Will You Be Seeing Chappaquiddick [the movie] this weekend?

The Chappaquiddick incident was a single-vehicle car accident that occurred on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts, on Friday, July 18, 1969. The late night accident was caused by Senator Ted Kennedy's negligence, and resulted in the death of his 28-year-old passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, who was trapped inside the vehicle.

According to his own testimony, Kennedy accidentally drove his car off the one-lane bridge and into a tidal channel. He swam free, left the scene, and did not report the accident to the police for ten hours; meanwhile, Kopechne died inside the fully submerged car.

Image for post Will You Be Seeing Chappaquiddick [the movie] this weekend?
0% You bet! It takes a lot of guts to tell this story while Ted Kennedy is still alive and holding power in the US Senate. Oh....wait. Nevermind. 25% Sure! It's an "untold" story willfully ignored by the left. 0% No, I'm a democrat dope. 0% Sure, why not? Who is Ted Kennedy? 75% Other
Budwicks avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
6 22

What a bunch of animals those people were.

@2742869

That's what I've heard too.

I'll wait for it to hit the small screen as well.

@JustJimColo I'll wait for it to hit the small screen as well.

I don't see this one becoming a blockbuster. It might be out for rent in a matter of weeks.

Probably not. I rarely go to the movies. I'll wait for it drop on Netflix.

Makes you think though... I wonder what would have happened had it been just an average person driving rather than a Kennedy. Hard to imagine he or she would have gotten a two month suspended sentence.

Nothing like having money and the right connections to help get one over the rough spots. roll smilie

@Budwick Man, you got that right! And yet, he was voted back into the senate 5 more times!

That doesn't really surprise me.

The reality is he was considered to be an effective senator who accomplished many good things.

And for many of that generation just the name "Kennedy" was more than enough. My grandmother LOVED the Kennedys.

Besides people are capable of justifying all kinds of bad behavior when it comes to their political beliefs.

roll smilie

@Chris_the_Demon That doesn't really surprise me. The reality is he was considered to be an effective senator who accomplished many...

Again - I can't argue with that.

Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts helped to promote The Hart–Celler Act which abolished the quota system based on national origins that had been American immigration policy since the 1920s.

That laid the ground work for the immigration disasters we have today.

I was listening to the whole thing when it happened and ever since. So I doubt it.

"Democrat dope"? WTF Bud, grow up.

@VicZinc "Democrat dope"? WTF Bud, grow up.

Feel free to modify that option to read what ever you prefer Vic.
I am nothing if not flexible.

@Budwick Feel free to modify that option to read what ever you prefer Vic. I am nothing if not flexible.

I remember hearing about Chappaquiddick when I was a kid, 11 or 12 years old. I never trusted Ted or any Kennedy after that.

@VicZinc I remember hearing about Chappaquiddick when I was a kid, 11 or 12 years old. I never trusted Ted or any Kennedy...

I was 19. The Moon landing was big news at the time. I suppose that worked in Ted's favor.
He was voted back into the senate 5 more times following this incident! Apparently the good folks in Mass didn't hold a grudge

@VicZinc Well he was found innocent. But it all seemed suspicious to me, even at that age.

I don't think so Vic.

Newsweek - August 1969 -
Ted Kennedy Car Accident in Chappaquiddick
By Newsweek Staff On 8/3/69 at 8:00 PM
News

With that mumbled response in a crowded Edgartown, Mass., courtroom last week, the last Kennedy broke a week's pained and damaging silence on the night that changed his life—and moved to short up the last tottering towers of Camelot. He had spent his longest week closeted with kinsmen and advisers against a gray drizzly chill that blanketed Hyannis Port, wondering whether his and his family's claim on the Presidency of the U.S. had died in the auto accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne. The decision to plead guilty was the easiest part of the strategy they worked out—an utterly routine deal in which Teddy took a two-month suspended sentence and averted a potentially messy trial. The critically hard second step came some 10 hours later when Kennedy went on television before and estimated 35 million Americans with an extraordinary confession that he had fled in panicky confusion from a crisis—a flight he himself judged "indefensible"—and threw himself on the mercy of the only jury that finally counted: the voters of his state and his nation.

His 17-minute speech was, as one sympathetic politician said afterward, "a Checkers speech with class"—a mea culpa as affecting and as exquisitely crafted as the Kennedys and all their gifted retainers could make it. It was, at its poignant best, a dramatic admission that even Kennedys are vulnerable to that all too human impulse to run away from trouble—an instinct that most men experience and not all master. But the hard fact remained that for all the conceptual brilliance of the TV presentation, Ted Kennedy still had not answered the questions of what really happened the night his car ran off a rickety bridge into a pond on Martha's vineyard's lonely satellite, Chappaquiddick Island.

@Budwick I don't think so Vic. Newsweek - August 1969 - Ted Kennedy Car Accident in Chappaquiddick By Newsweek Staff On...

I stand corrected.
He is guilty of leaving the scene. Not drunk driving or killing - or whatever. Guilty is guilty. Either way, never cared much for the guy.

Jesus Christ! Did the bastard get away with it? 乂ᵒ .ᴼ乂

Probably not...
Not much of a movie person.

I would probably watch..Back To The Future...again before I watched that..