be subject to discipline ... but on the theory that if they are not, then they aren't really willing to sacrifice anything for their beliefs.

Schools are the government. The government is political. Therefore, schools are political. AMIRITE?

I disagree.

Since it is school students who are most often the victims of these mass shootings, and since it's inside schools where these horrific crimes take place, holding a 17 minute walk out is perfectly reasonable.

In fact we adults can take a lesson. How many school shootings have there been? How long did it take for the issue to fade from the media, and the public discourse following each one? Those kids have managed to keep this discussion going longer than any other group. Perhaps we should have all walked out of work years ago.

@Chris_the_Demon I disagree. Since it is school students who are most often the victims of these mass shootings, and since it's...

I think they should have done it, and many did. But I think the stronger lesson would have been to give them all detention. It would have taught them the price of freedom and it would have given the cause more mileage in both the press and the hearts of the public.

I suppose that depends on when they walk out and for how long.

If think if they leave after 10am they'll have already been counted present and thus cannot be counted absent for the entire day only for a specific class, or classes.

Baltimore is providing taxpayer paid buses for the walkout. Talk about that word that Trump used for less desirable places in the world.......
americanmilitarynews.com/2018/03/baltimore-mayor...

I didn't Agree simply because I'm suspicious of your motive - how you will twist things around.

The kiddies need to get back to their studies. There are fixes being implemented except in blue political areas where bitching and moaning are more important than actually fixing a problem.

@VicZinc My motive is the same as always. Fair play.

OK, I've agreed.

I'm still suspicious of your motive - how you will twist things around.

@Budwick OK, I've agreed. I'm still suspicious of your motive - how you will twist things around.

Our youth deserve a solid lesson in civics. There is a price for freedom. Free speech and the right to protest are only guaranteed if we are willing to pay the price. If that price is detention or imprisonment or death, it must be paid so others can experience freedom.

@VicZinc Our youth deserve a solid lesson in civics. There is a price for freedom. Free speech and the right to protest...

Well, imprisonment or death or sounds a bit severe for skipping class - but, it's refreshing to see your hyperbole again.

@Budwick Well, imprisonment or death or sounds a bit severe for skipping class - but, it's refreshing to see your hyperbole...

It does but it wouldn't be the first person, or student, who died in the march to secure our rights to protest.

@VicZinc It does but it wouldn't be the first person, or student, who died in the march to secure our rights to protest.

Yeah, well I'll tell you what, if they bring an electric chair or gallows into the high schools, I join your concern.

@Budwick Yeah, well I'll tell you what, if they bring an electric chair or gallows into the high schools, I join your concern.

Well besides Kent State, there's Tiananmen Square, Tlatelolco, Soweto, Athens polytecnic, and many others. Sadly governments don't need gallows to suppress the voice of student protest.

@VicZinc Well besides Kent State, there's Tiananmen Square, Tlatelolco, Soweto, Athens polytecnic, and many others. Sadly...

So - wait, what?
It sounds like you're doing a 180 from your original premise.

Are we getting to the part about why I was suspicious of your motive? Where you reveal the complete dishonesty of your original post?

As far as I know all the little bitch sessions have been tame and civilized. Does your anitfa group have something more sinister planned?

@Budwick So - wait, what? It sounds like you're doing a 180 from your original premise. Are we getting to the part...

You know what Bud? Buzz off!

Since when have you advocated that freedom is free and a automatic rights with no sacrifice due? I just want to teach these kids that they need to own up to their decision to skip class to participate in a protest. This not a 'freebie'. If you to want to keep making it something more than that, have fun. I am out.

@VicZinc You know what Bud? Buzz off! Since when have you advocated that freedom is free and a automatic rights with no...

And, I agreed. But then you slip in shit like Kent State, there's Tienanmen Square implying that their protests are ultimately going to lead to their death.

You escalated - not me.