+12

It is the day after St. Patrick's and speaking of the Irish, I would like to point out that Sinead O'Connor was absolutely right 16 years ago about child abuse and the pope, but so many people dismissed her because she was a woman who had the audacity to shave her own head, and they somehow found that more offensive than the church covering for pedophiles.

Image for post It is the day after St. Patrick's and speaking of the Irish, I would like to point out that Sinead O'Connor was absolutely right 16 years ago about child abuse and the pope, but so many people dismissed her because she was a woman who had the audacity to shave her own head, and they somehow found that more offensive than the church covering for pedophiles.
VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
3 12

I completely agree. If you look back at what she was saying at the time it's similar to dozens of things I have read since.

It must be acknowledged what was done to us so we can forgive and be free. If the truth remains hidden then the brutality under which I grew up will continue for thousands of Irish children. And I must by any means necessary WITHOUT the use of violence prevent that happening because I am a Christian.
Sinead O'Connor

She has been vindicated.

Do you think she could have delivered her message in a better way - without tearing up a picture of then Pope John Paul II on and saying, "fight the real enemy" on SNL? Perhaps a more subtle wouldn't get the attention she felt it deserved.

@2734689

Wrong.

This post is not about the actions "within" any religion, it is about the mainstream being afraid of people who don't follow the expected norms,

like the lack of respect for women who shave their heads, are "lezbo"s or are "priests".

Nice job proving the point. Thanks, and have a great day.

@VicZinc Wrong. This post is not about the actions "within" any religion, it is about the mainstream being afraid of people...

Yeah, nothing at all about 'the church' or the Pope in this post,... well except for the mention of the church and the Pope.

@Budwick Yeah, nothing at all about 'the church' or the Pope in this post,... well except for the mention of the church and...

There is no question that the church and the Pope (at the time) were guilty. This post is not about that. It is about the dismissal of O'Connor's assertion, that there was a problem.

Like the people who twist every post I make to try to pretend it about them and their belief systems, instead of accepting that it is a legitimate call for action to stop an injustice.

@VicZinc There is no question that the church and the Pope (at the time) were guilty. This post is not about that. It is...

Vic, you DO twist shit around.

Who allegedly dismissed her claims? Why bring it up now? Why mention the church or the Pope? Why not General Motors or Kroger Foods? Which straw people are you targeting here?

@Budwick Vic, you DO twist shit around. Who allegedly dismissed her claims? Why bring it up now? Why mention the church...

Very clearly the OP states that I brought it up because it was the day after St. Pat's and I was reminiscing about the Irish folks. I was thinking about that Irish priest who trying to get me to pull my pants down and about how Sinead was ostracized for speaking out in such a public forum.

I would be happy to comment on a post regarding GM if you post one, and I promise not to accuse you of pretending it is about GM when in fact it is about some other unrelated bullshit.

@VicZinc Very clearly the OP states that I brought it up because it was the day after St. Pat's and I was reminiscing about...

I see.

Well, today is the vernal equinox, and speaking of spring, Planned Parenthood sucks for selling baby parts. [That transition makes just as much sense as the "OP's"]