+1

Modern art isn't "bold" or "inspiring" it's uncreative and effortless.

The standards have gotten so low that "invisible art" is considered a thing. We must save art!

Image for post Modern art isn't "bold" or "inspiring" it's uncreative and effortless.
Get_the_Layss avatar
6 22

I operate on the theory that if I could make it, it's not art. Great art is beauty expressed through great artistic talent.

Here's a sculpture by Michaelangelo, I know it's great art because it's beautiful and it obviously required exquisite talent to create it.

@2733358

Yes, I'm not an artist, yet I believe I could create that image, therefore I consider it essentially worthless.
There are few Warhol images I don't believe I could replicate, most of them are just garishly colorized photos.
This piece approaches the level of real art, but it's still quite crudely formed and based on a photo.

@Maze Yes, I'm not an artist, yet I believe I could create that image, therefore I consider it essentially worthless...

If I can't tell who the subject is supposed to be - it is nothing better than the children's stuff on the fridge.

I probably have a lot more liberal definition of "art" than most, but yes, even I have my limits. The Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY had a painting I believe was called "White on White". It was literally just a white canvas. If the artist's intent was to insult my intelligence, mission accomplished.

@2733564

They would think evolution was going backwards. o_o smilie

Art can be anything...

@Sukiesnow Art can be anything...

Reminds me of an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where the family takes an RV to Burning Man.

Eldest son Reese:
I always used to think art was just stupid paintings of old, dead guys in drag, but I was wrong! Art can be doing something.. or even undoing something. Like the time I blew up the Mueller's mailbox. That was art and I didn't even know it.

As soon as they get their Hal spreads out some fake AstroTurf by the side of the van, fires up the grill and offers the "best hamburgers and dogs you've every tasted" to a few people (stereotypical hippy-dippies), and they conclude he must be a performance artist.

Person 1: What's he doing?
Person 2: It's performance art... He's skewering the empty banality of the modern suburban dad.
Person 1: This guy's good.

Sorry, I love that show.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vj3xp

As a digital artist, I will agree and disagree. I like modern art that’s original. My art follows no trend and is only modern by dint of media.

I don't know of any modern art that is good enough to display.

A large fraction of contemporary "art" is crap, sometimes literally so. wary smilie