Is it right for teachers, schools and the media to use children who are supposed to be in class, to promote their political agendas?

What bothers me about the protests are the motivations behind the protests, and where the massive amount of money is coming from to fund these protests. There is pressure being placed on kids to participate by those organizing and coordinating these “protests”. This includes teachers and school officials. The organizers are “using” children to promote their agenda of banning guns. This has nothing to do with making schools safer. It is just a move to further the agenda of getting rid of 2nd Amendment rights.
Today, there seems to be a wave of organized protests using children as young as grade schoolers. In a time when high school students struggle to pay for prom tickets, I find it interesting that these “kids” are receiving huge amounts money to protest from people such as George Clooney,(500K) Oprah, (500K) Soros, move on dot org, and other extremest organizations. Harry Styles, Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber, have also shown their support by signing a petition created by the "March for Our Lives" organizers that calls for action to end gun violence and protect schools.
The media is also fully engaged in promoting and using children for their political agendas. (Where were they in all the prior school shootings?)
There is another protest planned following the walkout called “March For Our Lives,” the march will be held in Washington, D.C. on March 24, with satellite events taking place across the country and internationally.
There will also be another school walkout on April 20, to mark the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting.
I find it disturbing that they are "using" our children as pawns. It also angers me when I think of what they are indoctrinating our kids with behind closed doors.

36% Yes 56% No 5% I don't care 3% Other
JustJimColos avatar Politics
6 63

Neither is it right for teachers, schools and media to use children that choose NOT to participate in walkouts to punish children to support their political agendas.

@2734817

Yes, I would. I don't think children should be "used" for ANY political agenda, be it gun rights, pro abortion, pro choice, pro LGBT, or anti LGBT, Pro Trump, Anti Trump, or any other political agenda. Children should be taught about the political process and how it is supposed to work. Not who they should vote for. I taught my children my values at home, just as I am sure those with opposing views taught their children at home. The role of teachers and schools is to educate, not indoctrinate.

@2734820

I am ALL for teens to express themselves. If they had done it after school, or on a weekend at no expense to the taxpayers, I wouldn't have a problem with it. (Other than funding coming from national political groups, on either side of an issue) Like "adults" they would still be required to get the appropriate permits, pay for the venues etc etc.
Lets be honest. How many "kids" would have shown up for a protest on a Saturday afternoon? Let's also throw in that it should be organized, and funded only by the children and there wouldn't be any celebrities in attendance. The kids also wouldn't get any extra credit from teachers for attending.

I don't see this as kids protesting as much as I see it as adults "using" kids to protest.

@2734817

Funding a walkout has also included busing kids at taxpayer expense to DC. These "walkouts" aren't walkouts. They are political rallies. Ever see a free political rally?

As a matter of fact, it should be a crime.

@JerryHendrickson As a matter of fact, it should be a crime.

I don't know why we bother trying to convince the idiots of anything Jim. They argue against common sense every damn time. Sometimes it really pisses me off. I wish they'd just disappear, go to some non-existent fairy tail land where everyone is a pansy ass. They're brainless.

@JerryHendrickson It's frustrating.

Yes it is Jerry. If the students were protesting in favor of a right wing ideology, they would be screaming against it. If it's for left wing, they scream for it. How do you convince people that people entrusted with the care and education of our children, shouldn't be doing it at all, for either sides agenda. When people support "using" children, they really don't care about the children at all.

@2734914

Then what is your answer to the violence in the schools and in the streets? A realistic one Linn....

@2735069

What is the answer to fix the problem then Lynn? It seems like nobody can give a realistic answer but everyone is ready to criticize any ideas that are thrown on the table.
Why would they use semi automatic "assault rifles", in those areas when the criminals there have (illegal) fully automatic machine guns? As to poorer areas, I know a lot of farming communities that are a lot poorer than the inner cities and they don't have the problems of massive violence. The excuse of living in a poor neighborhood is just an "excuse" to avoid responsibility and to get a free pass.

This comment was deleted.
@2734919

The entire system IS an agenda and the teachers are no more to blame than the children. They've been indoctrinated into Socialism just as the children have. What's "stupid" choosing not to see it.

@2734919

Just trying to figure whose sock you are. You've been a member on the site for an hour. You've already edited your gender, sexual preference, country, etc etc. and posted over 40 times.
I guess when you get blocked, you just make a new identity...

@JustJimColo Just trying to figure whose sock you are. You've been a member on the site for an hour. You've already edited your...

??????

I edited nothing. I filled out some of my profile. Is there a waiting period when joining a site to give an opinion? I only commented on your post and not 40 times.

@2734947

Well said Boz. I remember the Viet Nam protests and while we all had our opinions about it, and teachers made us discuss what was going on in current events classes, they didn't take political sides one way or the other in the classroom. Maybe that's because some of us had brothers, friends, or former classmates in Viet Nam and it wasn't a left issue or a right issue. Maybe that's what's wrong today. Everyone is told to take a stand along political lines and support every agenda of that party, or shut up.

@2734991

I kind of liked it when the schools worked for and were accountable to the parents for what they taught. Maybe it was just being from a small town.

@2735010

It sure helped in teaching kids the communities values.

Jim, those young people are participating because they want to participate.

@dru18 Jim, those young people are participating because they want to participate.

Are you sure? How many would have gone on a Saturday? Honestly? When I was in school, if somebody gave me the option of going outside for an hour, regardless of why I was out there, or sitting in class...... I also remember being forced outside for pep rallies that I didn't care anything about. (At least those were on school time, and not my own)

Kids said they were ordered to go outside by teachers. Baltimore schools spent $200K in taxpayer money to buss children to DC to protest.

@2734849

Really Lynn? A school that deosn't have enough money to pay for heating in their school is gong to pay 200K to bus kids to a protest, and you believe that is going to make schools safer?
Then you deflect it to someone buying furniture? It sounds like you really don't want to address the issue as much as you want to voice your hate for the right.

So you support teachers using children for their own political purposes... OK.

@2734862

These kids aren't doing it for their safety. Most have no clue what they are even protesting against. It's ironic that they are protesting to raise the law to buy a gun because they claim a 20 year is not mature enough to own a gun, but the same kids and people who want to eliminate guns, claim these kids are mature enough to make decisions about our constitution and policy.

We both know that getting rid of assault rifles isn't going to stop a single school shooting any more than raising the age to buy a gun isn't going to change anything. How hard is it for a criminal or an illegal of any age to get a gun. Changing laws don't do anything. How many laws do we already have against murdering people? I can't think of a one that has stopped a murder.

As to your fund... are you talking about the fund that Clooney donated 500K to, or Oprah for 500K? Or maybe move on.org for 3 million? By the way.... many schools dollars come out of Federal funds.

@2734908

Do you know how many killings have been done by "assault rifles", or even ALL rifles combined last year Linn? 374. Over 1600 were killed by knives.
Do you know why people have rifles? To kill predators, to hunt with, for self defense, to target shoot with, etc etc. There is no such thing as an assault rifle as a category of weapon Lynn. It is a made up phrase for a rifle that has a different cosmetic design than the same rifle with a classic wooden stock. A single shot 22 rifle could be an assault rifle if someone is charging at you with it. I may not need a high capacity magazine to shoot a prairie dog with but if I am defending my home and my family, I might. Ever watch a police firefight? How many rounds do they shoot in a defensive situation? A lot.

You just said that I am not giving kids enough credit for being mature, and they will be voting soon. If they claim they are too immature to own a gun, then aren't they too immature to be making decisions about who to vote for? Are they mature enough to buy alcohol and marijuana, where it is legal? Either a person is considered an adult or they aren't.

@2735072

Let’s look at just how miniscule that number of 374 is, when looking at the US.
Did you know that illegals are responsible for an average of 3,500 murders and killing 4,700 people while driving drunk, every year? That’s almost 8,000 deaths a year attributed to just illegals in our country. How many of them were children? Where is the outrage?

Lets get back to the subject of schools and violence.

Did you know that there are over 850,000 acts of violence in public schools a year in the US?
Did you know there are over 35,000 threats with weapons other than firearms in our schools each year?
Here are all the statistics about crime and violence in our schools that I cited above. There are more than you want to even read. They seem to cover up everything except the active shooters that the media and gun control nuts like to jump on.
https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2017/2017122.pdf

2,132 students are killed in school related transportation a year. Get rid of cars.
Over a 15 year period, 61 deaths were the result of arguments in school. There were 6 deaths as the result of robberies and 134 deaths that the cause was unknown. There were 24 gang related killings.
Do you know there is an average of 32.6 homicides in public schools each year? That’s 489 in a 15 year period. Why don’t we hear about those statistics? Where is the outrage about the danger in schools?
There were an estimated total of 1,299 people killed in schools and school related incidents in 15 years. That averages out to 87 school associated deaths per year. Why don’t we hear about this?? Schools are NOT a safe place in this country.

http://safehavensinternational....12_Schools.pdf

You can’t argue with real numbers. Also note that the links I gave are NOT conservative websites. :)

@2735193

There is no such thing as an assault rifle Linn. The only difference between your "assault rife" and any other semi automatic hunting rife is the "look". There is no difference in the way they work. It's like saying we need to outlaw Hummers because they are military vehicles. They do the same thing as any other SUV. They just look different.
MOST guns are made for killing. So what? I hunt. My goal is to kill an animal, be it for food or for thinning out predators. I also have guns for self defense and protection of my family. So what? Isn't that my right? Who is anyone, to say what gun I should or shouldn't have to do these things? All my guns are legal. I am experienced with all the guns I have. I am even experienced with the "assault rifles", as you call them, although I don't own one yet.
You continue to blame the gun instead of the person who pulls the trigger.
There are currently about 15 million people who own your "assault rifles" in this country. Out of those 15,000,000, how many have been used in school shooting? maybe 3 or 4? It looks like those "assault rifles" have the lowest rate of violence against people of any weapon in the country.

@2735267

Excellent suggestion...<s>

@2735425

I doubt if we'll become enemies. LOL... We may irritate the crap out of each other at times but we can still have civil debates about things we disagree on and there are some things we do agree on.

@JustJimColo Are you sure? How many would have gone on a Saturday? Honestly? When I was in school, if somebody gave me the...

I doubt they were ordered and you should know better than to believe everything you read.

This generation is a little different, in that many have been in a war zone, while sitting in class.

@JustJimColo Dru... I didn't read it. My son came home and told me about it.

Told you what? That they were forcing him to participate in a protest?

@JustJimColo yes

Jim, I hope you are not pulling my leg. Nobody should ever be forced to protest for a cause, especially one they don't believe in.

This comment was deleted.
@2734887

Both are paying. Did you real all the posts? How may pro-life rallies do you see where kids are supposedly the ones who organized it and are running them? Kids who are taken to to a pro life, or pro choice rally by their parents are not the ones reading speeches written for them. Of course kids are influenced by adults. Do you think kids should be taught morality by their parents or a teacher, whose morality beliefs may not be in line with the parent? Is a teacher there to raise your kids or to teach your children math, reading, writing and science?

@JustJimColo Both are paying. Did you real all the posts? How may pro-life rallies do you see where kids are supposedly the ones...

Teenagers have a mind of their own. If they got together and marched for prolife you wouldn't be complaining. No?

@lemonpie Teenagers have a mind of their own. If they got together and marched for prolife you wouldn't be complaining. No?

I wouldn't mind if they were doing it on their own time, anymore than I would care if they marched against guns, on their own time, and not at the direction and sanctioned by schools and teachers.

@JustJimColo I wouldn't mind if they were doing it on their own time, anymore than I would care if they marched against guns, on...

Being in a safe classroom is their business. I agree they should protest during school hours. It's their issue that affects them not you.

@JustJimColo Goodbye sock.....

She says that the welfare of our children doesn't affect us; it affects the teachers. An example of why I'm so frustrated with this idiocy.

The only good I see that might come out of this is a more politically involved generation.. but that's yet to be determined.

@PhilboydStudge The only good I see that might come out of this is a more politically involved generation.. but that's yet to be...

I actually like for kids to be politically motivated once they have matured into young adults. I just prefer they first learn how to think, learn and then decide for themselves instead of being brainwashed.

@JustJimColo I actually like for kids to be politically motivated once they have matured into young adults. I just prefer they...

Kids are coming into their own once they enter their teens. That is when they find out who they are.