Accounts of 150 million Under Armour users compromised in security breach.

I just got the Under Armour alert today. It seems like every time we turn around, another company, bank, or personnel department, has been hacked, breached, compromised etc etc etc. What can we do? We live in a digitized world. As much as we like to claim that we are off the grid, it's simply not true. If you are on any social media sites, including this one, information about you has probably already been collected and compromised. Since nothing is really done to those caught doing identity theft, we are all pretty much screwed when it happens to us.

JustJimColos avatar Technology
6 26

Works for me..

@DandyDon Works for me..

What happens when the lifelock company gets hacked? <s>

@JustJimColo What happens when the lifelock company gets hacked? <s>

Guess I'll be concerned about that if it ever happens.

Right now I'm too busy worrying about getting struck by lightning....and winning the lottery..

@2739692

I wonder that as well.What about when life lock gets hacked??

B-bbut American Greed (with Stacy Keach) - tells me the US are always catching computer crooks...even tracking them sometimes to Can.

No offense to anyone who does, but I would not use LifeLock, they share info with and are connected to Equifax. The only thing worse than getting hacked is paying the hackers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/...ing/790609001/

Use temp phone numbers to sign up for pertinent accounts online and use virtual credit cards to make payments. Turn wifi-hotpots OFF on your phone, along with locations. NEVER use your real name to create an account online. You can use the fictitious name of your choice to open accounts provided it isn't to defraud anyone. It's good to have a throw away device for your online entertainment and don't log on to your personal network or into personal accounts from it.

Those would be the top few essential rules I abide.

@ForkNdaRoad No offense to anyone who does, but I would not use LifeLock, they share info with and are connected to Equifax. The...

Good rules, too. (grimace)

I won't turn on location services even tho it would be helpful...it's slightly creepy...

For something that is supposed to be so fun and social...it feels like it's got a disease...and become a downer... It's infected everyone.

@Sukiesnow Good rules, too. (grimace) I won't turn on location services even tho it would be helpful...it's slightly...

I don't use a phone as much as most, but I might turn locations on to get directions, I just wouldn't ever wander around with it on.

It sounds overwhelming,but almost everyone has an old device they can use exclusively for sites like this and other entertainment.

@JustJimColo Glad to find someone else as paranoid as me. :)

It's really not paranoia imo. If you've had your identity stolen you don't look at it as a task either, it's better than looking back thinking "how could I have been so foolish?"

You can literally pick up an anonymous number and card off any gas station shelf in the country. Why wouldn't you?

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Equifax got hacked a while ago. nothing is going to work is it

And LifeLock profited from that hack by offering credit monitoring to those affected. What a crummy way to do people.

@ForkNdaRoad And LifeLock profited from that hack by offering credit monitoring to those affected. What a crummy way to do people.

Fork - you got that right! Probably gave them free services but then will charge if they don't cancel in time. That is why I never take the wonderful angry smilie free trials.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Fork - you got that right! Probably gave them free services but then will charge if they don't cancel in time...

That's exactly what they did and the free monitoring lasted a year so it's unlikely anyone will remember exactly when to unsubscribe. They'll probably get at least one month's fees from each of the takers. Over 145 million people were affected... That's a shitload of money if even a small fraction get taken for the first month's fees.

Some free trials are harder to unsubscribe from than others.

@ForkNdaRoad That's exactly what they did and the free monitoring lasted a year so it's unlikely anyone will remember exactly...

Yes Fork - they will earn a lot from sill people. I take my finances seriously and keep it close to me. I never remember to cancel those trial things, so I stopped doing it.

@2739801

That's awful, was that recent? You don't have to answer if you'd rather not. I hope they tracked down the shitbag who did that to you. Most don't realize that's usually what it takes. Another common misconception is that you have to have good credit to be a target.

The only thing I would hazard about the prepaid cards is to ensure you never pick one up that's been opened or has the pin scratched off already. Which sounds like a no-brainer, but many get taken by scammers who go in, gather pins and then run a piece of software to try them regularly until one hits and then immediately drain it.

PayPal's definitely an great asset. imo

@2741822

Same here, I had it out with PayPal a few years ago due to an ebay account, but they did right by me in the end.

The Visa vanilla gift card is usually the one I grab. It has fees like all the others, but it's pretty versatile.

Anonymous