+10

It is hard to argue that there are groups attempting to indoctrinate the US population by manipulating and scripting the evening news. Find out which stations in your area are owned by Sinclair and avoid them like the plague.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is an American telecommunications company that is owned by the family of company founder Julian Sinclair Smith. Headquartered in Hunt Valley, Maryland, the company is the largest television station operator in the United States by number of stations, and largest by total coverage; owning or operating a total of 193 stations across the country (233 after all currently proposed sales are approved) in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households), many of which are located in the South and Midwest. Sinclair also owns four digital multicast networks (Comet, Charge!, Stadium, and TBD) and one cable network (Tennis Channel), and owns or operates four radio stations (all based in the Pacific Northwest region). Among other non-broadcast properties, Sinclair also owns the professional wrestling promotion Ring of Honor and its streaming service Honor Club.

Sinclair's script for stationshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWLjYJ4BzvI
VicZincs avatar
6 80
@2741172

Little evidence of concerted effort to control the news by the "liberal media" Sinclair has been fined for running paid messages as "news" without disclosing that it is an advertisement.

Kushner admitted to providing pro-conservative "news" stories to Sinclair.

I would appreciate evidence of others doing the same. I would like to avoid state run media outlets no matter if they are "left" or "right".

Don't forget the Murdoch owns Fox and the Kochs own Time. Which way do they lean?

@2741216

I don't claim any such thing. I understand that outlets have biases.

I am looking for evidence that there is a concerted effort on the part of other media conglomerates to orchestrate the dissemination of specifically scripted stories. I am sure such evidence exists.

I want sources for those evidence to help me make informed choices about what I watch.

@2741221

I agree. Multiple sites is the way to go. Personally I subscribe to FOX, Al Jezera, NPR, RT, Reuters nd and BBC.

This video was interesting to me because it included stations from FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN all owned by Sinclair - that makes it hard to multi-source news if all the 'sources' are controlled by one family.

@2741258

I've seem them advertising - I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Actually, I would say just stop watching the news completely. All of our IQs would imediately begin to rise and we might even start caring about our neighbors and real problems. JMHO

@2741201

I say it often: believe nothing. There is no truth, only reasonable guesses.

@2741934

Sort of. You know when you are being honest. You should know that being truthful is not possible. We can speak without any attempt to deceive and still not speak the truth.

@2742000

Semantics. I agree to accept your definition of truth when you are conmenting. My definition is different. For me if it is not 100% it is not truth. It is an honest guess.

Please note that when I am commenting my definition of truth is different from your understanding of the truth.

@2742132

I don't know anything. It is all just my best guess as to what is real and what is nonsense

@2742251

I am guessing these are clothes. It seems like I am alive. But I don't know for sure.

@2742265

Glad you are so confident. Hope you don't mind if I am not.

@2742315

Found this, that it was apropo

@2742393

Ear witness? less reliable than eyewitness.

@2742613

Maybe you can. I have learned to never trust my eyes beyond a reasonable assumption of what might be there. That happens when you live with dyslexia.

@2742660

So many people insist on arranging things into a order that is not justified by the evidence.

@VicZinc Found this, that it was apropo

P(Vic wants to pull your leg│Vic says something) =
P(Vic says something│Vic wants to pull your leg)           x P(Vic wants to pull your leg) / P(Vic says something)

Since the probability of Vic saying something, given that he wants to pull your leg is very close to 1, and since the probability of Vic wanting to pull your leg is also very close to 1, and that the probability that Vic will say something is also very close to 1,

The probability that Vic wants to pull your leg, given that he says something ≈ 1x1/1 = 1; i.e., a near certainty.

Elementary application of Bayes' theorem. biggrin smilie

@VicZinc Nailed it. Good work. P(thinkerbell want to pull my chain) also equals 1.

Not quite, Vic. It's

P(TB wants to pull V's chain│V is talking nonsense) ≈ 1

@VicZinc Which is 100% of the time because it is all nonsense.

I was giving you the (undeserved) benefit of the doubt, especially since you have said time and again that there are no absolutes, so I am willing to estimate that you talk nonsense only 99.99% of the time.

@2742315

Best guess.

Fact is I can't, (and I submit that no one can) but most people are pretty damn good guessers and we as a species have come a good long way by trusting or guesses.

But - you never know for sure.

@2742396

Define 'pants'

@2742609

I sit here in my underwear. Have I put 'clothes' on? My wife asks if I plan on putting my pants on. What are these? These are pants - they are called under pants.

@2741201

My dad once told me to believe half of what you see (on the TV news), and nothing of what you read (in the newspaper).

@2741188

Sure is.
Let's hope the FCC let's you.
Stop mergers, support Net Neutrality, promote public broadcasting.

@2741944

Yes he should. It takes one to know one.

@VicZinc Yes he should. It takes one to know one.

Exactly. While they are making the big bucks they do as they are told. Then when they get shit-canned they complain about what they had to deal with.

@Will_Janitor Exactly. While they are making the big bucks they do as they are told. Then when they get shit-canned they...

But in Rather's case, there was no doubt that he reveled in the lefty spin. CBS just wanted to get rid of him when he got too old and his ratings were falling... memogate was the excuse they needed to fire him.

At least they are more direct that the subtle indoctrination of every other major media outlet.

@2741959

And yet he still won. Propaganda works better than "coverage". I learned that when I was studying mass perssusion at university.

@2741988

Uh huh.

@VicZinc Uh huh.

Yes indeed, Vic. Uh huh. biggrin smilie

@Thinkerbell Yes indeed, Vic. Uh huh.

Trump must be getting really tired of being accused of all the things he's done.

@Thinkerbell That has little to do with it, Vic; see directly below.

Maybe there's a reason?

I'll just leave this here

@VicZinc Maybe there's a reason? I'll just leave this here

There's no honest reason for slanted news, where CNN and NBC, for example, had headlines saying there were no smoke alarms in the Trump Tower apartment that burned. As you should know by now, that wasn't the whole truth.

And your list seems to be less than the whole truth too. Zero executive branch convictions under Obama? I seem to recall David Petraeus, Obama's CIA Director, pleaded guilty to mishandling secret documents and lying to the FBI, and paid a $100,000 fine plus two years probation.

Can you think of someone else who mishandled secret documents and lied about it, but got off scot-free?
Hmmm... think hard, Vic. biggrin smilie

@VicZinc Never indicted. Anyway it's not bias if it is accurate.

Of course, never indicted. Tell me WHY she was never indicted. It certainly wasn't for lack of evidence. biggrin smilie

And I must say, Vic, your bias standards are awfully low. Of COURSE it's bias if you emphasize negative aspects and de-emphasize positive ones, burying the latter deep in the story, or perhaps not mentioning them at all.

One of my all-time favorites is the way in which the NY Times reported Netanyahu's re-election in Israel several years ago. Here's the opening paragraph of their story:

"TEL AVIV — After a bruising campaign focused on his failings, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel won a clear victory in Tuesday’s elections and seemed all but certain to form a new government and serve a fourth term, though he offended many voters and alienated allies in the process."
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03...hu-herzog.html

In other words, that failure of a louse who offends or alienates many got re-elected. biggrin smilie biggrin smilie biggrin smilie

@VicZinc Bias exists. I am not convinced that it is a left leaning as you think it is.

Among major American news outlets, newspapers, broadcast TV and cable TV, I would estimate that what purports to be straight news reporting is about 80% left-leaning, 10% right-leaning and maybe 10% more-or-less honest.

Go back and re-read your conversation with Bozette up above; you seem to have forgotten already.

@2741988

An interesting thing happened since Trump's election regarding public perception of media left-wing bias.

Toward the end of 2016, according to Gallup, even among Democrats, only a bare majority (51%) had a fair amount or a great deal of confidence in mass-media news reporting. The numbers were far lower among Independents (30%) and Republicans (14%).

In 2017, however, the Democrats' confidence in media news soared to 72%, Independents rose to 37% and Republicans stayed at 14%.
This clearly explains why the MSM is constantly bashing Trump with slanted news stories. Not only are newspeople predominantly liberal, but their liberal base eats this kind of reporting up. It's a win-win-win echo chamber that tells the liberal base what it wants to hear, that reports what the liberal reporters want to write, and increases the liberal media profits to boot.
http://news.gallup.com/poll/219...0From%25202016

@Budwick How did you do in that class?

Straight "A"s in all my classes. But that doesn't mean I can convince you of anything.

@Budwick Exactly what I would expect from 'university'.

That's common at online or mail-order diploma mills, Bud. hehe smilie

Update. The Senate has called on the FCC chair to open an investigation into Sinclair's "deliberately distorting the news."

@VicZinc Update. The Senate has called on the FCC chair to open an investigation into Sinclair's "deliberately distorting...

Update to the "update":
It wasn't "the Senate" that called for an investigation, it was 12 senators, including 11 Democrats and Bernie Sanders, the usual suspects.
https://www.reuters.com/article...-idUSKBN1HJ2VC

You have a real talent for fake news, Vic. You should include that on your application resume to MSNBC or CNN. biggrin smilie hehe smilie biggrin smilie

@2742193

Actually the point of this site is not to 'debate' it is to agree or disagree with the opinion. Thanks in advance for you anticipated vote.

Whaddaya mean, avoid Sinclair?!

I wrestle on Women of Honor.  Are you now trying to mess with my livelihood, Vic?