Is it sensible to call even flimsy activities such as biggest cakes made, staying inside a glass cabin with poisonous snakes etc as records? The credibility of record certifying companies such as Guinness Book of Records are doubtful.

Records of global or national importance only must be recognized as world records. Often very trivial activities are branded as records and glorified. This smacks of poor mentality to assess the importance any human activity.Records in the sports arena such as Olympics etc are of no use to the mankind as sports are meant for physical fitness and recreation. Such records cause only cut throat competition leading to negation of sportsmanship.

ezhils avatar Jokes & Humour
1 43

I don't have a problem with what people want to do while wasting their time. If they want to make the biggest donut in the world, fine. If they want to buy the Guinness Book of World Records, that's fine too. Personally, I don't have an interest in making huge donuts or reading the book. :)

@Will_Janitor I don't have a problem with what people want to do while wasting their time. If they want to make the biggest...

We should not become complacent that all is well. We should analyse what is happening around us because every activity will have some bearing on every other person.

@ezhil Thanks.

I'm all for the legalization of weed but you've got to practice moderation dude.

@ezhil Let us not hesitate to call an ass ass

I guess. Might as well call things what they are. It sure beats the Hell out of political correctness.

@ezhil What is your political correctness?

It's the way in which people sugarcoat the things that they say and do based on what is considered to be acceptable by the liberals. For instance: it used to be acceptable to call the person who delivered the mail the "mailman." So as not to hurt the feelings of the female mail carrier, we are urged to just call them mail carriers. Any trade with the word "man" in it is thus changed. It's complicated and covers many areas besides, such as sexual identity, race, religion or lack thereof.
It's foolish.

here is wikipedia's explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...al_correctness

@JerryHendrickson It's the way in which people sugarcoat the things that they say and do based on what is considered to be acceptable...

Let us talk about the original view about the world records which are often silly and just gimmicks, not having any relevance or use. Populist stunts and feats may bring some amusement but cannot be considered as great human endeavors worthy of mention.

@2734731

Yes such feats are idiotic!
The only sensible goal of sports is fitness. All other goals are misguided ones indulged in by those who cannot do anything worthwhile, leading to problems such as cut throat competition, physical ailments in the sports persons etc.

@2735080

No one wants to dictate to others on how to earn their bread and fame. But the point lost here is the fact that all these records and the so called achievements are useful to no one other than the achiever. It speaks about their level.

@2735468

All of us may do some things which are of no use to others but we don't claim Guinness Record certificate for such acts.

@2736969

I am happy that you have accepted that Guinness is a business.Records of business people cannot vouch for the genuineness of it. Nothing is a personal. Every thing on earth has something to do with others. Le us not simply ignore this fact.

Some records, I can understand being interesting. The worlds tallest person or the number of most pushups are examples. Then there is the guy who gets in the record book for spinning a basketball on a toothbrush while holding it in his mouth for exactly 22.41 seconds

@JustJimColo Some records, I can understand being interesting. The worlds tallest person or the number of most pushups are...

It is alright .But making it a great feat and making money out of it is not a dignified activity.

They can have a record for anything they want and it won't bother me one bit. If it bothers you, you're way too easily bothered. I disagree with your entire description. Records have no effect on anything at all but those achieving them. Competition is a good thing; without it we wouldn't progress.

@JerryHendrickson They can have a record for anything they want and it won't bother me one bit. If it bothers you, you're way too...

Competition with monetary rewards has caused immense harm to the sports activity. People have made it their profession. What progress these records have achieved?

@ezhil Competition with monetary rewards has caused immense harm to the sports activity. People have made it their...

Who gives a shit? Only you.
If they can earn a living by setting World's record it's absolutely none of your damn business.

@JerryHendrickson Who gives a shit? Only you. If they can earn a living by setting World's record it's absolutely none of your damn...

Setting a world record, which is no use to others, for a living is not a dignified way of living. Very very mean!

@JerryHendrickson Quit yer damn sniveling. You're just jealous.

I am not a competitor for all those so called great records. Why should be jealous? Let us not glorify mean acts as records which will send a wrong signal to our children.

@JerryHendrickson You should probably stop smoking cat shit.

I feel sad that I have to deal with people like you. Being an open forum any Tom, Dick and Harry can enter the discussion.

@JerryHendrickson

I don't have time to watch your video, You can write whatever you want to convey

@ezhil I don't have time to watch your video, You can write whatever you want to convey

But it's very funny; I'm sure that you will laugh. You should watch it, believe me. I still laugh after watching it many times.

@JerryHendrickson But it's very funny; I'm sure that you will laugh. You should watch it, believe me. I still laugh after watching...

Even the Charlie Chaplin comedies make me feel that they are for children and not for mature adults. The acts in such films appear awkward and disgusting for me.

@ezhil I feel sad that I have to deal with people like you. Being an open forum any Tom, Dick and Harry can enter the...

Feel glad that people like Jerry are willing to take the time to speak to you at all!

What's your problem with records anyway - because it glorifies the .... INDIVIDUAL? If the Grand Pubah Dictator didn't do it - it's not worth doing?