What's up with the rise in murders taking place in London?

The murder rate in London, United Kingdom is up a staggering 40% in just three years; topping New York City for the first time in recorded history and raising alarm bells throughout Britain over escalating stabbings and shootings across the capital.

According to Yahoo News, 15 people were murdered in London in February compares to 14 in America’s largest city. The gruesome statistics were similar in March, with 22 people killed in the UK capital compared to 21 in New York City.

The shocking tally means the murder rate in London has risen by 40% in just three years; the stark opposite to New York’s crime statistics which have fallen by nearly 90% since Mayor Rudolph Giuliani’s harsh crackdown in the 1990s.

Unlike the United States, most murders in the United Kingdom are committed with knives and other non-firearm weapons.

“There’s definitely something about the impact of social media in terms of people being able to go from slightly angry with each other to ‘fight’ very quickly,” said Scotland Yard’s chief of Knife Crime.

JustJimColos avatar Law
10 65
@2742824

How horribly sad. I had no idea.

@2742824

I've been to London a few times as a tourist and enjoyed the trips. In decades past, it always seemed like a safe place to go. So many places, especially throughout Europe, are in the news a lot lately about the violence. It won't be long before people go from weighing which cities to visit, based on what they want to see, and where they feel safe. There are a few cities in the US I would never visit today.

@2742824

John I once heard that cops are not allowed to harm criminals in the UK, as in the moped gangs that steal people's bikes and motors, they throw off their helmets and the cops stop chasing in order to avoid harming them. Is that true?

@2742927

And no one in the UK is seeing the problem with this picture?

@2742824

That's nothing, compared to Chicago, which has had 113 homicide victims thus far in 2018.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/n...htmlstory.html
And Chicago, with a population of 2.7 million, is less than 1/3 the population of London!

@2742947

London seems to be on track this year to match its worst year for homicides, 2003, when they had 204.

@2742955

But Shipman was already in jail in 2003...
(hanged himself in Jan, 2004).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman

@2742976

But, but, but... Shipman would already have been in prison in 2002 also. According to the wiki article above, his trial ended on 31 January 2000, when he was found guilty and then sentenced to life imprisonment. think smilie

@2743135

Very strange...

One would think they would simply revise the murder figures for the particular years in which his victims died.

@2743151

Alas, it is just as I feared,
When the murder statistics appeared:
The numbers were placed
In the wrong year, in haste,
And 'twas John who said Brits are quite weird. *

• It wasn't me, John! biggrin smilie
@2743266

Well... ok, if you insist. biggrin smilie

There once was a bloke called weird John,
Who always looked haggard and drawn
Whenever he went
Near a No-Go Zone, meant
To make sure that the dhimmis were gone.

@2743277

That could have been taken either way.
You should have been more precise. biggrin smilie

@2743299

No finer a pic could be drawn
Of that gentle and sweet bloke named John:
Always quick to forgive
And to live and let live,
Whene'er he would choose to log on.

(see... I'm not always mean) hehe smilie

It's cultural enrichment. How exciting and exotic the city of London is now. Why, it hardly resembles boring old England at all.

@Maze It's cultural enrichment. How exciting and exotic the city of London is now. Why, it hardly resembles boring old...

Well, of course, Maze. Diversity is a fine thing.
Just ask any liberal Democrat if you don't believe me.

It's the knives. They must be banned. Save the World.

@2742944

I was employing the use of sarcasm JD. You actually think that I would be serious posting that?

Seems like gun ban/control works.

@2742876

It might be the sequel, "Muslim Werewolves in London".

@JustJimColo It might be the sequel, "Muslim Werewolves in London".

Hey you wanna get up North then see how many fuckin Muslims are kicking about.smirk2 smilie乂º◡^乂

@2742943

Werewolf's we eat them for breakfast! hehe smilie
乂^◡^乂

@2743138

Hehe nah just chips and gravy. 乂^◡^乂

@2743152

Ah lass is from down South she's all posh with chips and soup. hehe smilie
乂^◡^乂

@2742876

Hehe totally awesome film. 乂º◡^乂

I didn't know about it. I am in usa and even the brit news i watch sometimes didn't talk of it. Probably just the way rgw world is going everybody is violent and crime increases as l nobody cares about anything but themselves and drugs and crime

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I didn't know about it. I am in usa and even the brit news i watch sometimes didn't talk of it. Probably just...

I think that some believe, if they don't report it, it isn't happening. We don't hear about all the violence anymore. We only hear about selective stories that promote an agenda. We don't hear a peep about soldiers still dying in Afghanistan. All we hear about is the left vs the right.

Anonymous