+15

I just read about a Jr High Science teacher in Idaho, who fed a live puppy to his snapping turtle in front of his students. That's pretty sick and disturbing to me.

It's tough to even express how much acts of sadism like this outrages me.

PRESTON, ID (RNN) – A junior high school science teacher is under investigation after he allegedly fed a puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students.

A local animal activist filed an animal cruelty complaint, KSTU reports, triggering an investigation into the incident by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said Preston Junior High science teacher Robert Crosland fed a live puppy to a reptile last week. The puppy was reportedly sick, according to KSTU.

In a news release, Preston School District 201 Superintendent Marc Gee said the district was made aware of the “regrettable circumstance” on March 7. Gee said the event occurred after school and was not part of a school-directed program.

Crosland has not been cited or charged in the matter, nor has he been placed on leave, according to KSTU.

“While the district certainly does not condone individual actions that may violate district policy or reasonable expectations of behavior, we hope that any errors in judgement made by a teacher in this instance will not cause us to forget the years of care, effort, and passion the teacher has given to students in Preston School District,” Gee wrote.

Here is the email link to the school. I sent them my "thoughts".
curtis.jenson@psd201.org

Teacher probed for allegedly feeding puppy to snapping turtleLocal authorities in Idaho are reportedly investigating after a middle school teacher made what the school district called a “regrettable” decision by allegedly feeding a live dog to a turtle. The …https://nypost.com/2018/03/12/teacher-probed-for-allegedly-feeding-puppy-to-snapping-turtle/
JustJimColos avatar Education
6 49

What is almost as sick and disturbing to me, is that some of the students and parents think it is somehow better or okay, if the puppy was sick or "deformed".

Nor do I think that feeding live captive animals to another one in captivity, has much to do with teaching students about the "circle of life".

I can't even think while reading this...:(

Outrageous.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Behavior like that is a red flag. He needs to be seriously analyzed before returning to society, let alone the class room.

I'm surprised anything surprises me.

I have just learned something that I wished I had stayed ignorant about. Even the smallest and sweetest of animals is not spared from man's cruelty.

My mother, while in college, had two male friends smuggle out a kitten from a science lab where it was to be euthanized and dissected. I can't believe that none of the "kids" made an effort to save this baby canine.

I have nothing further to add except to say that there is a special place in hell for that "science" teacher, and I hope a snapping turtle is waiting.

Read yesterday, where that heartless asshole got off without so much as a slap on his hand.

I don't know what it is going to take for us to start respecting the lives of animals. A miracle?

@dru18 Read yesterday, where that heartless asshole got off without so much as a slap on his hand. I don't know what it...

Certain groups of people will always be above the law Dru, and not be held accountable for their actions........ Teachers just happen to one of them.

@JustJimColo Certain groups of people will always be above the law Dru, and not be held accountable for their actions...

Agreed, Jim. Teachers get by with murder, literally in this case.

Since they are the ones who are molding young people, I don't have much hope for this world.

"Three former students told reporters that Crosland had conducted in-class feedings in the past, using guinea pigs as offerings for both snakes and snapping turtles."

The only reason people are complaining, is because it was a dog. Nobody complained when it was guinea pigs. And I'm guessing he also used live mice/rats ... commonly sold by pet stores, just to be fed to snakes.

Sure, I love dogs. But they are no more or less intelligent than many of the other animals we eat. Hell, octopi are among the most intelligent animals - yet we think nothing of eating them.

@Walt_OReagun "Three former students told reporters that Crosland had conducted in-class feedings in the past, using guinea pigs...

There are also strict laws about how we kill the animals we eat. Torturing an animal is just wrong. Also turtles don't eat dogs in their natural environment. Granted, some people own snakes and feed them live mice. I don't think a Jr High school setting was appropriate to demonstrate the sadism of watching a dog be tortured to death for the teachers enjoyment. Kids emulate what they see. Who's to say pouring gasoline on a cat and setting it on fire shouldn't be acceptable behavior, if this is considered acceptable?

@JustJimColo There are also strict laws about how we kill the animals we eat. Torturing an animal is just wrong. Also turtles...

I'm just saying if you pause to think of some of the ways we kill animals we eat ... even though it is legal, it is still torture. EG: non "free range" livestock. Or legal hunting, if the animal is not killed immediately.

(I'm not about to give up meat anytime soon, but I can see where vegans/vegetarians come from.)

When I was in freshman year of high school, the biology teacher was raising an orphaned 'possum. Kids would come in on their lunch breaks to help take care of it ... feeding, cleaning the cage, etc. At the end of the year, one of her classes had to watch the 'possum killed with a blow to the head and dissected. >> Science teachers can be a weird bunch.

@Walt_OReagun I'm just saying if you pause to think of some of the ways we kill animals we eat ... even though it is legal, it is...

I'm a hunter and I've never met anyone who hunts who doesn't try to get a clean kill. I've never mat a hunter who intentionally just wounds an animal over and over, prolonging the misery.

@JustJimColo I'm a hunter and I've never met anyone who hunts who doesn't try to get a clean kill. I've never mat a hunter who...

I dislike hunters who sit in a tree with corn on the ground,waiting for a deer.
That is not a sport.

@JustJimColo In most states, that's illegal.

Can anyone tell me why in Walmarts sporting center ,they sell 50 lb bags of corn?
It doesn't seem right to me.

@hootowl Can anyone tell me why in Walmarts sporting center ,they sell 50 lb bags of corn? It doesn't seem right to me.

Some people don't follow the laws.... I kind of used corn, the year "before" I started hunting deer. The deer got 85% of my corn crop that year on my farm. I started deer hunting the next year.

I am against "baiting", and I am against trophy hunting. When I let people hunt on my property, I demand they shoot a deer, even if it's a doe, or they can't come back. If they get a nice buck, that's fine, but I want them to be hunting for the meat and herd control, not for something they can put on a wall.

True, and birds. Guinea pigs and birds, fed to his captive snake(s) and snapping turtles(s), according to what students said they'd seen or heard. There was never any "outrage" over it, that I know of.

The very selective outrage, or caring about how certain kinds animals are treated, is undeniable.
http://www.amirite.com/788209-y...es-you-like-to

In the meantime...the snapping turtle has been seized by Idaho officials and allegedly "euthanized". :/

@Piper2 True, and birds. Guinea pigs and birds, fed to his captive snake(s) and snapping turtles(s), according to what...

You are correct.

Piper, as you know I love all animals. I am the one who runs behind my cat and yells "drop it, drop it!" when she has caught something.

And I have always been against any kind of science lab experiment involving animals.

But the fact that dogs have been domesticated for over 10,000 years to be a companion animal, and this one was such a baby, does seem to fuel the fire more.

@dru18 You are correct. Piper, as you know I love all animals. I am the one who runs behind my cat and yells "drop it...

Idaho Law: 5. The possession, importation, shipping or transportation of live red-eared slider turtles and snapping turtles is prohibited without a permit.
http://www.nauti-lasscritters.com/state-idaho.html

Well yeah, I know I am. So is the individual getting blasted in the comments above.

Really Dru, I only know for sure how I feel about all animals, since my first memories.

I'm glad to say, that I never had a science teacher who thought feeding live animals to another captive creature, was necessary for students to learn about "the circle of life". I skipped class in high school, when frogs were going to be killed and dissected...

@Piper2 Well yeah, I know I am. So is the individual getting blasted in the comments above. Really Dru, I only know...

The person above is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Yes, I am pretty sure we ALL know that some societies look at companion animals a little different than we do.

I am also very aware of the 4hclub since I had many friends who participated.

But as I stated; anyone who equates the slaughtering of farm animals to put food on their tables with the tortuous death of a puppy, is somehow missing something.

And yes, Piper, with all of the threads I have posted, not to mention the PM's, I am very much a animal person.

@dru18 The person above is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Yes, I am pretty sure we ALL know...

Perhaps, but I happen to think he has a valid point. Not one that had to be brought up on this particular post, but still valid.

I completely understand why people are more "outraged" about a live puppy being fed to a snapping turtle, Dru, than they were about birds and guinea pigs, or the suffering of animals they like to eat. Many people would have been outraged if it had been a kitten, too.

I am very aware of the 4H club sort of things, as well. It's always been weird to me, than someone could raise and become fond of an animal, and then smilingly send it off to slaughter.

Okay, back to the specific subject of this post....
From one of the latest articles I've found about this incident and teacher:

"A mother of two of the three boys in the classroom when the feeding happened told the Preston Citizen that the story has been blown out of proportion.

“'If anyone has a right to be upset, it is me,” Farahlyn Hansen told the paper. “I am not upset. I felt like it was the more humane thing for Robert to do than to just leave it (the puppy) to die…The puppy was dying.'”
She also told the newspaper that the puppy had been rejected by its mother."
wt smilie

@Piper2 Perhaps, but I happen to think he has a valid point. Not one that had to be brought up on this...

Piper, I grew up on a farm, butchered animals for food etc etc. If you or I had tied a puppy, kitten or any other living domestic animal, sick or healthy, to a tree to watch it get killed and eaten by a predator, for entertainment, we would have been arrested.

I didn't even mind that this teacher had a reptile in his classroom. He could have just as easily went down to the local (small town) grocery store and they would have routinely given him outdated meats like roasts to feed his animals for free. I've had to put down sick animals in the past, farm animals as well as pets, and I've always done it as quickly and humanely as possible.

@JustJimColo Piper, I grew up on a farm, butchered animals for food etc etc. If you or I had tied a puppy, kitten or any other...

Okay, Jim. I grew up as a military dependent. Some of my relatives had and have farms, though..

We absolutely agree that purposely subjecting any kind of animal to such suffering, is just ethically wrong, I think.

I couldn't agree more about the 4H club mentality.

Years ago, my sister and her husband bought a baby heifer with the understanding she would be slaughtered one day.

They named her Tillie and the kids loved her. She could fetch the Frisbee, and would greet them when they got off the bus.

Needless to say, many years later, Tillie is still with them. LOL! She is family.

The mother's an idiot and idiots are a dime a dozen.

If the puppy was sick than the 'humane' thing to do is to take it to a vet for treatment, or have it put to sleep.

Becoming a meal for a snapping turtle is not a fast or easy death.

I think they're all nuts.

@dru18 I couldn't agree more about the 4H club mentality. Years ago, my sister and her husband bought a baby heifer with...

There is a cat I named Elsa, asleep on her favorite perch. I sort of inherited her, 10 years ago. When I first saw her, she had been rejected by her mother when her eyes weren't even open. A woman who was employed by the company I worked for, watched all day to see if the mother would come back, then finally took the tiny kitten home and did everything she could to make sure "Lucky" survived.

Too long...there is NOTHING remotely "humane", of course, about about feeding any live animal to another.

@Piper2 There is a cat I named Elsa, asleep on her favorite perch. I sort of inherited her, 10 years ago. When I first...

Lucky was indeed blessed for having two good people enter her life. I am glad she ended up with you and had a long and happy life.

I agree. Since we interfered I can't even call it 'nature'.

I didn't hear the euthanizing part, just that he was seized. That's not fair to euthanize that animal. And of course, the "human" who is behind all of this will probably only get a slap on the wrist.

You're right Walt!

Let's plan a field trip for the kids next week. We'll take 'em to the slaughter house!

@Budwick You're right Walt! Let's plan a field trip for the kids next week. We'll take 'em to the slaughter house!

Nothing wrong with that.
In fact, it would be a good education for most students.
Maybe people should be more aware of where their food comes from. That it's not just nicely-packaged at the store.

Not much different from how the 4H / FFA kids learn from raising then slaughtering livestock.

Or what I learned growing up, from watching my neighbor slaughter their pigs.

@Walt_OReagun Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it would be a good education for most students. Maybe people should be more aware...

I get it Walt.
But do you actually think taking the kids to a place like that is good education? Or, more shocking trauma to ensure less meat consumption?

@Budwick I get it Walt. But do you actually think taking the kids to a place like that is good education? Or, more...

By high school, they should be mentally mature enough. After all, they have to dissect animals in biology class.

@Walt_OReagun By high school, they should be mentally mature enough. After all, they have to dissect animals in biology class.

Either you've never been yourself or you've lost your soul. There are worlds of difference between biology class and wholesale slaughter.

@Budwick Either you've never been yourself or you've lost your soul. There are worlds of difference between biology class...

When I attended elementary school ... we were taken on field trips to dairy farms, once a year.

In middle school ... we were taken on field trips to local farms/ranches. Part of the tour included the slaughter house, for those who wanted to see.

Who the hell equates the slaughtering of farm animals for food, to the torturing of a baby companion animal?!

You're as nutty as that teacher.

@dru18 Who the hell equates the slaughtering of farm animals for food, to the torturing of a baby companion...

You never heard of veal?
Nor heard of the "torture" that is modern ranching?

I also guess you never participated in 4H or FFA, or raised chickens. Those animals are as much "companions" as a dog.

BTW - the indigenous tribes kept dogs as "companions", but had no compunction about eating them.

@Walt_OReagun You never heard of veal? Nor heard of the "torture" that is modern ranching? I also guess you never participated...

You are falling on your ass and only embarrassing yourself.

But that's okay,somebody who's okay with this story, (as you obviously are) didn't have far to go to reach the bottom. You were pretty much already there.

@dru18 You are falling on your ass and only embarrassing yourself. But that's okay,somebody who's okay with this story...

Yet you are the one who has to resort to weak personal attacks when you can't have a rational discussion.

@Walt_OReagun Yet you are the one who has to resort to weak personal attacks when you can't have a rational discussion.

There is absolutely nothing "rational" in your words.

I have stated that your comparisons are deeply flawed and disturbing, and yet, you have learned nothing.

I doubt you ever will.

What?!

I'm glad he was reported.