-10

Feminism is unnecessary in today's developed countries.

Image for post Feminism is unnecessary in today's developed countries.
minamullins22s avatar Politics
2 60

Movements that advocate equality will be relevant and necessary as long as inequality exists

If there's no feminism in developed countries who's going to stop me from man-spreading? Or man-splaining? or not being ashamed for being a male?

@Sukiesnow Can't do without us, huh? :)

Man-spreading doesn't exist. Man-splaining is explaining. Putting man in front of everything isn't doing anything. Imagine Man-eating or man-walking or man-sleeping.

@minamullins22 Man-spreading doesn't exist. Man-splaining is explaining. Putting man in front of everything isn't doing anything...

You weren't with me that day on the subway. This guy had his leg spread so far out it was hampering mine - i mean...couldn't he see that?...I finally asked him to move it...which he did but not without irritation and annoyance.

Man-walking and -sleeping...you could be onto something...as men do have some distinct habits... Man-eating was a song directed at women I think in the 80s.

@minamullins22 That doesn't sound like a problem for just men.

Women sometimes do spread their stuff around on other seats...which they need to stop doing...it's deters people from sitting down...this is public transit after all.

Yes...both sexes can have the same problems sometimes.

@minamullins22 You just proved my point.

Ha. That doesn't take away from the man-spreading issue.

@minamullins22 Where is the proof for that?

You'd have to take the word of an oft-time public transit user.

@Sukiesnow You'd have to take the word of an oft-time public transit user.

I use public transport almost daily and nobody complains about "manspreading" or refusing to share space.

One would think, right? But no...even tho it looks like we've gotten some perks...we still have a ways to go until it's equal.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Disagree +3Reply
@minamullins22 When is "equal" ever acheived for you?

When the realization of women being equal occurs subconsciously in all people. :)

@Sukiesnow When the realization of women being equal occurs subconsciously in all people. :)

Why is it just the realization of women and not also the realization of men?

@minamullins22 Why is it just the realization of women and not also the realization of men?

We've been unequal for so many years - once that is subliminally accepted without demur...then it will automatically follow that we are all equal...and that will be followed by...etc...as we continue to spiritually elevate.

People can say things all they want: things like I'm don't see colour, or I believe in equality...and I don't believe it...since the proof is in the subconscious and how can you prove that?

LOL...Seriously? Using the term sexist to describe climate control is utterly ridiculous. I would agree that climate controlled buildings are often chilly, but the cause is not misogyny. Please...

As to your statement, I have to disagree. Feminism remains necessary because sexism still exists. So does racism, anti-Semitism, heterosexism, agism, xenophobia, etc...That's the reality and we have to deal with it. I don't believe whether or not one lives in a "developed country" is relevant when it comes to discrimination or prejudice. Bigotry is always wrong. The fact that it's worse in other countries doesn't excuse us.

pce smilie

@Chris_the_Demon LOL...Seriously? Using the term sexist to describe climate control is utterly ridiculous. I would agree that...

Bigotry is wrong. But feminism isn't what it used to be. Sexism is illegal, so you can sue for sexism. Explain what feminism means, to you.

@minamullins22 Bigotry is wrong. But feminism isn't what it used to be. Sexism is illegal, so you can sue for sexism. Explain what...

To me feminism means equality between the sexes. Socially, politically, economically, legally, etc...

Unfortunately we don't have that yet. Consider this...

Women who work full-time earn only 80.5 cents for every dollar earned by men.

Women hold about 52% of all the professional level jobs in America, but only about 14% of executive level positions are held by women. And only about 5% of Fortune 500 companies have a female CEO.

There are only 21 women in the senate and 83 women in the house. Only about 33% of all the state and federal judges are women.

I could go on and on and on...

pce smilie

Nothing is unnecessary.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree +2Reply
@VicZinc Nothing is unnecessary.

That isn't proving anything, and isn't true. If you are for feminism, feminism isn't unnecessary. But is sexism necessary?

@minamullins22 That isn't proving anything, and isn't true. If you are for feminism, feminism isn't unnecessary. But is sexism...

Good question. Philosophical I would say yes. Anything that exists is a necessary consequent of all the events that lead to its existence.

Something exist if, and only if, their antecedents exist and is therefore a necessary condition for the next eventuality.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Disagree -1Reply

In a dream, yes.

Pretty sure sexism is still rampant in today's developed countries so I'm gonna have to disagree with this heavily.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +2Reply
@Skr3wBall Pretty sure sexism is still rampant in today's developed countries so I'm gonna have to disagree with this heavily.

First of all, sexism isn't "rampant". It isn't flourishing, and it isn't unchecked. There is court for a reason.

Also, noone said sexism was good.

@minamullins22 First of all, sexism isn't "rampant". It isn't flourishing, and it isn't unchecked. There is court for a...

Court doesn't handle much sexism. It's definitely rampant, I see way too much sexism in my day to day to call it anything other than rampant.

And you're right, no one said sexism was good, did something I say imply otherwise?

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree -1Reply
@Skr3wBall Court doesn't handle much sexism. It's definitely rampant, I see way too much sexism in my day to day to call it...

Court doesn't handle much sexism because thats not the only thing they deal with. What sort of sexism do you see in your day to day? We may live in different worlds.

Also, I just wanted to state that because not stating that may cause miscommunication.

@minamullins22 Court doesn't handle much sexism because thats not the only thing they deal with. What sort of sexism do you see in...

People telling women to get back in the kitchen, people saying women are horrible drivers, women should dress certain ways, women can't compete in certain things. Someone literally just told me that women shouldn't be allowed in the army on this website. Women's products are often priced higher, much of women's pants don't have pockets for the sake of selling handbags, women's rights are largely decided by men in countless countries. Do you really feel that sexism is not all over?

gotta keep on that or men start pushing you down again.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred gotta keep on that or men start pushing you down again.

Of course, we hate women so much there is nothing else we would like to do than to remind the common woman that she's inferior, we totally don't have mothers or daughters and definitely have no reason to ever love women (sarcasm in case someone thinks I was serious)

Nope. Rape still happens, misogyny happens, wage disparity happens. You need to understand reality before you try to dismiss osmething that's there to improve life. Feminism is actually for the benefit of all humanity. It's not "anti-men"...it's anti misogyny, anti-rape, and anti toxic masculinity.

Trishs avatar Trish Disagree +1Reply
@Trish Nope. Rape still happens, misogyny happens, wage disparity happens. You need to understand reality before you try...

Okay? For men; rape still happens, misandry happens, wage disparity happens. All those rape stats come from college campuses anyways.

Anyways why is it "anti misogyny, anti-rape, and anti toxic masculinity," And not also anti-misandry, and anti-toxic femininity?

@minamullins22 Okay? For men; rape still happens, misandry happens, wage disparity happens. All those rape stats come from college...

lol "toxic femininity"? That's not a thing. Furthermore no,those stats aren't all college campuses. And wage disparity is in me's favor so ...logic please. Misandry doesn't kill. Just educate yourself to reality, if you can.

Trishs avatar Trish Disagree -1Reply
@Trish lol "toxic femininity"? That's not a thing. Furthermore no,those stats aren't all college campuses. And wage...

When I said toxic femininity, I meant the female equivalent, and not the literal definition. The stats that aren't from college campuses don't matter because there is court for a reason. Wage disparity is not in men's favor. Stating the fact twice is doing nothing. The "wage gap" is just the average earnings of men and women, and doesn't account for anything else. If "misandry doesn't kill" is seriously one of your arguments then the wage gap, which doesn't exist, doesn't kill either?

Sometimes, I guess.

I need a little moire to go on here. Are you speaking of anything specific? I'm unaware of 'sexist air conditioning claims'.

@2742386

Hahaha, what else will they make up? So desperately searching for a purpose they will accuse everything of sexism.

@2743194

The saying " You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain" is in play here, I think feminists should focus on places where women are in real oppression rather than focus on 1st world countries and make up new things like manspreading, pink tax and toxic masculinity.

@2743230

Very, very well said.

@2742386

Oh. Good. Grief.

@2742386

Oh my goodness. It's about the office temperature? I thought maybe the air conditioning trade favored men or something.

Put on a Sweater and get over it!