What's the most historic item that you own? How much do you think it's worth?

doctorwho1011s avatar Jokes & Humour
10 29

I have a lot of family photos that are well over 100 years old. Doubt if they are worth much to anyone but me. Here's my beloved grandmother around 1905.

@2733095

I'm so sorry you lost those precious keepsakes! cry smilie

My wife has a huge, ornate family bible from the 1870s. Not sure how much it is worth to anyone outside the family.

@2733175

Now that's pretty cool.

A dinning room buffet what belonged to my great grandparents from about 1890. No clue what it's worth in dollars but it will never be for sale.

I dont know about own but the most historical thing I've ever found was an empty rimfire cartridge that had "H" on the primer. I assume it's very old since I found it when digging in the countryside many years ago. I also found an old grenade in the river, it was probably defective, it was hollow on the inside. It looks like an MK II grenade but I doubt it since what the hell would that be doing in a Bulgarian river.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I dont know about own but the most historical thing I've ever found was an empty rimfire cartridge that had "H" on...

That hollow grenade you found is most likely a practice grenade. I got one of those, but mine isn't threaded on the hollow end.

@Azlotto That hollow grenade you found is most likely a practice grenade. I got one of those, but mine isn't threaded on the...

If a defective grenade that spent decades in water will it have anything inside? As far as I could inspect it there was a cylinder like space in it, that's what I meant. It didnt have space up to the squares.

A 1912 gold sovereign.Not a lot.Image in content

I have a photograph of a great, great, great Uncle who fought in the Civil War.

Also I have some antique dishes that my mother-in-law passed down to me, which are very old. Plus, a gold bracelet that was my great grandmother's that she received when she was in the 8th grade..... that one is very old, and I cherish it. They are all priceless.

An M1 Garand rifle with matching serial numbers.
What it's worth? I don't know, but I turned down a $1,500 US offer.

Historical item it is:
"In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.” - General George S. Patton.

I have a newspaper dated January 4th 1800 announcing the death of General Washington. It is all bordered in black, and they wrote about his funeral and his legacy. I have no idea what it is worth though.

My house. Built in 1865 (the year Lincoln was assassinated.) It was the first house on the street which is named after the original owner. French Mansard style. It's worth more than most 4 bed, 2 bath houses in the area because of its style, history, and the fact that we keep it nice. Houses in this town are cheaper than most places.

My other half has an Olympic Torch that she has insured for £20k

My old house. It was built sometime between 1900 and 1910, they can't decide when. Some of the rooms were repapered in 1918 and we have left a couple of rooms as they were. So, some of the rooms have wallpaper that is around 100 years old.
We are the third owners and the house means more to us than the going rate of real estate.