+15

You have free speech. But you do not have 'free platform to speak from' nor 'free audience to listen to you'. The first amendment does not mean you can freely speak wherever and whenever you like. It simply means that, assuming you can find an audience, you cannot be arrested for what you say. It doesn't mean we have to be that audience.

Image for post You have free speech.  But you do not have //'free platform to speak from'// nor //'free audience to listen to you'//.  The first amendment does not mean you can freely speak wherever and whenever you like.  It simply means that, assuming you can find an audience, you cannot be arrested for what you say.  It doesn't mean we have to be that audience.
VicZincs avatar Law
7 22

Isn't open-air preaching is protected by the first amendment? I remember seeing a news story of a Muslim woman "preaching" anti-Western ideology on a Manhattan street around the time a ground zero mosque was being debated. Even though I detested what she was saying I defended her right to do so against family members who felt she should have somehow been silenced. Perhaps I was wrong.

@PhilboydStudge Isn't open-air preaching is protected by the first amendment? I remember seeing a news story of a Muslim woman...

Sure. But no one needs to let her into their home, place of business or auditorium to speak. Nor are they compeled to stop and listen while she speaks outside.

If Twitter or FB tell her she cannot speak in their forums, it is not illegal.

On the other hand, as Bozette pointed out, a college campus might be required to provide a stage, if properly petitioned and if they have a history of doing so for other speakers. Particularly if they receive federal funding.

@VicZinc Sure. But no one needs to let her into their home, place of business or auditorium to speak. Nor are they compeled...

Yeah, that's why they constantly hassle conservative speakers at university - where they celebrate diversity, [as long as it supports progressive ideology.]

@Budwick Yeah, that's why they constantly hassle conservative speakers at university - where they celebrate diversity, [as...

Take that up with the supreme court. I cannot answer for the leadership of any university.

@VicZinc Take that up with the supreme court. I cannot answer for the leadership of any university.

No, no - of course not! It's YOUR job to pretend that the university is fair, balanced and has no political bias - just a place of learning.

Good boy! Here's a cookie.

@Budwick No, no - of course not! It's YOUR job to pretend that the university is fair, balanced and has no political bias -...

Don't be ridiculous. Some are, some aren't. When I got my MBA the university was very right wing and ultra conservative. For my BA in mathematics that school was very liberal and loaded with socialist.

Clearly some schools are going way overboard to coddle their students while others are teaching 'Chicago School' economics and even creationism.

We have a law in my State that requires anyone who's protesting in this kind of way to be a certain distance from any businesses that consider themselves to have trade reduced due to the person out the front preaching etc. I guess if they relocated themselves every few minutes they could get around this law but I haven't seen it enforced for about 5 years now.

There are several types of speech which are not protected by the First Amendment.

Incitement to commit unlawful acts.

Blackmail.

Perjury.

Obscenity.

True threats.

Defamation (libel and slander)

Treason.

Child pornography.

Solicitations to commit crimes.

But that still leaves people with plenty of crap to spew out. And they do. All the time.

puke smilie

You can be arrested for what you say. Some opinions/attitudes, even with an audience, if it demonstrate a threat to innocent people, that might get the police or the FBI making some visits.

I have seen the attitude that you speak a lot on the internet. It's a misguided assumption. Much like the one that people can't talk back.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply

Our crayons had one called flesh, too dark as my skin was just white as can be. So , I remember I always just colored a black form with no skin color - thinking back it must have looked like crime scene on floors. I did get to pick whatever hair or eye color I picked out. So I guess I noticed flesh crayons didn't really work well.

Though we do have Amirite and it's free. It's a free platform that comes with a free audience but I agree completely with your point.

Evidently there is no free speech on this site, according to a certain OP. I gave my opinion about liars in the White House and was blocked. And a conservative put up a graphic depicting Liberal women, and nothing was done about his comments, was even thanked and upvoted.

My comment was the truth on a liar post. So since this is a free speech post, I'll say what was misconstrued before:

My previous comments.......I'm laughing at some of these comments, judging others for lying when in fact everyone of us has lied at one time or another, here and in reality, and anyone that says differently, just told a big fat lie. And yet here they are judging others for doing exactly what they have done. Rather hypocritical I would think.

What is more baffling to me is those that condemn liars are OK with the lies that come out of the highest office in our land every day. And they defend those lies....wonder why?

I gave an opinion, a true fact, and was blocked because of it. Guess the truth hurts.

That's how petty some people are around here. Rather thin skinned, don't you think?

@Thinkerbell Blockers don't like being contradicted, especially so if the contradiction has factual merit.

I agree Thinkerbell. What I said was the truth, and evidently some can't handle the truth.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Starz if they block you you just don't need them.

That's true Lorraine, it's their loss, not mine. Blocks don't really matter, do they? lol

@StarzAbove That's true Lorraine, it's their loss, not mine. Blocks don't really matter, do they? lol

Starz Sure they can block you but you don't know them personally so let them go at it - plenty of less critical people here for sure . I kinda like trump but that will not mean I can't read and consider other opinions